The Student Room Group

Threatened by local chav

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kidomo
it is amazing how areas further from the central London are dodgy and poor..glad i live in Central London:biggrin:

I don't mean to belittle the poor, but I would do my best to fight this inequality in the Parliament:wink:

Which explains why the nicest areas in the UK are nowhere near Central London. If anything, Central London suffers from MORE crime than the areas further area.
Reply 21
Original post by La Esmerelda
Jog on mate.

Thanks to everyone else. Can't really do anything but just avoid that area...

You ignored him on purpose when he approached you because of the way he looked/dressed, and you dare come here behaving like a little lost lamb that strayed too far...
(edited 11 years ago)
Earlier I was on the phone to my boyfriend and when I noticed a guy standing really close behind me. He apologised, then moved out the way but kept saying "hello", "hello", "excuse me" and I just ignored him and walked faster (he was a chav). Bearing in mind I was *on the phone* and then he jogged up to me (he hadn't given up) and said "Excuse me can I talk to you" and I said "I'm on the phone" and carried on walking. He then shouted at me TRAMP and collected a bunch of stones and threw them at me.

I'm quite frightened- what if I see him again and he's worse the next time? Its a certain dodgy area in my borough (it has an estate near it) and my brother has been mugged there before and my other brother's run into trouble there too but I was just on the phone during the day! Regretting giving up my self defence lessons now :frown: My boyfriend says there's no point reporting it to the police but I just don't know what to do. I live next door to a family of chavs as well. Sorry this is probably a very pointless thread.

you don't need self defense lessons, neither does anyone else. one swift hoof in the *******s is all it takes.
Well he had to walk on a bit to collect them-I hadn't realised he'd thrown them but then they ricocheted on the lampost.

Urh what a freak. if only we could carry around pepper spray.
I get that at school, well they are frowing them at my friend but still... Anyway to all the people that replied that she is a snob, well how can people not be snobbish towards people like him. She did nothing wrong, well in Britian we do not like random strangers come up to use as we are reserved. It was only a natural recation, it was the persons fault for ignoring the fact that she clearly did not want to talk to him, be realistic that person was an idiot, blame peope like this to why there are stereotypes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
you're lucky the chav didn't bite you. you would've turned into a chav aswell
Reply 26
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
you don't need self defense lessons, neither does anyone else. one swift hoof in the *******s is all it takes.

Yeah, because you won't be beaten to an inch of your life if you miss. Fantastic advice there, really.
Reply 27
Bring a can of anti-perspirant with you in your handbag - if he approaches you just unleash hell with it in his eyes, then leg it. To be honest though, I doubt he would do anything major if he saw you lurking round the endz.

There's no I in team, but there's an I in pie.
Reply 28
It's frustrating right ?? Had the same experience before. Your brother is right no point calling the police they can't do anything. Don't bother complaining to the council, nothing will change. Just literally move away from that area. That's the only solution.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 29
But before u moves away, teach them
A lesson. Let you figure out the detail. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by iSoftie
To be frank, I bet he wasn't a "chav" and you are just a middle-class snob and if he was, ignore him they usually talk rubbish.

Neg all you want- poor people aren't always mean/thugs.

The neg you are recieving is for calling someone who had an upsetting episode a middle class snob...and then saying 'but if they were a chav just ignore them'.

This woman was being harrassed by a strange man who then physically assaulted her.
Original post by Orihime
You ignored him on purpose when he approached you because of the way he looked/dressed, and you dare come here behaving like a little lost lamb that strayed too far...

Once again, you got what you deserved bitch.

If some stranger approached me in the street whilst i was talking to someone important on my phone I would ignore them, regardless of how they are dressed.
Maybe the way you said "I'm on the phone" annoyed him, if you said it abruptly he might have taken offence but there was no excuse for him to call you a tramp and throw stones at you, that's thuggish behaviour. All you can really do is try to avoid the area if it's notorious for muggings and try not to get your phone out for all to see if it's an expensive one, you might be putting yourself at higher risk of attracting unwanted attention.
Original post by Orihime

Original post by iSoftie
Silly woman.

Everyone has the right to ignore a stranger - they could be any kind of psycho, middle class or not. If he was trying to help her out / make polite conversation, why start throwing stones?

You two have serious chips on your shoulders.

Edit: Of course, to balance that out, it's possible the OP was giving out signals of snobbiness or something - I know we've only heard one side of the story.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by isoftie
he wanted to say something and he was being polite imo.
"excuse me?"

much better than the chavvy: "oi! Oi! You, oi!"

silly woman.

he threw stones at her...

Throw stones at strangers = chav.
Original post by Orihime

Well I was right about him because he ended up throwing stones at me. Anyway the point was that I was on the phone and he saw and asked if he could talk to me. About what??? I'm already on the phone!

You're clearly quite dense, so I won't bother pointing out the flaws in your argument-as a previous poster said, you definitely have a chip on your shoulder.

Goodbye!
Reply 36
Don't walk around dodgy areas on your phone!!! It obviously doesn't justify him throwing stones at you or talking to you the way he did, but don't draw attention to yourself then people will hopefully ignore you :smile:
Reply 37
Don't be frightened. Be prepared to give as good as you get. I am guessing the guy sensed your fear and lack of confidence. Sometimes a clear "**** off - I'm not interested" can work wonders.

People like this prey on the fact that you initially ignore them and show signs of weakness. I am not saying that it is your fault or deserved this kind of treatment but it is just sort of a fact. Try to appear more confident and nip these situations in the bud straight off.
(edited 11 years ago)
Cal the police and report it.
Who ever this guy was he was clearly a nasty piece of work.

He might have had harmless intentions to start with but why would you try to talk to someone who's already on the phone? That just seems plain rude to me and self-centered. As you'e so important that a complete stranger should stop a prior conversation to listen to you.

I'm sorry he got abusive and threw stuff at you, unfortunately some guys will do this. Plenty of time I or people I know have had abuse thrown at them for ignoring some idiot who was trying to talk to them or yelling stuff at them.

Calling the police now won't do much I'm afraid, as you won't be able to give them a name and they won't know where he lives etc. They just won't be able to find him.

However if you see him again and he acts abusive again then do call the police straight away. Go round a corner so he can't see you and ring them. The police can turn out really quickly and if hey know the area he's in and have a description they can probably pick him up.

Quick Reply