The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arturo Bandini
Apart from strengthshop, where else is good for buying decent - but not expensive - equipment for home?

Pullum sports sometimes have decent discounts.
Original post by Aeschylus
Pullum sports sometimes have decent discounts.

Cheers.

It's the plates that are so expensive. Wanna be able to bench which means a fair amount of weight is needed. I might email strengthshop and pullum see if either can offer any sort of deal.
Reply 3942
I want to get a squat rack and some weights but not sure my flat's floor can take the weight.

What the **** mayne?! 315kg raw at 23 years old.
Kirill Sarychev. I still remember myself making a thread ages ago asking about how he could be so awesome lol. He gives hope for guys that don't have short arms.
(edited 11 years ago)
Someone said the guy behind him is Boris Sheiko although I don't know for sure. That would mean he trains him I'd imagine.
It is Boris Sheiko but I'm not sure if he trains him. I used to think he trained Malanichev and Balyaev but then I saw some interviews.
I got a question you guys might be able to help with. Been back in the gym, week 6 now, and have been doing seated shoulder presses. Is it normal that this seems to work my traps more than anything? It doesn't seem to hit my shoulders that much. My traps look pumped afterwards.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by alex_tait
It is Boris Sheiko but I'm not sure if he trains him. I used to think he trained Malanichev and Balyaev but then I saw some interviews.

He doesn't train them? Well maybe not directly but I thought everything to do with powerlifting he was a part of at least so maybe others do it but it's all from his ideas/principles.

Original post by silent ninja
I got a question you guys might be able to help with. Been back in the gym, week 6 now, and have been doing seated shoulder presses. Is it normal that this seems to work my traps more than anything? It doesn't seem to hit my shoulders that much. My traps look pumped afterwards.

Not sure about traps but to be honest I never really feel my shoulders working when I do them. Only time I really feel shoulders is if I do rear/side delt work. Well, that and general shoulder pain. :P

I wouldn't really worry much about it though. Although maybe you're kind of shrugging when you do them to get it up or something?

The traps aren't the main mucles worked during the shoulder press however, they are actively engaged during the press. Similar to triceps, the traps work most during top half of the press. I would say that your delts and core work the most during the press.
Original post by pinda.college
The traps aren't the main mucles worked during the shoulder press however, they are actively engaged during the press. Similar to triceps, the traps work most during top half of the press. I would say that your delts and core work the most during the press.

My delts don't feel like they've worked but I think you're right. I think I'm gonna throw in some more delt work.
Always thought this Ted Arcidi bench video was amazing, he has no leg drive or arch and benches ridiculous weights like nothing.

[video="youtube;oyHwAtrJC7Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyHwAtrJC7Q[/video]
There is definitely leg drive there.

To be fair a lot of the bigger benchers don't use much arch just because they are already MASSIVE. Arch is also only meant to be used to help so of course if it doesn't it is useless.

Personally I still think Henderson's 600lbs triple is the best I've seen. Massive control over the weight and he has a ring on, no wrist wraps or any of that, no belt or anything.
Whast about Eric Spoto...also that big black dude that is around recently benches pretty basically and benched about 670lbs...the spotters wasn't even near the bar.
The thing is arch might not help but I don't see how leg drive wouldn't help. Although you'll always get a few insanely strong guys very different things from the norm.
My delts don't feel like they've worked but I think you're right. I think I'm gonna throw in some more delt work.

Do you do seated dumbbell or barbell press?

Also what weight/s and rep set are you doing?
I've always wondered what these 300kg+ bench pressers would strict press...surely they have interest in that and would have videos of it floating around, but nothing.

I still hope at some point Big Z has a good crack at powerlifting, would be interested to see what he squats and bench presses with just wraps and belts.
Original post by pinda.college
Do you do seated dumbbell or barbell press?

Also what weight/s and rep set are you doing?

I'm doing seated barbell presses. I don't want to vary my workout just yet, but have done dumbell presses in the past which do offer better range of motion.

Only doing 35kg x 5 reps at the moment, but haven't quite managed to squeeze 3 sets out at this weight (shoulders are pretty tired after bench press). My general upper body strength sucks ass, hence the weight lifting.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm doing seated barbell presses. I don't want to vary my workout just yet, but have done dumbell presses in the past which do offer better range of motion.

Only doing 35kg x 5 reps at the moment, but haven't quite managed to squeeze 3 sets out at this weight (shoulders are pretty tired after bench press). My general upper body strength sucks ass, hence the weight lifting.

why you doing em seated? terrible for your back if I'm not mistaken. Stand up and you get good core involvement.
Original post by HFerguson
why you doing em seated? terrible for your back if I'm not mistaken. Stand up and you get good core involvement.

I walked in the gym planning to do them standing and had a "oh look at that, it's a seat I'll give it a try" moment and kept doing it every week then on. Being serious. The only advantage of seated is I guess you can't cheat with your hips. I should do them standing at some point. I was doing some good mornings today and bloody hell 20kg felt surprisingly heavy above the head. I thought I was gonna throw it up and behind my head and it took me by surprise lol
Is it me or do you feel more like a man doing standing presses? That's another plus.

On another note, still struggling with deadlift grip. I managed 100kg x 3 today before the bar virtually slipped out of my double overhand grip. I think the bar is rubbish, it turns too much and we're not allowed chalk atm until the carpeted area is revamped. With heavy weights I'm finding it impossible to do 5 reps without a long pause and reset.
I did 140kg x 2 with mixed grip which further reinforces how weak my upper body strength is (and my grip) :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest