The Student Room Group

Which Uni is best for NURSING?

Hey people!

I'm considering becoming a children's nurse. Because I can't physically visit every single university that does child nursing, so I've decided to ask you guys :smile:

*Which uni is best for child nursing?
*Are the placements easy to commute to?
*I'm generally terrified in leaving my city to study at another city and do placements there, how do you guys cope?
*Are the lectures approachable and give you regular feedback?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Salford is good, a couple of my friends applied there. But I cannot answer any other of your questions, sorry.
Although I'm not currently in uni I'm also considering nursing :smile:
Southampton is one of the best I believe, UEA (University of East Aglia) is also fantastic, a friend of mine went there for midwifery and loves it.

As for your fears, those are perfectly normal for pretty much every student :smile: I've been told that they're mostly not more than a bus journey away from where you're staying, but it varies from placement to placement as it changes throughout the year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I just got an offer from city university london ...i can't really say its the best because i havent started attending yet but i really liked it there. I think it was voted as number one for nursing in London in 2011. I previously had an interview with birmingham and nottingham university. Birmingham was really decent but i didnt like nottingham ( most people think am crazy for saying that so ) but so far city uni is my favourite. I like the fact that it's in central london. I just love big places. And ohh keele university, Leeds Uni, Manchester uni and King's college london and Nottingham uni were my original choices on ucas for nursing.
Reply 5
Thanks for your reply guys!

I'm terrified in leaving my city because I've got so used to it over the years. I'm thinking of applying to local uni s such as uni of b'ham, BCU, Wolverhampton (Walsall campus), Coventry and maybe West London (based on it's name :tongue:) or London city.

It's pretty hard attending all the open days as some of them won't be until late sept or oct :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by Boqore
Thanks for your reply guys!

I'm terrified in leaving my city because I've got so used to it over the years. I'm thinking of applying to local uni s such as uni of b'ham, BCU, Wolverhampton (Walsall campus), Coventry and maybe West London (based on it's name :tongue:) or London city.

It's pretty hard attending all the open days as some of them won't be until late sept or oct :s-smilie:

Around this time last year, i was thinking the same. I didnt want to leave home for university but somehow i got rejected by most of local unis ( i live in birmingham too :smile: ) but after i went to london, i totally loved it plus its quite easy to commute and transportation was easier than i thought and apparently you get mentors who would help you with queries when you begin your nursing course. So don't be afraid, remember lots of people your age have done it before so you definitely can too. And ohh i didnt attend open days until i got an interview or offer. So you don't randomly have to attend all the open days before applying. You usually get a tour during your interview.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by love mimi x
Around this time last year, i was thinking the same. I didnt want to leave home for university but somehow i got rejected by most of local unis ( i live in birmingham too :smile: ) but after i went to london, i totally loved it plus its quite easy to commute and transportation was easier than i thought and apparently you get mentors who would help you with queries when you begin your nursing course. So don't be afraid, remember lots of people your age have done it before so you definitely can too. And ohh i didnt attend open days until i got an interview or offer. So you don't randomly have to attend all the open days before applying. You usually get a tour during your interview.

Wohoo bham chick :awesome:
I think I need to consider going further a field to get out of my comfort zone. I'm slightly worried that accommodation in London will be more expensive than any other city in England.
My college are telling me to start my p.statement soonish- but it's difficult for me start.
Q: is it preferable to have biology @ alevel?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Original post by Boqore
I think I need to consider going further a field to get out of my comfort zone. I'm slightly worried that accommodation in London will be more expensive than any other city in England.
My college are telling me to start my p.statement soonish- but it's difficult for me start.

London accommodation is more expensive than pretty much all the the other universities, but I think if you're doing nursing or midwifery (or other NHS degrees) you get a slight reduction on how much you have to pay, but don't quote me on that.
Reply 9
Original post by Boqore

London accomodation is expensive. Like ridiculously expensive but the good news is you get alot more on your nhs bursary in comparison to other people who live outside london ( i think about £800 -900 more depending on your household income ) as they take this into consideration. So that shouldn't be a problem :wink:. Yes it is preferable to get biology a-level, infact some universities ask for it so i guess it depends on which uni you will be applying to. So go on their website and look at the nursing requirements , that'll give you an idea if you really need it or not. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Thanks, do you mind me asking which branch have you choose?
Adult Nursing :smile:
Reply 12
Hey, i wanted to know whether the fourse content for nursing is standard for all unis? And what are the modules?
Am not sure but i'd imagine that all degree programs in the UK would follow very similar guidelines .. there wouldn't be a big difference in the training for each and every nurse as same principles of care apply ... :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Boqore
Hey, i wanted to know whether the fourse content for nursing is standard for all unis? And what are the modules?

All courses follow similar programmes as they have to be approved by the NMC. The content will depend upon the branch you study.
Reply 15
Thanks, i meant *course* haha

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App
Reply 16
I'm at Southampton university studying nursing. It is an amazing university. The placements that you are placed at are with public transport distance from where you are living. If it too far to travel to they might offer accommodation temporarily while I placement. Placements can be anywhere in Hampshire generally in Southampton, Portsmouth , basingstoke, Winchester, isle of wight. The lecturers are very approachable if you are stuck o something they are always there to help

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 17
Is York university good for nursing? It came 2nd in the league table for nursing.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App
nottingham uni is 4th best in country for nursing last time i checked :wink:
Reply 19
Southampton is currently 3rd

Quick Reply