The Student Room Group

Ski / Snowboard thread

Had a brief search but couldn't find any proper threads which surprised me.

Any snowheads out there? There must be surely :smile:

Been skiing since I was a kid as we had a dry slope near us and the school ran a ski club. Absolutely love it and enjoy getting away when money / time allows, for me it's not just the skiing itself but the whole experience; staying in a chalet with friends, eating lunch out on the mountain etc, going to clubs in full snow gear haha.

Last trip was to Flaine, not one of the most popular resorts but enough to have fun with and cheap compared to some of the others. I'm a park skier myself and enjoy spending time on rails and jumps, but do enjoy the mountain as a whole.

Few snaps from Flaine, feel free to post your own!

Reply 1
One of my favourite sports and one that I hope to do a lot more when I'm at uni in Scotland. I wish it were winter / I had money.

As for pictures:

Le tunnel, Alpe d'Huez
I went down it in March 2010. It was only my second week of skiing and it's crazy enough for veteran skiers. I can't quite find a picture that does it justice, so has anybody tried this? Nearby Sarenne is poor in comparison; it's only the longest black run in Europe because the latter half is borderline cross-country!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I am on the snow head forum, I have not skied for a while, but hoping to get back into it, hoping to meet people at Uni who do it so I have people to go away with!
Reply 3
Harve, pics always seem to make runs look less intimidating but that still looks pretty scary. Looks like a lot of moguls too, I'm useless at them haah.

IamLAD, most unis have a snow society, great way to meet people and you get to go on some great cheap holidays as they get a huge bulk discount due to the numbers
Reply 4
Hoping to go to Edinburgh and I think they do a lot of skiing, last time I went was 4/5 years ago I think and my dad and brother did that insane off piste in Chamonix but I was "To young".
Reply 5
Original post by EGjeff

I'm a park skier myself and enjoy spending time on rails and jumps, but do enjoy the mountain as a whole.

Sickkk! I'm a snowboarder and I absolutely LOVE park! Have you ever done any comps? :biggrin:
Reply 6
Nah, no where near that good - I'd say I'm slightly above average, you?

Absolutely crazy how good some of the kids are that grow up near the mountains, was getting put to shame by 16 year olds when I was in flaine haha.
Sorry to spam your thread with this but Im under orders to advertise here so I will just once:
If you are a new student coming to Brunel University, London or are already here and are interested in Skiing or Snowboarding then this is the club for you.
We offer training and competing in racing and freestyle for both skiing and snowboarding whether you are well seasoned or want to try something new. Even if you have never skied or boarded before and always wanted a go then we offer basic lessons too.
This is all fantastic fun but the greatest thing about BSC is without a doubt the annual ski trip. We all head out to France for a week on the slopes and in the clubs. It is truly an unforgettable experience.
So if you are interested in fantastic sporting opportunities and an even better social life then don't forget to sign up at freshers week.
Anyone withy any questions about the club or the uni feel free to post and I will get back to you.

On a better note Ive been Skiing all my life and have done boarding over the past 4 or so years. Uni is a great way to get into it. Really starting to get into Racing and park with my club. Really want some winter right now to get back on the slopes.
Reply 8
Original post by EGjeff
Nah, no where near that good - I'd say I'm slightly above average, you?

Absolutely crazy how good some of the kids are that grow up near the mountains, was getting put to shame by 16 year olds when I was in flaine haha.

I've only ever done the one comp, but it was really good fun :tongue: For a girl, I think my park is fairly good, but compared to most guys on the mountain I'm not that great :biggrin: Yeah those little kids who can do double corks and all that drive me mad! It's not fair!
I like skiing!

Quick Reply