The Student Room Group

Unusual situation. Need help with student finance please.

I'm planning to keep this as short as I can, so here is

My circumstances are in order to apply for student finance, I need to prove that I am an independent student/dependent student. However my parents have been retired for almost 3 years and live overseas now. They haven't been working since they have retired so there is no tax what so ever. Since then I've been living with my sister as my guardian. She is also currently a full time student as well.

So my question is, how can I get student finance/loan/grant if my parents do not live with me anymore but I cannot prove their income. I also can't prove that i'm estranged, teacher and tutor won't write me a letter. I am not married/have children/parents are not dead etc.

Kind regards.
Rare situation so maybe try to get into a direct conversation (ie a phone call) with someone about it?
Who pays for your upkeep?
If your parents send you money, then you are dependent, if that is the case then you tell SF they are retired, and they don't have to provide documentation of income (I know this because my mum is also retired)
If you have a job or whatever then you're independent and I personally know nothing about how that works with SF
If your sister pays for your food etc then you are dependent on her i assume? and will have to give her details and stuff.
How old are you? I don't think you're independent here. They will still think your parents are responsible for you. They must have an income - their pension? This is what will be assessed - tax doesn't come in to it. They must have some proof of their pension. Are you still in contact with them? Call up student finance and ask.
Original post by Himecakie
I'm planning to keep this as short as I can, so here is

My circumstances are in order to apply for student finance, I need to prove that I am an independent student/dependent student. However my parents have been retired for almost 3 years and live overseas now. They haven't been working since they have retired so there is no tax what so ever. Since then I've been living with my sister as my guardian. She is also currently a full time student as well.

So my question is, how can I get student finance/loan/grant if my parents do not live with me anymore but I cannot prove their income. I also can't prove that i'm estranged, teacher and tutor won't write me a letter. I am not married/have children/parents are not dead etc.

Kind regards.

If you're under 25 then you'd still be classed as dependant on your parents if you can't prove estrangement, regardless of the fact that they live abroad. I assume you are still in contact with them so in that case you would need to provide proof of their income received in the 2009/10 tax year in order to receive the means tested loan and maintenance grant. They must be living on something - savings, pension, retirement lump sums? They can send proof of this - if they have foreign income where they are living they can send these documents as well.

Your sister's income couldn't be used unless she is literally your legal guardian and has a guardianship order - which SFE would need to see as proof. Hope that helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
hi im in a similer siuation aswell juist wondering how did you sort yours out? and with mine my parents care provide proff cuz no of them had work the entire life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending