The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Soft fails and Hard fails?

Hi Guys, I really messed up my first year by going too hard on parties and not attending lectures (which is really stupid) as consequence I have now 4 soft and 3 hard fails. My question is do I have to resit all of them ? even the soft ones ? what if I fail again ?
Reply 1
I don't know what are soft and hard fails I'm afraid.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by RodrigoB
Hi Guys, I really messed up my first year by going too hard on parties and not attending lectures (which is really stupid) as consequence I have now 4 soft and 3 hard fails. My question is do I have to resit all of them ? even the soft ones ? what if I fail again ?
As far as I know you'll have to resist any modules below 40% and if you fail again cannot progress onto the second year. Essays will be sent to your school over the holiday and for exams you'll obviously have to physically turn up to resist them. But this is what I've been told by second and third years in my department (politics)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3

See point 10 here:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/academicservices/qualitymanual/studyregulations/studyregulationsforundergraduatecourses.aspx
Reply 4

so for example. I have 3 hard fails(20-30%) and 4 soft fails(30-38%). Do I need to resit it all ? including the soft fail ?
A fail is a fail, no matter how you look at it.

So... redo all of them? Idk.
Reply 6
so for example. I have 3 hard fails(20-30%) and 4 soft fails(30-38%). Do I need to resit it all ? including the soft fail ?

You have to resit until you meet (at least) one of the four progression criteria. That is:

1) Pass everything

2) pass at least 80 credits, with an average of >= 40% and no hard fails

3) pass at least 100 credits, with an average of >= 50%

4) pass at least 90 credits, with an average of >= 45%, and at most one (10 credits worth) hard fail

If you meet one of them, you can progress to the next stage.

Quick Reply