The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Did anyone realise the place Alonso missed is the same place he missed in the 05 CL final but got the rebound?
Reply 2061
Original post by checkolad
Did anyone realise the place Alonso missed is the same place he missed in the 05 CL final but got the rebound?

No it wasn't!
Reply 2062

He went left in 05. Right tonight.
Original post by JoeK
He went left in 05. Right tonight.

Damn, I swear in normal time he went right?
Reply 2064
Damn, I swear in normal time he went right?

Nah, the one where he buried the rebound he definitely went left. Not sure about the shoot-out, though.
Original post by Kevmeister
Taken from here. Does Kelly have enough game-time to have 'trademark dangerous crosses'?

Agree with what others say about Kelly's crossing. Imo Johnson couldn't play the inside forward role of cutting in on a front three. He'd work in a 4-4-2 when combining with a fullback but I think it's a stretch too far to play that extra 10-15 yards forwards and make things happen.
Reply 2066
Original post by JoeK
Nah, the one where he buried the rebound he definitely went left. Not sure about the shoot-out, though.

In the shoot out he never took one.
Reply 2067
Original post by pbsjohnz
In the shoot out he never took one.

I almost questioned whether he did. My mind went blank :colondollar:
Original post by Zerforax
Agree with what others say about Kelly's crossing. Imo Johnson couldn't play the inside forward role of cutting in on a front three. He'd work in a 4-4-2 when combining with a fullback but I think it's a stretch too far to play that extra 10-15 yards forwards and make things happen.

The whole article is full of crap. It's promoting flanks of Enrique/Adam and Kelly/Johnson. We'd get absolutely torn apart on the left flank and wouldn't get anywhere on the right flank, Johnson is best when supporting his man and making lightning runs from the deep, not when already in an advanced position.

Dani Alves has the same situation at Barca; the further forward they play him, the less effective he is, because he doesn't have that space to bomb into, he's not available for the crossfield, because he's at his best when already flying at high speed rather than having to race from scratch with the fullback to the ball. Zonalmarking mentioned this a few months back, before anyone accuses me of parroting them haha.
Reply 2069
Was gutted when Alonso missed tonight. :sad:

Arbeloa and Alonso are both still class acts, would take them both back in a heart beat. I reckon Alonso will come back to us one day in the distant future. He is always banging on about how much he loved Liverpool.
Just re-watched it was definitely left, I always forget certain details in matches
We should aim to bring Alonso back in a coaching role when he does hang up his boots. I think he'd make a better coach/manager than Carragher tbh.

Alonso's 30 now and has 2 years left with Real Madrid. Maybe they'd be willing to let him leave if they buy Modric? Probably not though, he plays in the vast majority of Real Madrid's games - over 50 in the last 2 seasons and 34+ league games in all 3 seasons in Spain (36 last season of 38..).

I'd imagine he would be in high demand, cost a fair bit and still want decent wages - which I'm not sure FSG would give.

Tbh I don't think he's going to lose much from his game in the next 5 years.

Anyway, we need to stop living in the past and aim to move forward. Would love to be a fly on the wall to find out what's going on behind the scenes.
(edited 11 years ago)
We should aim to bring Alonso back in a coaching role when he does hang up his boots. I think he'd make a better coach/manager than Carragher tbh.

Alonso's 30 now and has 2 years left with Real Madrid. Maybe they'd be willing to let him leave if they buy Modric? Probably not though, he plays in the vast majority of Real Madrid's games - over 50 in the last 2 seasons and 34+ league games in all 3 seasons in Spain (36 last season of 38..).

I'd imagine he would be in high demand, cost a fair bit and still want decent wages - which I'm not sure FSG would give.

Anyway, we need to stop living in the past and aim to move forward. Would love to be a fly on the wall to find out what's going on behind the scenes.

Yeh, the way he talks about the game you can tell he knows his stuff. Carragher is obviously a product of the English system. Would love to get people like Riise, Kuyt and Reina involves when they retire.

Aside from Ronaldo, he's probably the single most important player in the Madrid team. Mourinho will know that, there's not a chance in hell that he'll leave this summer.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2012/06/28/liverpool-fc-to-welcome-back-former-defender-sami-hyypia-55578-31277916/

Saw the headline, got really excited hoping he had taken a role with the club, followed by disappointment that he had not, followed by happiness that he will get a heroes welcome. Still hope to see him back with us one day.

It is a disgrace that he didn't get a testimonial in my book.
Reply 2076
Original post by The Baron
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2012/06/28/liverpool-fc-to-welcome-back-former-defender-sami-hyypia-55578-31277916/

Saw the headline, got really excited hoping he had taken a role with the club, followed by disappointment that he had not, followed by happiness that he will get a heroes welcome. Still hope to see him back with us one day.

It is a disgrace that he didn't get a testimonial in my book.

Possibly my favourite Liverpool player during my time supporting the club. Such a legend.
Reply 2077
Met Sami at the SOS end of season do just before he left for Leverkusen.

Legend.
Reply 2078

Would likely be a great addition, although no doubt quite a wee while down the line.

After listening to Carragher as a pundit for ITV, you'd be best keeping him away from any coaching!
Reply 2079
Original post by R-KAM
Would likely be a great addition, although no doubt quite a wee while down the line.

After listening to Carragher as a pundit for ITV, you'd be best keeping him away from any coaching!

The panic in his voice when the discussion if a false 9 was hilarious!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest