The Student Room Group

Graduated with a shoddy job...jeakous

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ajp100688
I've graduated and I don't have a job yet, I live in a tourist town where there is nothing for graduates anyways. To get back to London and have the possibility of finding a decent graduate level job, I'm going to have to work **** jobs down here for the next 3/4 months to save up enough cash to do so, which is going to be boring as **** and there's no guarantee I'll find anything great in London either.

So man up already, you have it good.

Not true - what makes you think that? Apply online, then ask to be compensated for travel costs when it comes to interviews. Are you thinking you'll need to move to London before finding a job there?

OP is ridic. £28k outside London is an amazing starting salary.
Reply 21
Original post by Jelkin
Not true - what makes you think that? Apply online, then ask to be compensated for travel costs when it comes to interviews. Are you thinking you'll need to move to London before finding a job there?

OP is ridic. £28k outside London is an amazing starting salary.

No I'm thinking it'd be silly to successfully get a job in London, only to be unable to afford to move up there/not have a place to live there. Plus I live five hours away, it'd be pretty hard to regularly interview for jobs when I'm having to do ten hour round journeys.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Who needs a job anyway?
Reply 23
Yeah I'm aware of that, that's why I won't move up there until I have a decent financial padding. I've lived in London for the last 3 years so I know the city well enough and it can't be any worse than where I currently live. At least there are opportunities there, theres absolutely none down here.

You seem to be doing alright if you have an iPhone/iPad though :wink:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi All,

I'm feeling depressed with regards to post-graduation. I achieved 4As at A-level in Econ, Maths, F.Maths and History. Then I went on to read Economics at University of Manchester and had completed internships and had prior experience.

However I have not managed to find myself a graduate job, I seemed to always mess up in the assessment centre or final interview. I have found a job in Manchester for a private bank as a trainee on about £28k. Though I have friends who have gained jobsi in investment banks and firms in London on £38-45k + bonus.

It just makes me feel really depressed and jealous!!

Advice? :frown:

Firstly, remember that while you may be paid more in London, living costs are much higher - I am paying £260/month including bills for a house share next year; I have a friend in London who is paying £520/month not including bills also for a house share. So while you may be paid less, you will spend less on living costs as well, and so will have a similar disposable income. Get a year or two of experience, and then you can work your way up, and get a London job easier than as a 'raw' graduate as such if that is where you want to work.
Reply 25
People, they posted anonymous. Just trolling (and acting like 95% of the IB thread respondents do when NOT trolling.)
Reply 26
As others have said, £28k in manchester is about the same as £40k in London after you adjust for living costs. If your rent is £500/month more expensive in London for a similar quality flat (which is about right if youre living in a studio/1-bed) then you would need an extra £10k/year gross just for your accomodation costs, and thats before you start adding in increased travel costs and so on.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Looks like the OP has haters.
You're a complete tool.

I'm one of the luckier ones who managed to find an ok job (although not in my chosen field) but there are graduates with great classifications, work experience and enthusiasm for their field and yet they have to work in Tesco, or call centres on crap pay.

I wouldn't hire you on a rate of 28 pence a year let alone 28K with your attitude. :colone:

I must stop feeding trolls.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by IRL
Who needs a job anyway?

We meet again :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending