Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can any women here do pull ups?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never met a woman who can do consecutive pull ups with good form.

If a woman can do 5+ pullups, she is stronger and 90% of women
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't count if the chin doesn't go above bar or elbows aren't locked at bottom (i.e. deadhang).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can only do 1 proper pull up hopefully that will improve when I start to eat more and build muscle.

I can do about 10 dips in a row though
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Average_Aaron)
    I've never met a woman who can do consecutive pull ups with good form.

If a woman can do 5+ pullups, she is stronger and 90% of women
    I have, but she's a gymnast.

I don't know where you got your stat from, but I doubt it's far off.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aivi can do about 2-3 consecutive chins/pullups. The guy who owns my gym hadn't seen a woman do a pullup irl for a long time and he's had some seriously freaky lifters around such as Gary Taylor.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Females usually have pretty damn weak upper bodies compared to males...their lower bodies can actually be pretty damn strong and with the same effort they could be closer for lower body than people think. They generally don't put the effort in and very few actually lift weights so tiny talent pool also.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't... I can only pull myself about a fraction of an inch and then my arms just give up
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i can do about 5, probably because I do rock climbing
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Only girl I've seen do pullups was one I climbed with regularly. She could do 5 with good form though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't even get off of the ground!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I could last time I tried but haven't for a while so I don't know if I could now! Trying for some serious training this summer though so hopefully I can improve with that!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can do about 5 but probably not more than that. On the whole though the only place I try is my boyfriends as his housemate has a pull up bar.

I didn't used to be able to do any, I assume that it's all the pole dancing that's done it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRL)
    I doubt many can here. Remember that most women here are nothing more than sedentary slobs who do one half-assed workout a month and then wonder why they start to look chubby, and after "dieting" wonder why they are not losing weight.
    He's right though.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can do a few, but I was a gymnast for eight years and am a dancer now. Funnily enough it is the dancing that has made my arms stronger, upper body strength is definitely my weakness. ;D
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't, because I have really weak shoulders from dislocating them when I was one. I can't even do the monkey bars or stuff like that because of it, my shoulders will just dislocate

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopingtobeadentist)
    Sexist.
    How is that sexist?

a) he has never met any women that can do a pullup. That doesn't make him a sexist, it just means he hasn't met many women that train, or those that he has met can't do them. There was nothing sexist about this first statement.

b) That wasn't him being sexist, it was a genuine statistic. It is scientific fact that women are the physically weaker gender, especially so in upper body strength. 90% of women cannot do more than 5 pullups statistically speaking. It's science, it's not sexist.

Calm down, you seem to be letting your emotions get the better of you.

For someone who's hoping to go into an academic field such as dentistry, you are very closed minded.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRL)
    I doubt many can here. Remember that most women here are nothing more than sedentary slobs who do one half-assed workout a month and then wonder why they start to look chubby, and after "dieting" wonder why they are not losing weight.
    Unfortunately this. I've never seen a woman do a pull up in the gym, ever, but I've seen loads of guys do them.

(Original post by hopingtobeadentist)
    Sexist.
    Your jimmies appear to be rustled.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Girls, pull ups, dead hang, proper form?

:rofl::lol:

EDIT: sandwich
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah :smug:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.