The Student Room Group

Blind spots and motorways

I've noticed a number of posts recently saying you must check your blind spot every time you change lane on motorways and rather than derail those threads thought I'd post a new one.
When people say check your blind spot, what exactly is meant? A proper look behind or just a quick glance to the side?
My personal thoughts: if you're using mirrors correctly on the motorway you should have a very good knowledge of what vehicles are around you, so if you've seen a vehicle approaching from behind, it hasn't passed you and you can't see it then you should already know it's in your blind spot. Additionally, a vehicle is big enough that if you can't see it in your mirrors it's probably up to your shoulder anyway, so a very quick glance 90 degrees left or right will show it. I get very twitchy about turning to look back and doing a full blind spot check - apart from anything else you inevitably won't keep going in a straight line when you twist your body. I'd be interested to know what other people do/think.
(Obviously, if in any doubt, check!)
Reply 1
Quick glance only - its just to check that nothing is in that area especially checking those in lane 3 if you are going from lane 1 to lane 2

Same the other way - those in lane 1 if you are going from 3 to 2

Entering from sliproad - check those in lane 2
Reply 2
I tend to cruise with the window down. I hear the biker long before I see him! :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by JC.
I tend to cruise with the window down. I hear the biker long before I see him! :wink:

More fuel used due to wind resistance if window down more than a little bit
Yes a good driver will have awareness of vehicles around you. Before I even check my blind spot I am 99%certain of what to expect but still check it. You should always check it, particularly on a motorway. Pulling out at over 70mph into the path of another car wouldn't be too great.

And yeah, like you I have a quick glance over my shoulder.
Still check it just incase.
Original post by ROG.
Quick glance only - its just to check that nothing is in that area especially checking those in lane 3 if you are going from lane 1 to lane 2

Same the other way - those in lane 1 if you are going from 3 to 2

Entering from sliproad - check those in lane 2

This, basically! Obviously if you're checking your mirrors regularly you should have a good idea of what's where, but it never hurts to double check, especially if you're tired or the traffic's busy.
Reply 7
Original post by ROG.

So?
Reply 8
Original post by FXX
So?

just an observation - nothing else
I'll find it when I can be bothered, but I read something from some research dept at BMW which says that if you set your mirrors up correctly, there should be no blind spots to turn to look at.

In the absence of this, when moving off and joining on a slip road will always result in me turning to check the blind spot and the rest if I'm not sure if there's something there. Going on a motorways and repeatedly looking away from the front and thus towards the most likely source of hazards seems foolish.
Reply 10
Looking away from the front every few seconds to check the mirrors is the way it should be, and can easily be, done in cars and in lorries etc

A good driver is one who knows what is going on around them at all times
Original post by ROG.
Looking away from the front every few seconds to check the mirrors is the way it should be, and can easily be, done in cars and in lorries etc

A good driver is one who knows what is going on around them at all times

Sorry, yes I meant for blindspots - mirrors, absolutely no excuse!
Reply 12
I always take a quick glance before moving into the lane I'm going into, just to be sure. I always keep an eye on my mirrors anyway as I like to know what's going on behind me, but there have been too many times in the three years that I've been driving I've had a car surprise me by coming out of my blind spot when I had absolutely no idea it was there. If I'd just checked my mirror and then changed lanes then I'd have hit them. I'm not going to pretend that my observation is so incredible that I start taking silly risks out of arrogance.
Reply 13
Just to clarify, I tend to think of a blind spot check as turning to look over your shoulder, whereas on the motorway I tend just to sit straight and look left or right (but not back). I'm not concerned about my driving, but I'm not sure it's good for new drivers to be told to check their blind spot on the motorway without clarifying what's meant - twisting to check a blind spot as you do when moving off isn't smart on the motorway.
Reply 14
Original post by CurlyBen
Just to clarify, I tend to think of a blind spot check as turning to look over your shoulder, whereas on the motorway I tend just to sit straight and look left or right (but not back). I'm not concerned about my driving, but I'm not sure it's good for new drivers to be told to check their blind spot on the motorway without clarifying what's meant - twisting to check a blind spot as you do when moving off isn't smart on the motorway.

So true - usually a sideways look is enough but may need a more acute angle over the shoulder check for those more than one lane away to check for possible conflict of space ..... lane 1 to 2 and others lane 3 to 2 for example
Reply 15
Original post by ROG.

And?

I drive a V8. How high do you think fuel economy is likely to be on my list of prioritys?
Reply 16
Original post by JC.
And?

I drive a V8. How high do you think fuel economy is likely to be on my list of prioritys?

My comment was a general one not a specific to you one
Reply 17
Just a glance sideways/back for me, I generally take a look at the lane in my mirror before moving out to get an idea of how the traffic's moving and what might appear up the side of me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending