The Student Room Group

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths?

In sixth form, I want to do:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Further Maths
EPQ

Would this be too much work if I carried all of them on to A2?
At GCSE I'm predicted 7A*s, 4As, but I think it's more likely to be 1A*, 6As, 4Bs. However I'm very hard working and motivated to do well. (Also, I'll have 10 free lessons a week!)
Any advice would be appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by lizz-ie
In sixth form, I want to do:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Further Maths
EPQ

Would this be too much work if I carried all of them on to A2?
At GCSE I'm predicted 7A*s, 4As, but I think it's more likely to be 1A*, 6As, 4Bs. However I'm very hard working and motivated to do well. (Also, I'll have 10 free lessons a week!)
Any advice would be appreciated :biggrin:

It's hard to say, as everyone finds the course load different. I took Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology at AS, and dropped Maths as I found it too hard as a subject, and found it too hard to balance the work load with Biology and Chemistry (which were my most important subjects). You may feel that after the first year you want to drop one, or you may find that you really want to do all 4 and think you can manage them. However, I only know a few people doing 4 A Levels, and have all found it very challenging. There isn't that many benefits of taking 4 at A2 in terms of university applications; most universities ask for 3 A Levels and an AS.
Hope that is helpful :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
I have a friend doing maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and an EPQ at A2 but he's doing most of the EPQ over summer. It honestly depends on how easy you find maths/further maths, because if you only spend as much time on them as you would on a single maths A2 and manage decent grades, you'd probably be fine.

At the end of the day you can always start with those and drop one if it's too much work.
Reply 3
That's what I do for A level!!! :biggrin:
Well I obviously think it's a great combination! What are you thinking of doing at uni?
Also it depends on how your school does maths and further maths. Some schools do maths in one year then further maths the next year whereas we do both over two years. And since we had done a lot more maths modules at the end of AS I finished maths in January so I only really had three subjects to do this June which was a real help! One girl in my further class dropped further at AS so she only had two subjects to revise for in June!

Quick Reply

Latest