The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I find lifting heavy ass weight fun.

Haters gonna hate.
Original post by Average_Aaron
Maybe you should have just taken boxing lessons

You could have beaten them up alot better

lol @ people thinking lifting weights makes u tougher

It made me look more intimidating and I was a black belt in karate. Soooo whatever dude. Then they resorted to mental bullying which was even worse :/
Original post by ShredMaster
It made me look more intimidating and I was a black belt in karate. Soooo whatever dude. Then they resorted to mental bullying which was even worse :/

So do you regret lifting heavy?
Original post by The Troll Toll
So do you regret lifting heavy?

No I dont. I make friends more easily now. Nobody looks at me and says "look its the puny kid lets pick on him wooooo". I'm pretty short, so that's what they all assumed back when I was skinny (and before that fat).
Original post by de_monies

I apologise to any one here that goes on the BB forums, but that's the feel I get from there

Nah it's true (imo) a lot of the site is quite helpful (well the losing fat and nutrition section). I've got most of my information from there. You just need to stay away from the teen section - that place is ridiculous.
Reply 45
Original post by IRL
It is overrated as you correctly stated. A lot of people who lift heavy and are trying to get big are often the ones who failed at sports when they were younger or got bullied/teased and feel the need to look intimidating to others. After they get bigger and stronger they still suck at the sports.

Gaining weight can be a burden if you're into a competitive sport which requires some kind of endurance.

For the majority of people who just want a reasonable physique when they take their t-shirt off at the beach, all this heavy lifting (deadlifts, squats etc...) stuff is simply unnecessary.

Heck, I have a reasonable body already, I need to fix up on cardio though, in terms of strength i'm good to go now, but now I'm trying to go to fitness and get the 6 pack going fully.

I'm ok though, legs were always good from cycling 30+ miles every week and genuinely having good legs(upper body looked crap compared to it) I can do shoulder exercises with 22kg and curls with 14 now so I'm not overly big but I'm what you'd say people who started gym would like to be at least.

I'm not crap at sports, I'm better than most of my friends at football(mainly because I play with people better than me usually)
Original post by commandant
and doing the 8-14 whilst lifting progresivley heavier is the way to go about it

doing 8-14 with the same weigth week in week out is absolutely useless

Yup, anyone who does this is wasting their time. there is no basis of strength, the only thing I could say is that their plan might be to increase the reps, so doing the 8-14 might be the 10-16 and more sets, but then that doesn't improve core strength as much as training with an extra 4-5 kilo would do although I think it helps with endurance obviously.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by almasy
You don't get fast lifting weights...

False.
You're misinterpreting your experience. You were trying to do something inappropriate for your aims based on poor advice, and now you're doing something more suited to what you want. From that you can't infer that lifting heavy is overrated. You can only infer that lifting heavy isn't suitable for people that want to achieve the things you want. Try to understand the context of your experiences and how your desires relate to what you were doing, rather than making general claims about the things you were doing independently of your desires.
Reply 48
Original post by IRL
Lifting weights does not improve fighting capability nor does it make you punch harder.

If you ever actually talked to any boxers, some do lift weights. I was talking to a guy in the gym a few weeks ago who boxes and was on SS. He said he punched harder but slower as a result, but when he took a bit of time off before a match, he was stronger and faster.

I'm sure you can find similar reports on the internet.

Are you a boxer? Have you talked to many boxers?
Reply 49
Original post by cowsforsale
lol...

Another one..

I agree though, you make more muscle mass by lifting weights, but tbh, I think I've already got the body already and I can maintain it by just cardio and pullups. Although I need to improve my chest(can barely do 50kg)

What annoys me though is when people lift weights to the point that their arms are just a big bulge and you can't even see the muscle, it's just so big that you just see a giant arm rather than contours of muscle and high definition.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by Average_Aaron
I would rather progress from say 10 pullups to 25 over 400lb deadlift to 415

Thats progression

I'd rather progress from a 70kg power clean to a 160kg power clean than go from 40 pushups to 60 pushups. This comparison is just as fatuous as yours.
Reply 51
Problem is most people who support the "calisthenics" movement are the people who endorse the x thousand reps of pushups/situps/bwsquats etc which is just as "useless" as what they believe "lifting heavy" to be. More often than not your physique will still look awful.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Shawshank
Problem is most people who support the "calisthenics" movement are the people who endorse the x thousand reps of pushups/situps/bwsquats etc which is just as "useless" as what they believe "lifting heavy" to be. More often than not your physique will still look awful.

PS so many thickos ITT, better leave before my head explodes.

Yeah, plus it takes more time to do loads of pushups and much more effort/reps to get progress.
Reply 53
Original post by Ocassus
Hello. I am an athlete. I compete at national level. I go to the gym for 6 hours every week and lift HEAVY. I am a Sprinter. Your argument fails.

...What now?

Christophe Lemaitre can sprint faster than you ever will and does not lift weights. It isn't the panacea you believe it to be.
Reply 54
Original post by tooosh
If you ever actually talked to any boxers, some do lift weights. I was talking to a guy in the gym a few weeks ago who boxes and was on SS. He said he punched harder but slower as a result, but when he took a bit of time off before a match, he was stronger and faster.

I'm sure you can find similar reports on the internet.

Are you a boxer? Have you talked to many boxers?

Yes some boxers lift weight as part of their supplementary strength and conditioning programs.

Punching power is more complex than simply lifting more in the gym and as a result punching harder.

There are plenty of people that go to gyms and can out-lift professional boxers, yet will never punch as hard.
Reply 55
Original post by IRL
Christophe Lemaitre can sprint faster than you ever will and does not lift weights. It isn't the panacea you believe it to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjL1xMyt6NI

He does.
Reply 56

For the cameras only. Notice how light the plates are he uses. I am far stronger than Mr. Lemaitre yet I will never sprint as fast.

Another example is Harry Aikines Aryteey (sp?) the sprinter, who can power clean 400lbs yet is nowhere near top level sprinters times.

My point still stands that explosiveness can't be built to any great extent from weight training alone. There's just more too it.

People need to accept what they are and all of this "training" won't make a bit of difference apart from to their bodyspace profile "stats" or TSR fitness guru recognition.
Reply 57
Original post by Ocassus
*I sprint swim, HERP.

The swimmers who swim faster than me? Guess wut, they also lift weights. :rofl2:

Good for them. They would be better swimmers than you regardless if they lifted weights or not. Athletes in any sport simply gravitate towards the sports they are naturally gifted at. That's why at the Olympics you'll see the starting lineup of the 100m freestyle, where you have 8 guys that practically look the same.
Reply 58
Original post by IRL
For the cameras only. Notice how light the plates are he uses. I am far stronger than Mr. Lemaitre yet I will never sprint as fast.

Another example is Harry Aikines Aryteey (sp?) the sprinter, who can power clean 400lbs yet is nowhere near top level sprinters times.

My point still stands that explosiveness can't be built to any great extent from weight training alone. There's just more too it.

People need to accept what they are and all of this "training" won't make a bit of difference apart from to their bodyspace profile "stats" or TSR fitness guru recognition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/8415533/London-2012-Olympics-Christophe-Lemaitre-defying-logic-that-says-white-men-cant-sprint.html

"His slender frame also lacks the musculature of many of his opponents. He started lifting weights only a year ago, although, at 6ft 2in, he does have the height to match Bolt's famously large stride. With a bit more strength and explosiveness to complement his natural speed, his times could come down rapidly this season."

What about that?
Reply 59
Original post by IRL
Good for them. They would be better swimmers than you regardless if they lifted weights or not. Athletes in any sport simply gravitate towards the sports they are naturally gifted at. That's why at the Olympics you'll see the starting lineup of the 100m freestyle, where you have 8 guys that practically look the same.

Yeah, tall and pretty hench, because they lift weights.

In fact since the emergence of Manussen and Roberts, who both played Rugby til quite late and thus built up more explosive strength and power there's a theory swimmers should do even more weights. Dunno how proven this is but certainly seems plausible.

Or Furosemide like Cielo.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest