The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York - Night life!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joy_93
This thread has reassured me about York so hopefully we'll be fine haha! & As for your accent, there'll be loads of different accents floating about so you shouldn't worry! And if people won't be able to understand you, you'll have to just hold a whiteboard up :smile:

Management :smile: What about you?

I'm so excited!
I've firmed for Biological and Medicinal Chemistry. :biggrin:
University of York
York
Reply 21
I've lived and been out in Manchester and London. Although York nightlife is a lot smaller scale I have had so many amazing nights out here. There are 3 union endorsed club nights a week (Tuesday = salvation, Thursday = Tokyo, Sunday = Revs), everyone who does a sport goes to Mansion on a Wednesday. Fibbers and Vudu don't do student nights but play good music if you fancy a slightly different night. There is also Willow. Willow is a tiny, disgusting, cheap little club that is open to students only up til about 4:30am every night which used to be a Chinese Restaurant by day, until it lost its food safety license. As awful a place as it may sound it is so much fun and will leave you with a lot of memorable nights and memory lapses :wink:

I go out 2 or 3 times a week on average and the thing about York nights I really love is that i'll always run into other people I know aside from the people I'm going out with.

'Chav'/banter wise? You'll be fine :smile: On the whole the people I've encountered here are really friendly and accepting of different people.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 22
To put your mind at risk if you think you're too common..

I come from Doncaster, at GCSE I got nothing above a C, and two D's. In my A-Levels I worked my ass off and I got into York with AACE doing Management. It's been the best year of my life, I thought I was common, but then even if I was common, I'm not anymore.

P.S If you do go to York, go to Willow.
Reply 23
Original post by QuirkyK
I've lived and been out in Manchester and London. Although York nightlife is a lot smaller scale I have had so many amazing nights out here. There are 3 union endorsed club nights a week (Tuesday = salvation, Thursday = Tokyo, Sunday = Revs), everyone who does a sport goes to Mansion on a Wednesday. Fibbers and Vudu don't do student nights but play good music if you fancy a slightly different night. There is also Willow. Willow is a tiny, disgusting, cheap little club that is open to students only up til about 4:30am every night which used to be a Chinese Restaurant by day, until it lost its food safety license. As awful a place as it may sound it is so much fun and will leave you with a lot of memorable nights and memory lapses :wink:

I go out 2 or 3 times a week on average and the thing about York nights I really love is that i'll always run into other people I know aside from the people I'm going out with.

'Chav'/banter wise? You'll be fine :smile: On the whole the people I've encountered here are really friendly and accepting of different people.

Thank you!! It did help :smile:

Original post by NikkPrice
To put your mind at risk if you think you're too common..

I come from Doncaster, at GCSE I got nothing above a C, and two D's. In my A-Levels I worked my ass off and I got into York with AACE doing Management. It's been the best year of my life, I thought I was common, but then even if I was common, I'm not anymore.

P.S If you do go to York, go to Willow.

Oohh nice! I'm sure I'll go to Willow from what I read above ahaha
Reply 24
Original post by fiona_x
that's what swayed me, there's no way I could do a food shop for less than £6 so it works out cheaper. I think places like Alcuin/James with their fancy ensuites go first, Derwent should be fairly easy, I hope :tongue:

I only got chance to see Goodricke when I visited York.. Did you see all of them? What did you think of all the rooms/ensuites? I might pop down when they have the open day even though it's booked up and see if I can nosey into all the accommodation aha
Original post by QuirkyK

All correct but please it's Ziggy's not Mansion and let it forever remain so.
Reply 26
Original post by joy_93
I only got chance to see Goodricke when I visited York.. Did you see all of them? What did you think of all the rooms/ensuites? I might pop down when they have the open day even though it's booked up and see if I can nosey into all the accommodation aha

I've seen them in 2008 when I went on a "school trip" (even though i was in year 11 so wasnt looking properly) but I'm going to the open day next wednesday to have a proper look cos apparently its all open. I'll let you know, not sure I'll bother looking at the ensuites though as I don't one :tongue:
Reply 27
Original post by fiona_x
I've seen them in 2008 when I went on a "school trip" (even though i was in year 11 so wasnt looking properly) but I'm going to the open day next wednesday to have a proper look cos apparently its all open. I'll let you know, not sure I'll bother looking at the ensuites though as I don't one :tongue:

Yeah I'm going down next Wednesday too! I'll fill you in on my opinion too :smile:
Reply 28
Does anybody know when freshers week will be? Not that i'm a fresher, but I imagine everyone goes out for it?
Original post by tsulee20
Does anybody know when freshers week will be? Not that i'm a fresher, but I imagine everyone goes out for it?

Usually starts the second Monday of October.
Reply 30
Original post by joy_93
Yeah I'm going down next Wednesday too! I'll fill you in on my opinion too :smile:

Did you go down in the end? What did you think? I'm almost 100% going for Derwent now if I can
Reply 31
Awesome, awesome pubs in York with a good real ale culture and an old england feel.

Haven't bothered with clubs, I don't like dance music.
Reply 32
Original post by joy_93
(I've firmed York for this years entry -2012)

Okay so I've heard conflicting views about the night life at York. I like a good night out I won't lie! I like good clubs (not the boring quiet pubs with old men singing and playing a 100 year old guitar) with a nice atomsphere. I'm aware that Leeds has good clubs down the road so I'm holding on to that if York doesn't go too well!

Also, I'm slightly worried that I might be abit too 'common' for everyone when I go York aha! I speak like a chav and my grades come from sheer hard work rather than natural intelligence. I hate to stereotype but I'm not sure if the type of people who attend York Uni would get on with me? I'm a joker and love dishing out banter...

Oh and what college would suit me best do you think? I don't want a quiet college aha! Is there any college with a reputation for being very social?

Any input about the university would be welcomed too :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin:

Go to Derwent, probably the best college spirit on campus, lots of socials and partying etc.

as for nightlife, I totally agree with whats already been said - it really is what you make of it. I've had some cracking nights out in York, going from bar to pub to club and vice versa, ending in Willow Chinese Disco (I kid you not..) or Vudu Lounge at 4am. Revs is pretty decent on a sunday too.

As for the intelligent/hard worker thing, dont worry about it. I havent met anyone that cares, and I do law, with snobs. Hell, Im a snob, and I dont care. If you put the time in, arent a douche etc, you'll be fine with 99% of people.

As for how you talk, Ive met a massive variety at York - again, I've not met anyone thats ever had an issue with someones accent or how they speak, or banter for that matter. The only friends we make fun of are our canadian ones, mostly for being scared of the dark, but also because they actually do say oot.

Hit me up if you've got anymore questions brahh, if not, have a sick freshers week.

PS- does anyone actually say sick anymore?
Ive just been accepted to study management at York, and have chosen Goodricke college for accomodation, only by the fact that its the most beautiful and the newest place, tbh the other colleges are not great in terms of accommodation, but uni life is what you make of it no matter what uni you go to or what college your'e in, youre guaranteed to have many hundreds of cracking nights out, see you on the 8th October everyone!!
Original post by fiona_x
I honestly could've written that post! I'm sure we'll both be fine, Derwent seems like the most sociable college from what I've heard.

I'm the same as you both too! I'm really glad I'm not the only one worrying about being to 'common' haha I've heard great things about James and Derwent for being sociable :smile:
Original post by connorjs123
Ive just been accepted to study management at York, and have chosen Goodricke college for accomodation, only by the fact that its the most beautiful and the newest place, tbh the other colleges are not great in terms of accommodation, but uni life is what you make of it no matter what uni you go to or what college your'e in, youre guaranteed to have many hundreds of cracking nights out, see you on the 8th October everyone!!

8th!? I thought we started on the 1st?
Reply 36
Original post by MalibuSwitch

I think there are different dates for different types of students.
Like:
- Postgrad International starts on the 1st Oct
- Undergrad International starts on the 4th Oct
- Undergrad Home/EU starts on 8th Oct
- Idk know about Postgrad Home/EU though
Original post by MalibuSwitch

8th of october, for uk undergraduates, i get to move into my room on the 7th though, read, the post below this explains all :biggrin:!!!
Original post by MPN
I think there are different dates for different types of students.
Like:
- Postgrad International starts on the 1st Oct
- Undergrad International starts on the 4th Oct
- Undergrad Home/EU starts on 8th Oct
- Idk know about Postgrad Home/EU though

Oh right! Thanks, that's even further away... I want to go now! :colondollar:
Original post by connorjs123
8th of october, for uk undergraduates, i get to move into my room on the 7th though, read, the post below this explains all :biggrin:!!!

Okay Thanks very much! I take it you have a unconditional offer now then?

Quick Reply

Latest