The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTallOne
Most halls have bike racks that are outdoors and unsheltered. You could probably store your foldable bike in your room if you want to.

All year storage: in a 30 week let you get a 1.3m x 0.8m x 0.7m lockable cupboard (approx) that you could store stuff in. There is also a (small, limited space) trunk room with priority for international students where you could leave your stuff.

Thanks!

And do people use bikes a lot in the campus or to go off-campus?
I've been going to school with a bike for last 4 years.

Btw,what's the fastest way to get to Birmingham?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 4861
Original post by Black-Adder
Thanks!

And do people use bikes a lot in the campus or to go off-campus?
I've been going to school with a bike for last 4 years.

Btw,what's the fastest way to get to Birmingham?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Some people use bikes on campus but the majority don't. Going off campus, people usually get the bus to either Coventry or Leamington, but there's nothing to stop you cycling to places if you wanted to.

The best way to get to Birmingham is to first walk to Canley station (approximately 30 minutes walk from outside the SU so a bike would probably help with this part) then get the train in towards Birmingham New Street (another 30 minutes). The train will also stop at some smaller stations along the way if that's where you need to go. I'm not sure what the policy is about bringing bicycles on the train.

Other options are to get a taxi there which should take about 34 minutes but obviously this would be very expensive. And if you have heavy luggage then you may prefer to take the number 12 bus to Coventry station and go to Birmingham from there.
Reply 4862
Hi guys, first time poster here :smile:
Just done my application for accommodation, I put:
-Sherbourne
-Bluebell
-Whitefields
-Jack Martin
-Rootes

This thread is so good btw, it's really helped me in choosing - well done TheTallOne! :smile: Still have a few questions to anyone who would be kind enough to reply...

1) Really want 'flats' (in case you didn't notice from my choices! :P) so was wondering how likely is it that I'd get one of my top 3? (Warwick's my firm)Obviously Sherbourne's new so we dunno how popular it'll be, but any predictions??

2) I've reas on here that people from Bluebell (and presumably this'll be the case for Sherbourne as well 'cause it's so similar) are really unsociable... is this true and if so how bad is it? I mean, I did put in my personality thing that I'm sociable and I like to go out and that, but is there still a chance that I'd be put in a flat with loads of people that never leave their room lol?

3) Cause many of these are 39 week, will there be lots of international people? Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against international people, it's just I'm worried I'd feel a bit isolated if I was one of the only British students.

Any replies would be much appreciated! :smile:
Hi guys. So basically I am applying to Warwick on adjustment on August because I'm supposed to get A*A*A, which is significantly higher grades than my firm offer.

My question is what accommodation will I be left with if I manage to secure an offer from Warwick. I assume I'll be left with a choice from the least popular accommodation or none at all. Is it likely that accommodation such as Bluebell or AV will have spaces left? It seems that Bluebell is mildly unpopular because of the key cards and the price but I'd rather Bluebell than the cheapest accommodation that doesn't have an en-suit.

Any reply would be great, thanks.
Original post by allie198

1) Really want 'flats' (in case you didn't notice from my choices! :P) so was wondering how likely is it that I'd get one of my top 3? (Warwick's my firm)Obviously Sherbourne's new so we dunno how popular it'll be, but any predictions??

2) I've reas on here that people from Bluebell (and presumably this'll be the case for Sherbourne as well 'cause it's so similar) are really unsociable... is this true and if so how bad is it? I mean, I did put in my personality thing that I'm sociable and I like to go out and that, but is there still a chance that I'd be put in a flat with loads of people that never leave their room lol?

3) Cause many of these are 39 week, will there be lots of international people? Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against international people, it's just I'm worried I'd feel a bit isolated if I was one of the only British students.

Any replies would be much appreciated! :smile:

1. Given the fact that Bluebell is expensive and so puts people off, I'd say you will easily get there or Sherbourne.

2. They do try to match people well. I was a flat accommodation in first year and we had a good balance of people - nobody was really a recluse type. It'll be unlikely that you would be stuck in a flat with nobody else similar to you, but even if you do then you will make friends elsewhere so it's not the end of the world.

3. No. Obviously Warwick has a really high proportion of international students, but plenty of British students choose 39 week accommodation too because it's not convenient for everyone to move out every holiday. A couple of years ago they seemed to scatter exchange students amongst flats but form clusters of international students and home students in which to put them. If that makes any remote sense. However it may have changed in the past few years, I don't know.
Original post by Mishmashmoo
My question is what accommodation will I be left with if I manage to secure an offer from Warwick. I assume I'll be left with a choice from the least popular accommodation or none at all. Is it likely that accommodation such as Bluebell or AV will have spaces left? It seems that Bluebell is mildly unpopular because of the key cards and the price but I'd rather Bluebell than the cheapest accommodation that doesn't have an en-suit.

Any reply would be great, thanks.

You'll just put in an application with all the choices and be allocated as normal. However in past years most insurance offers/adjustment offers people ended up in Westwood or Liberty Park in Coventry. Given there is more campus accommodation available now, I would like to think that they won't shove you in Cov, but there is a significant chance you'd end up in Westwood. Bluebell...honestly don't know the average make up of that hall.

Don't get het up on the ensuite issue though. It's honestly not a problem to share a bathroom. If I had to choose between sharing a bathroom or sharing a kitchen I would choose to share a bathroom any day :p:
Hi guys. So basically I am applying to Warwick on adjustment on August because I'm supposed to get A*A*A, which is significantly higher grades than my firm offer.

How do you know for sure that your course will be in adjustment?, which course have you applied for?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4867
Original post by georgia
1. Given the fact that Bluebell is expensive and so puts people off, I'd say you will easily get there or Sherbourne.

2. They do try to match people well. I was a flat accommodation in first year and we had a good balance of people - nobody was really a recluse type. It'll be unlikely that you would be stuck in a flat with nobody else similar to you, but even if you do then you will make friends elsewhere so it's not the end of the world.

3. No. Obviously Warwick has a really high proportion of international students, but plenty of British students choose 39 week accommodation too because it's not convenient for everyone to move out every holiday. A couple of years ago they seemed to scatter exchange students amongst flats but form clusters of international students and home students in which to put them. If that makes any remote sense. However it may have changed in the past few years, I don't know.

Reply 4868
Hi guys,

The accomodation choices in order are:

1. Arthur Vick
2. Sherbourne
3. Bluebell
4. Off campus
5. Don't know yet

What are the chances of me securing my first or second choice taking into account that I have put down Warwick as my insurance choice on UCAS ?
Heeya I've got a firm offer for English Lit undergrad and I'm thinking of applying:

1 Jack Martin
2 Rootes
3 Cryfield
4 Sherbourne/Whitefields
5 Westwood

I'm looking for a balance between socializing/work - I like to sleep at night but I'd really hate to be totally isolated! Don't want to be miles and miles away from anything (so I'm a bit apprehensive about putting down either Sherbourne or Westwood for that reason - but it's gotta be one of them... :s-smilie:) and I like to go out quite often but not constantly (twice a week max.)! Any advice? :confused:

ETA: Also quite keen on making friends in hall so not sure about Whitefields but I'm concerned if I put down Westwood I'll end up miles away (not a keen walker)!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4870
I don't know if anyone's interested in this but just in case, I've got a couple of (admittedly not brilliant) pictures of Sherbourne under construction as seen from the back of Lakeside 4.

DSC06007.jpg

DSC06014.jpg

DSC06011.jpg

There's another block to the right behind the red one and then to the right of that is Lakeside staff flats but it was difficult to get a picture of that area. This should give a reasonable idea of what it's going to look like.
Original post by cantseethesky
Heeya I've got a firm offer for English Lit undergrad and I'm thinking of applying:

1 Jack Martin
2 Rootes
3 Cryfield
4 Sherbourne/Whitefields
5 Westwood

I'm looking for a balance between socializing/work - I like to sleep at night but I'd really hate to be totally isolated! Don't want to be miles and miles away from anything (so I'm a bit apprehensive about putting down either Sherbourne or Westwood for that reason - but it's gotta be one of them... :s-smilie:) and I like to go out quite often but not constantly (twice a week max.)! Any advice? :confused:

ETA: Also quite keen on making friends in hall so not sure about Whitefields but I'm concerned if I put down Westwood I'll end up miles away (not a keen walker)!

Westwood isn't "miles away", it's about the same distance to most academic buildings as most other halls (excluding Gibbet Hill of course, but that isn't relevant for you) - the main big differences are that it's way closer to tesco, and that the distance to the SU means people in Westwood tend to venture to Cov/Leam much earlier and don't go out in the SU much at all.
(edited 11 years ago)
From what I heard at the open day, I tried to avoid Rootes at all costs haha :P
Original post by onefour
I don't know if anyone's interested in this but just in case, I've got a couple of (admittedly not brilliant) pictures of Sherbourne under construction as seen from the back of Lakeside 4.

There's another block to the right behind the red one and then to the right of that is Lakeside staff flats but it was difficult to get a picture of that area. This should give a reasonable idea of what it's going to look like.

Thanks!

It's my first choice
Reply 4874
Original post by Ray of Light
From what I heard at the open day, I tried to avoid Rootes at all costs haha :P

Elaborate.
Original post by Tsunami2011
How do you know for sure that your course will be in adjustment?, which course have you applied for?

I don't, I'm just hoping it is. I'll have to find out on the 18th of august. I'm applying for Philosophy, Politics & Economics.
Original post by Roy064
Elaborate.

Different people have different tastes :dontknow:

While Rootes is definitely the 'social place to be' many people can't put up with the constant noise (especially when the door's ground clearance is several centimetres - you can hear everything!), the constant pranks, sleepless nights, the constant partying and the feeling of never being able to 'get away from it'. While this may epitomise the student lifestyle, you definitely miss the home comforts ( e.g - actually being able to lock your door (properly :tongue:)).

You've probably read all the pros (sociable, close to SU, open halls) and cons (lack of privacy, security, not ensuite, no integral laundrette) of various accommodation blocks, so I won't bore you with them in great detail :smile:
Reply 4877
Original post by Nirgilis
Different people have different tastes :dontknow:

While Rootes is definitely the 'social place to be' many people can't put up with the constant noise (especially when the door's ground clearance is several centimetres - you can hear everything!), the constant pranks, sleepless nights, the constant partying and the feeling of never being able to 'get away from it'. While this may epitomise the student lifestyle, you definitely miss the home comforts ( e.g - actually being able to lock your door (properly :tongue:)).

You've probably read all the pros (sociable, close to SU, open halls) and cons (lack of privacy, security, not ensuite, no integral laundrette) of various accommodation blocks, so I won't bore you with them in great detail :smile:

Ah, the post made it sound as if there was something really wrong that was mentioned at the open day. I'm between Rootes and Bluebell for my 1st choice and the social side is swaying me towards Rootes over the comfort of an ensuite.
Reply 4878
I don't actually mind what kind of accomodation I get so I picked at random...
I don't, I'm just hoping it is. I'll have to find out on the 18th of august. I'm applying for Philosophy, Politics & Economics.

PPE won't be in adjustment. It's one of the most popular/oversubscribed courses in the country.

Do take a gap year if you fancy it, mind.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending