Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student bank account help?!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I start University this year and I currently have an account with Lloyds TSB. I'm going to create a student account tomorrow but I can't decide between Lloyds or NatWest? I've heard they're both great! Who do you recommend? ALSO, when I create this new account, do I need to change the bank details on my student finance? or just transfer the money? I'm so confused!!
    Oh and, if I go with Natwest, can I still keep my Lloyds account?

Thanks!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Natwest is popular because of the young person's railcard they offer which is useful for people at uni.

You can keep the Lloyd's account but you're sometimes required to make payments (for example put money in every six months).

You then have the choice to change your student finance details to your new account or simply move the funds from your Lloyds account to your new one every time they're sent through.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbbyAbby94)
    So I start University this year and I currently have an account with Lloyds TSB. I'm going to create a student account tomorrow but I can't decide between Lloyds or NatWest? I've heard they're both great! Who do you recommend? ALSO, when I create this new account, do I need to change the bank details on my student finance? or just transfer the money? I'm so confused!!
    Oh and, if I go with Natwest, can I still keep my Lloyds account?

Thanks!!
    Yes you can have two accounts at two separate banks as long as you only have one student account.

It's probably easier to change the details on your student finance rather than transferring the money, as it doesn't all come at once.

With regard to which account, it's up to you. Lloyds has a larger overdraft, a free YHA membership, and as you're already with them it'll be easier to set up. Also it's too late to apply for the Natwest free travel card, so if I were you, I'd stick with Lloyds.

Hope I've helped!

Edit: Lol clearly negged by Natwest :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yakuzakitty)
    Yes you can have two accounts at two separate banks as long as you only have one student account.

It's probably easier to change the details on your student finance rather than transferring the money, as it doesn't all come at once.

With regard to which account, it's up to you. Lloyds has a larger overdraft, a free YHA membership, and as you're already with them it'll be easier to set up. Also it's too late to apply for the Natwest free travel card, so if I were you, I'd stick with Lloyds.

Hope I've helped!
    Thanks! You've helped a lot, and I don't really need the rail card as I live in Sheffield anyway!! I'll stick with Lloyds!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 28, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.