The Student Room Group

AQA Resistant Materials Exam

I'm doing the exam on wednesday the 27th. Anyone got any advice or resources for the preliminary material. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Yeahh I'm doing the exam to, apparently the exam is going to revolve around storage fittings and charles rennie mackintosh? Do you have any idea to what else might come up??
Did it say it was going to be based on storage fittings?
Hi, Im doing the exam too, although i have come up with the same box shaped designs for question 1. Just include his roses/flower things, lines and small squares, that should do it. Yeah the preliminary material said it would be about charles rennie mackintosh and storage units, although I think it may ask for small storage units.
My teacher said to draw small gadget tidies for things like gadgets, jewellery, etc.
Original post by Dandaman9999
My teacher said to draw small gadget tidies for things like gadgets, jewellery, etc.

Could the gadget tidies take a more modern theme? Or be specifically for a certain gadget, like a phone or consol?
Original post by Prof Dumbledore
Could the gadget tidies take a more modern theme? Or be specifically for a certain gadget, like a phone or consol?

Well it depends on the question itself... If they ask for a storage unit for jewellery then design various jewellery boxes but if it says design a gadget tidy then do that :smile:

But, in regards to your question, I think you can do it either way. As long as you mention that 'this gadget tidy is for x gadget' or 'this gadget tidy can be used to organise all gadgets that the owner has'. And you can design your themes around the gadget I guess, yes :smile:
Well it depends on the question itself... If they ask for a storage unit for jewellery then design various jewellery boxes but if it says design a gadget tidy then do that :smile:

But, in regards to your question, I think you can do it either way. As long as you mention that 'this gadget tidy is for x gadget' or 'this gadget tidy can be used to organise all gadgets that the owner has'. And you can design your themes around the gadget I guess, yes :smile:

Thanks :smile: do you put notes next to each design or is that only when you go into detail in the next question?
Original post by Prof Dumbledore
Thanks :smile: do you put notes next to each design or is that only when you go into detail in the next question?

Note making is in the detailed question :smile:
Note making is in the detailed question :smile:

Reply 10
Original post by Tanvir.A
Yeahh I'm doing the exam to, apparently the exam is going to revolve around storage fittings and charles rennie mackintosh? Do you have any idea to what else might come up??

thats what my teacher told me as well
thought the exam was really hard...............
Reply 12
wasnt great. Section A was good but what did people put for the orange juice questions and the CAM question?
Reply 13
Original post by James_01
wasnt great. Section A was good but what did people put for the orange juice questions and the CAM question?

those two were elatively easy-orange juice question is bsasically plastic is made from oils, non-renewable, pollutting, toxic fumes given off when burnt etc. glass is made rom sand, non-renewable, but plentiful, can be recycled, takes energy to make etc.
cam-cheep to make one off, easy to change design, can be produced quickly, can make large variety of designs, less labour etc. but expensive materials, uses a lot of electricity, expensive machines, difficult to use etc.

what really got me were the ones on the clock and the one on smart materials. reckon there'll be a lower grade boundary than last year. what do you think?
Reply 14
smart materials wasnt that bad

carbon fibre is lightweight and robust and is used in racing cars

polymorgh is a plastic that is hard when cool but becomes soft when heated and is used in prototyping

thermocramatic plastic is a plastic that changes colour depending on the tempreature and is used in baby products and kettles

the only hard one was the oil grease question which you can guess is a lubricant of some kind
Reply 15
What did you guys put for the research question? Two types of research and explaination...
Reply 16
err i wrote market research anylsing current products and how you can make yours stand out and manufacture research what materials would be ideal for each purpose
I forgot to put measurements for my final design of section A! :frown: Why oh why?
Reply 18
ouch thats the 3 easiest marks on the paper. Still only 3/120. What did other people put the two types of research?
Tell me about it! I was kicking myself so much after I'd realised
I put:
1) find the average size of a computer keyboard so that it can fit comfortably in the key board holder

and for number 2... I've forgotten :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending