The Student Room Group

No makeup is arrogant?

Scroll to see replies

Urgh. Make-up is arguably the worst invention ever. So deceptive.
Reply 41
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C

Urgh. Make-up is arguably the worst invention ever. So deceptive.

who is that?
Original post by 079
who is that?

Liz Jones, the writer of the article.

Here she is with make-up:

Imagine going home with her and waking up next to the original picture. Sickening.
Reply 43
Original post by littlebluedinosaur
I think that just like girls wear fashionable clothes to enhance their features, they wear makeup to enhance their facial features and I think it is a good thing. It is another way of showing that a girl cares about how she looks. To me I associate a girl that doesnt wear makeup as being someone that doesn't care about themselves and it usually goes with the hoody trainers type of girl. From my experience boys don't usually go for that.

... excuse me.. who are you stereotyping?

some girls can wear no makeup and wear "fashionable clothes"
Reply 44
Original post by de_monies

Also, this looks more like an oil painting as opposed to a photograph

You can tell it's been photoshopped considering how different her neck and top part of her chest looks like, compared to the other image. Irony much?

Someone remarked how she looks like the Mona Lisa. Frankly, I think that's an insult to Mona Lisa. Moaning Liz however...

Bravo HAHAHAHA.
Reply 45
Original post by hannahchan
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2165732/Holly-Willoughby-Betraying-women-going-barefaced-Says-Liz-Jones-says-real-feminists-trowel-make-up.html

How can people say that makeup is natural?

:frown:.. it's to hide blemishes but it's not natural.

Makeup is too look good but you can't deny your self and your real beauty as that's really what counts.

What do you people on the makeup thread think?

You do realise that this is an article by the Daily Mail, right?

Of course it's talking a pile of horse manure with sprinkles on top.
What does it matter I find myself sounding like a broken record as I keep saying just let people live their own lives!! So some people are blessed with gorgeous skin what does it matter to her or to any of us for that matter?

Personally I wear make-up, I don't cake it on and I spend all of 5 minutes on it if that, but its certainly not arrogant if you don't wear it. It just means you're intelligent enough to form your own opinion and go against what is now a social norm just like if you wear make-up because of x,y and z you've come to and made that decision through a thought process.

Honestly what a stupid thing to report about, is this what news has come to? I know it's the Daily Mail but jeez no wonder so many girls end up thinking they're ugly and no one will love them or thinking they're fat! Its all because of people like her just let people be who they are!!

/rant
no make up isn't arrogant but the people who think they're special for not wearing make up and make a point about it are arrogant. sometimes i wear make up, sometimes i don't... is it really a big deal? does it really make you above those who wear huge layers of it (i don't do this but if people like this style then go for it)? no...
Whenever I see makeup vs no-makeup photos, it always looks as though someone's actually edited the no-makeup photo to make it look worse, or just taken a photo of someone vaguely similar looking but with loads of acne. I see people without make-up on all the time - but how come they never look as bad as these supposed "photos of celebrities with no makeup"? Don't know about you, but I think something seems amiss...
Original post by littlebluedinosaur
I think that just like girls wear fashionable clothes to enhance their features, they wear makeup to enhance their facial features and I think it is a good thing. It is another way of showing that a girl cares about how she looks. To me I associate a girl that doesnt wear makeup as being someone that doesn't care about themselves and it usually goes with the hoody trainers type of girl. From my experience boys don't usually go for that.

I don't wear make-up unless I'm going out somewhere nice and I'm very much a hoody and trainers kind of girl, and I've had a boyfriend for a year and a half.

Breaking the rules :headbang:
Reply 50
Original post by Formerly Helpful_C
Liz Jones, the writer of the article.

Here she is with make-up:

Imagine going home with her and waking up next to the original picture. Sickening.

What a shame, because she looks just as bad with makeup...

if she were to groom her eyebrows, lightly conceal blemishes and get a nice haircut/style, she could look 10000 times better
Liz Jones is so annoying her articles are always putting females down for the way they look yet she goes on like she's perfect when she's not.
Original post by im so academic
If you're naturally physically ugly:

*If you don't wear make-up, you look ugly (because you're not wearing anything).
*If you do wear make-up, then you'll have men saying they prefer "natural beauty".

But without make-up you look ugly. With make-up, they still don't like you because you're not natural.

Ugly women can't win, can they?

Man, puberty's been rough on you, hasn't it?

You will do loads better when you realise that love is subjective. As a teenager it might not seem so, but everyone finds different things attractive. Just club together with ten of your mates, make a list of your ideal men and compare/contrast to see for yourself. I myself have punched above my weight, or have dated women that others would deem as unattractive, they have all been beautiful and the centre of my universe. Love blinds you, and romance certainly isnt as black or white as you make out.
I don't care if a woman wants to wear make-up or not. It's down to them: some women look better with make-up; some women look better without.
I'm more concerned about the reason why a woman wears make-up. If it's because she wants to, she genuinely feels it's an improvement, and she feels more confident in herself - go for it.
If she's wearing make-up because she feel like she has to or else people will look down on her (or something such as being seen as arrogant), then there's a big, big problem.
Makeup can either look naturally/tastefully applied or it can look a bit over the top. If a woman doesn't wear it, it's her choice and not wearing it alone doesn't warrant her being deemed as arrogant.

In my experience I have actually found the opposite; I have to admit that during my secondary education I shared classes with quite shallow girls (it was probably phase) who would taunt other girls for not wearing it, naming them "ugly" or even "blokes". Not so long ago, I came across a girl's Twitter page from one of my old classes who commented on how ugly girls are if they are pale or don't wear makeup. Although I took note of her profile picture, and I wasn't sure whether she was intentionally doing an impersonation of a cast member from The Only Way is Essex. Therefore this is an example of how a girl who likes to wear makeup can deride those who prefer the natural look.

I, for one, don't tend to bother how much or how little makeup a female wears as it isn't a particularly interesting topic and again it's a choice and how comfortable they feel.
Original post by paperclip
Man, puberty's been rough on you, hasn't it?

You will do loads better when you realise that love is subjective. As a teenager it might not seem so, but everyone finds different things attractive. Just club together with ten of your mates, make a list of your ideal men and compare/contrast to see for yourself. I myself have punched above my weight, or have dated women that others would deem as unattractive, they have all been beautiful and the centre of my universe. Love blinds you, and romance certainly isnt as black or white as you make out.

For girls it's different. It really is subjective in terms of what girls want in men. It's not for men. What they want in girls is largely the same or similar.
I both disagree and agree with all of the above . . . . .
God everything she writes is completely self satisfying. Plus, I don't see how some girls brag about not wearing makeup!? That's just stupidity on their part, who gives a damn what you do with your face! That would also e directed at girls who brag about this brand new face product they bought.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by im so academic
For girls it's different. It really is subjective in terms of what girls want in men. It's not for men. What they want in girls is largely the same or similar.

I have years of experience more than you. Just go with me on this one.

To be honest, if you think that about my entire sex then you deserve to be single anyway. Excellent way to take away my individualism and cast me as a homogeneous group.

You're hearing this from a guy, so there must be at least one decent guy out there.
Original post by madders94
That's because Holly Willoughby looks beautiful without make-up. Liz Jones without make-up looks a bit like this -

- and in Liz Jones Land, no woman is allowed to look prettier than her.

I was going to say...
No wonder she insists all women MUST wear makeup!
Holly looks kind of cute without any make up, Liz jones looks like an Uraki or something :rolleyes:
I love the way shes even got the bra out, in a **** attempt to bring something back to it. Good try Liz, but we're all thinking battle of helms deep here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending