The Student Room Group

Biological Sciences: Reading list

Hi,
I'm going to be studying Biological Sciences at UEA in September (if all goes to plan :P) and I'm currently applying for a grant from a charity to help me pay for some of my books, equipment, etc. They require a list of books and prices that I may need so...
does anyone have a reading list/useful book list for Biological Sciences/Biology?

Thanks,
Emma
Reply 1
Campbell and Reece "Biology" is what my uni uses for first year/can be used in second year. It's quite good. Costs around £50 I think.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Thanks
Is it vital you have to submit the list of things you want before you start your course? Most (if not all) modules will have recommended textbooks that are relevant to the course, and some may overlap. For example, this year I had Campbell and Reece Biology but it was only really useful once despite its size. It's a very general book so doesn't go in to too much depth about things.

Alberts Essential Cell Biology (or Molecular Biology Of The Cell have come in very useful this year, but again that's only because of the modules I did. Horton's Principles Of Biochemistry is also a great textbook, but again only if you end up doing plenty of biochemical things.
Reply 4
Original post by fretter778
Is it vital you have to submit the list of things you want before you start your course? Most (if not all) modules will have recommended textbooks that are relevant to the course, and some may overlap. For example, this year I had Campbell and Reece Biology but it was only really useful once despite its size. It's a very general book so doesn't go in to too much depth about things.

Alberts Essential Cell Biology (or Molecular Biology Of The Cell have come in very useful this year, but again that's only because of the modules I did. Horton's Principles Of Biochemistry is also a great textbook, but again only if you end up doing plenty of biochemical things.

Well they want a list with prices etc so they can work out how much to give me but it doesnt mean i have to buy the books listed in the end, its just to give a general idea. Thanks.
Reply 5
Why don't you contact UEA?
Reply 6
Original post by Natalie21
Why don't you contact UEA?

Thats what I did to start with but they havent replied.
Reply 7
Original post by emmakh123
Thats what I did to start with but they havent replied.

Sorry, no need for the neg - only trying to help!
I really recommend thinking carefully before you buy any textbooks really. Campbell and Reece's Biology is often cited as the essential first/second year undergrad text book, but it's so general as to be of very little help other than as a general introduction to a topic. Each module may have a recommended textbook, and you can almost certainly find a copy to look at in the library. Even then, most people I know got away without ever having owned a textbook. You can usually find the info you need in the library, plus a whole lot more (in more depth) online.
Reply 9
Campbell and Reece was good for 1st year plant topics, but the rest of it is quite general - you mainly use it for citations. Tbh I don't recommend buying it. Molecular Biology of the Cell is awesome for cell biology, and I even used an old edition. I borrowed it from the uni library, and seriously regretted buying the Campbell and Reece book! You could also look in Oxfam book shops - I found around 3 books for my course from there, all under £10 each.
Reply 10
I'm doing Biology next year too, and I contacted Durham to ask what I should be buying - and they said it was probably best to borrow from library etc in the first few weeks until I saw which was the most relevant as different courses have different preferences, which change a lot.

i was told most people spend around £100-£200 for everything at the beginning - books, lab coat, dissection kit. remember there might also be compulsory field trips and things. you might also want a book for practicals, i was advised to look at this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Skills-Biology-Allan-Jones/dp/0131755099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341677883&sr=8-1

i've also been told for my course the best text books are these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Molecular-Cell-Biology-Harvey-Lodish/dp/1429203145/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=18CELY6ZSM46Y&coliid=IF70962I0T95M
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Science-Biology-International-Edition/dp/1429254319/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=18CELY6ZSM46Y&coliid=I3TDZ0UQEBIUBV

and that you should try to get the most recent edition you can afford, but the previous 1/2 editions would be fine.
apparently the big bookshops often do deals on these kind of books when bought together, but you would do well to look at Amazon (used), Ebay, and Oxfam Books & Music.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's also a good idea not to just automatically go with whatever book your module organizer suggests. You may personally prefer a different book and get on better with it. One of our lecturer's decreed that everyone should get Voet & Voet's Biochemistry, but I found it such a snoozefest I didn't bother and found an alternate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending