The Student Room Group

VoNC In The Secretary general

Please note this debate and vote is OUT OF CHARACTER

I have been asked to facilitate this VoNC in my capacity as DSG. I could not find any specific process set out (possibly due to my own ignorance) and as such I shall consider this a discussion thread where reasons can be provided and discussed and I will put up a vote in a few days or when the discussion has reached a natural conclusion. Feel free to provide input regarding the process in this thread/via PM :smile:

VoNC

Vote

We the above call a vote of no confidence in the Secretary General (Thunder_chunky) for the following reasons:

1) Activity of the MUN

The Secretary General has so far failed to generate activity. Posts and updates are infrequent leading to sporadic bursts of activity rather than smooth and consistent levels of activity. The Secretary General promises reform and activity (through hyps), but these have failed to materialise. The few genuine reforms such as blocs and the recent summit have been as a result of other members and not the Secretary General

2) Running the Lib Dems

The Secretary General has failed to dedicate time to running this forum. Given that he is now leading the Lib Dems, we can expect fewer updates and less activity from him. In a forum of already dangerously low activity, can we really afford for this to happen?

3) Manner in debates

The Secretary General has become increasingly irritable towards many members of the forum. He attempted to take over the summit in particular and usurp the work of Rory.

We are not calling this VONC for personal reasons, but for the good of the MUN. We need a Secretary General who will develop the MUN and encourage activity. We have no confidence that the current Secretary General can and therefore have called this vote. We wish the Secretary General well in the future should this vote succeed, but we need a fresh vision and drive forward for the MUN which others may be suited to achieving.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We've been promised that a hype is "soon" quite a few times since the SG took over, we've had only one.
Reply 3
Original post by Ethereal

Thanks for the reminder. Added in red :smile:
Reply 4
How is it thunder_chunky's fault if there's low levels of activity? It's solely the fault of UN members if they choose not to participate.
Original post by PoGo HoPz
How is it thunder_chunky's fault if there's low levels of activity? It's solely the fault of UN members if they choose not to participate.

He's done nothing to encourage it, and his levels of activity and commitment arent good enough either.
As a person who experienced a 3 day wait to be admitted to the MUN recently on returning to it, I think that kind of commitment is somewhat lacking to the role. Then found that nations were taken up full of idlers that were of interest to me it took me a great deal of time to work out how to eek something productive and interesting out of the scraps of meat nations left vacant.

I see activity was being monitored, but again as the VoNC says the materialization of this has not occurred. I doubt it ever will. TC has been running the MUN for a long time and it has ultimately lapsed since the times of Student2806 and it seems he somewhat inherited the position from his former Lib Dem leader while he was deputy Lib Dem leader in the first place, people assumed since Student2806 swore by him that things were to carry on as good as they were under Student2806, they never did though.

There are a lot of good ideas and good things happening in the MUN lately that have been pioneered and run by the same few individuals who tend to do all the work now in the MUN. The summit was a great idea and great working, I only wonder that it should of been the SG chairing the meeting, Rory did a cracking job chairing that summit yet the purpose and point of the presence of TC the SG was unknown, it seemed he was merely there to line his name to an achievement that was not his.

I can't wait to get more involved in the MUN and see it strengthened and I think the best people to deliver that have already been dragging it along despite not having any legitimate role to help them actually embark on the change and innovation the MUN needs to spark new activity interest and this time maintain it.

Lot's of people have lots of ideas to improve the MUN but the SG uses the same excuse: "The Mods are difficult" well maybe they are, but maybe if someone had some passion, conviction and belief in the role of SG the Mods would be compelled to cooperate and have faith in a new SG, with the leadership and vision a SG needs. TC I feel has done a good deal of work on administration here and is very good at that, but he just isn't leadership material he is a far better secretary and on occasion a fairly standard number two deputy, but he has not stepped up to the plate and opportunity the MUN presented, so for that I compel you to vote in favour of the VoNC.
Reply 7
Original post by Moleman1996
He's done nothing to encourage it, and his levels of activity and commitment arent good enough either.

My inbox groaning under the weight of his PMs disagrees
Reply 8
I don't think its TC's fault that there is a lack of activity. Though I don't know about the rest. I'm tempted to abstain in this vote. Plus since I am not a very active member I'm not sure I have much of a right to vote in this.
We are sorry that we've had to call this VONC, but there is no option available to us. The SG has not reformed the forum in any way. It is a few members who are leading reform, but he only just got on the bandwagon when we started up the blocs. The news stories took confrontation to even get the new ones posted. The updates are sporadic. Activity isn't there because the lists of members aren't updated regularly enough and the forum is left to stagnate between updates.

The SG has had a year and has done very little and so we feel that we have no choice left, but to call this VONC.

paddy__power

QFA

How does a four day discussion period followed by a four day vote sound?
Reply 10
Original post by misterxninja

Lot's of people have lots of ideas to improve the MUN but the SG uses the same excuse: "The Mods are difficult" well maybe they are, but maybe if someone had some passion, conviction and belief in the role of SG the Mods would be compelled to cooperate and have faith in a new SG, with the leadership and vision a SG needs.

Don't over-estimate the importance of the MUN to the mod team / acumen. It doesn't generate site footfall or revenue.
Original post by Ethereal
My inbox groaning under the weight of his PMs disagrees

The PMs arent frequent enough at points, he hardly ever posts news stories comparatively, its not been made clear that we can post news stories etc.

He's not followed up on any promises made.
Original post by PoGo HoPz

Why are members not being active, because he is failing to facilitate things to get interested and active about and innovate new ideas to maintain interest...

He has no innovative ideas and no substance in terms of producing things to help increase activity. Other members have innovative ideas it would not be fair that he takes them as his achievements. Other members have drove activity forward slightly but those members would make better SG's than TC and given the capacity the position of SG brings would actually be able to have a positive effect on activity.
Reply 13
This is dreadful and I'll be voting "no".

Morgsie: you are the worst sore loser there has ever been.

Toronto: you are disappointed that the Lib Dems now look even less likely to form a coalition with UKIP and the Tories and also think that the MUN's sole purpose should be the execution of your own grand schemes.

Misterxninja: you clearly are incredibly jealous of T_C; do you think of him as a rival or something? Either way this is down to the animousity between you both and does not at all relate to the way the MUN is organised by the Secretary General.

RoryS: Everything I've said about you before, multiplied by two.

This is pathetic and I urge all MUN folks to vote against this. It has far more to do with matters internal to the MHoC than anything else. T_C has, since I joined this site, been a damn good secretary general. The updates are coherent and concise - they compare favourably with the rambling ones EU Bloc members receive from the acting secretariat. More could be done to stir activity, but that is down to all of us involved here - the SC is a single person, and for his part he has facilitated the projects of other members. I'm sure he'd be willing to engineer more hypotheticals if people had an appetite for those.
Reply 14
Original post by toronto353
We are sorry that we've had to call this VONC, but there is no option available to us. The SG has not reformed the forum in any way. It is a few members who are leading reform, but he only just got on the bandwagon when we started up the blocs. The news stories took confrontation to even get the new ones posted. The updates are sporadic. Activity isn't there because the lists of members aren't updated regularly enough and the forum is left to stagnate between updates.

The SG has had a year and has done very little and so we feel that we have no choice left, but to call this VONC.

The vote will be 5 days as that is the length of the election for the same post and thus seems appropriate. I'm happy to set a 4 day cap on discussion though but will probably start the vote if nothing is posted for a whole day, for example - if there is no objection.
Original post by Aj12
I don't think its TC's fault that there is a lack of activity. Though I don't know about the rest. I'm tempted to abstain in this vote. Plus since I am not a very active member I'm not sure I have much of a right to vote in this.

You have every right. It's your MUN as well and you should have a say in its future. The SG could do more hyps. The SG could have more frequent updates. The SG could look at ways to reform the forum to boost activity. The SG could inform members that they can post their own stories (many seem not to know). The SG can do all that. Why hasn't he?
Original post by toronto353

This. Last night I finally managed to get round to getting a list of all the Arab League countries, using the full list of members for info. I noticed that misterninjax hadn't yet been added, despite having posted a few times already in our thread as the rep for Mauritania. Surely if you have time to accept them into the usergroup, you can add them to the list?
Reply 17
Original post by paddy__power
The vote will be 5 days as that is the length of the election for the same post and thus seems appropriate. I'm happy to set a 4 day cap on discussion though but will probably start the vote if nothing is posted for a whole day, for example - if there is no objection.

I'm going to post every day just to annoy you :biggrin:
Reply 18
I will also, for the record, be voting no.

This place wouldn't exist if it wasn't for T_C and while I understand people are frustrated I don't think it is fair to direct this at him as I truly don't think anyone else would have done much better if at all.
Original post by JPKC
This is dreadful and I'll be voting "no".

Morgsie: you are the worst sore loser there has ever been.

Toronto: you are disappointed that the Lib Dems now look even less likely to form a coalition with UKIP and the Tories and also think that the MUN's sole purpose should be the execution of your own grand schemes.

Misterxninja: you clearly are incredibly jealous of T_C; do you think of him as a rival or something? Either way this is down to the animousity between you both and does not at all relate to the way the MUN is organised by the Secretary General.

RoryS: Everything I've said about you before, multiplied by two.

This is pathetic and I urge all MUN folks to vote against this. It has far more to do with matters internal to the MHoC than anything else. T_C has, since I joined this site, been a damn good secretary general. The updates are coherent and concise - they compare favourably with the rambling ones EU Bloc members receive from the acting secretariat. More could be done to stir activity, but that is down to all of us involved here - the SC is a single person, and for his part he has facilitated the projects of other members. I'm sure he'd be willing to engineer more hypotheticals if people had an appetite for those.

I guess due to my ommission from your attacks you still love me? :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending