Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Xbox 360 slim - any good?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Since my ageing 360 has recently been diagnosed with ringworm, might be a good opprotunity to upgrade, I have a 250gb hdd for it (One of the custom one's) so ideally, an old style xbox would work.

Worth upgrading to a new stlye slim box?

Have they had worming treatment or do they still like to wipe their **** on the carpet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go for the ps3 instead, new gaming experience (if you havent owned a ps3 before) , the slimline ones don't have the yellow light of death (similar to the red ring of death on xbox) and free online play :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my R800i
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The slim 360s don't suffer from the overheating problems of their predecessors, but to be honest that problem was pretty much eliminated even in the later versions of the "fat" model. Personally, I'd try and get my hands on one of the more recent fat models, as it'll save you money and you'll be able to use your HDD with it.

Ignore the post about getting a PS3 - they're good consoles, but you'll have a hard time playing your Xbox games on it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definately worth picking up a new one. I still have the fat model and the amount of noise it makes by just being on is unbearing compared to the new xbox's silence.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tallen90)
    The slim 360s don't suffer from the overheating problems of their predecessors, but to be honest that problem was pretty much eliminated even in the later versions of the "fat" model. Personally, I'd try and get my hands on one of the more recent fat models, as it'll save you money and you'll be able to use your HDD with it.

Ignore the post about getting a PS3 - they're good consoles, but you'll have a hard time playing your Xbox games on it!
    I've been speaking to a few people about this - general opinion is that the PS3 is pretty much as unreliable as the Xbox.

The one thing that always annoyed me most about my fatty was the noise from the DVD drive, but they used many different drives and it's hit and miss as to which one's fitted, I just happened to have the noisy hitachi drive.

A mate of mine had one of the original fattys before HDMI, that wasn't too noisy, and another mate had a 2008 fatty, that was really quiet...

I'm thinking I'm gonna get a fatty for simplicity, there's not reasonably priced new one's around though, people want £200 for em!

Might take a chance on a £60 second hand one from gamestation.. I can always take it back and shout at them if it breaks within a month or so.....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rufusw5)
    I've been speaking to a few people about this - general opinion is that the PS3 is pretty much as unreliable as the Xbox.

The one thing that always annoyed me most about my fatty was the noise from the DVD drive, but they used many different drives and it's hit and miss as to which one's fitted, I just happened to have the noisy hitachi drive.

A mate of mine had one of the original fattys before HDMI, that wasn't too noisy, and another mate had a 2008 fatty, that was really quiet...

I'm thinking I'm gonna get a fatty for simplicity, there's not reasonably priced new one's around though, people want £200 for em!

Might take a chance on a £60 second hand one from gamestation.. I can always take it back and shout at them if it breaks within a month or so.....
    Within a year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezaberry)
    Within a year.
    Maybe, I know alot of my mates have traded their fatty's in for slims so I'm hoping that's what I'll get, either way if it breaks after a year - they're £60. A 250gb slim is about £200 these days.

These are the 60 gig fatty's, which were the most reliable, so they have half a chance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rufusw5)
    Maybe, I know alot of my mates have traded their fatty's in for slims so I'm hoping that's what I'll get, either way if it breaks after a year - they're £60. A 250gb slim is about £200 these days.

These are the 60 gig fatty's, which were the most reliable, so they have half a chance.
    I had 3 fatties lol, they all broke A 20gb pre-HDMI, a 20gb HDMI and a 60gb one. I think I just have bad luck with Xboxes, so I got a PS3 instead haha :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I aint buying a PS3, too many 360 games for that, and it has to be a fatty. Why? My mate brought his slim round the other day - after my dog had switched it off with his nose 3 times my mind was made up. Touch sensitive power buttons aren't all they cracked up to be!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amarjit18)
    Go for the ps3 instead, new gaming experience (if you havent owned a ps3 before) , the slimline ones don't have the yellow light of death (similar to the red ring of death on xbox) and free online play :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my R800i
    new gaming experience? rofl.. xbox live is only about 20x more competitive, people on ps3 typically suck

and the online is free because the service isn't as good as XBL. everyone on XBL has a mic, there's more free downloadable content, u can access ur friends/messages in-game, there's cross-game party chat etc.

OP - yeah get xbox slim. it has a built in wireless adapter aswell u so u don't need to plug in an ethernet cable to go online (looks 100x better too)

edit: i've had 2 different xbox's over 4 years, none have broke or been red ring'd. don't know how everyone elses is breaking lol

infantry is a game based purely on skill, and is probably more fun than any games u are currently playing now. i used to play it when it was big (back in 1999-2004), but then sony bought it and started charging for it so the game population dropped significantly.

good news is that it's free again, and has been picking up players again over the past few months. i can't stress to any of u how fun this game is. please don't assume that this game is like WoW/diablo/runescape - ur hits aren't calculated by a random number generator. how hard u hit someone depends on their armor, energy and how far they are from u. u don't click on something and watch ur character fight it (like u do in other MMORPG's), in this game u actually control everything ur character does. it's all about aiming, dodging and timing ur shots.

when u play COD, as soon as u turn a corner a newb takes u down with 1 bullet. that's boring. u can really **** people up in this game no matter how much of an advantage they have on u (obviously depending on how good u are). there are hundreds of different armor/weapons so u can be creative, and there's like 30 different classes to choose from (u get to customise it after u pick it obviously).

download it at www.freeinfnatry.org and spread the word. here's a video of some gameplay:

if u watched that and ur still unsure, try the game out for 20-30 minutes. why not? u will probably get raped left, right and centre because everyone who plays is pretty much an old 1999-2004 player but it's still great fun. it's a game that will never get boring no matter how long u play it.

edit: if u do download it, i recommend this setup:
    A - strafe left
    D - strafe right
    S - primary weapon
    W - secondary weapon

"Enter to type"

ur choice if u want to aim with arrow keys or mouse (i use keys, but most use mouse). my alias is "Armored Armadillo", give me a PM or something if u see me online

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.