The Student Room Group

Driving lesson ...

Hi Guys,

Right I've basically had 12 lessons with my current instructor the only things i've done so far is turning right/left/reversing/rounabouts/junctions I don't know if this is good or bad for the amount of lessons I have had....

My instructor has been on holiday for like three to four weeks and just got back recently and she goes I will be going again in August :s-smilie: for a wedding but her mother is really ill as well so she always seems like she has a lot on.

Before she went on holiday and when I started I informed her I would like to pass my test by August she said if you pass your theory then when I get back we will make a plan but now goes You will only be able to achieve that if you have three lessons a week but that's kind of a bit to much pressure but I wanted to have passed before I went to Uni ... Every time she goes away I feel like I can't do things like properly or I get really nervous especially when going on a roundabout because I haven't done them for like four weeks. I feel like lessons just drag also test dates are very limited :frown: ...

Sorry for the long explanation but do you think I should go with another instructor i.e AA

Would really appreciate any help Thanks :smile: :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hk :)
Hi Guys,

Right I've basically had 12 lessons with my current instructor the only things i've done so far is turning right/left/reversing/rounabouts/junctions I don't know if this is good or bad for the amount of lessons I have had....

My instructor has been on holiday for like three to four weeks and just got back recently and she goes I will be going again in August :s-smilie: for a wedding but her mother is really ill as well so she always seems like she has a lot on.

Before she went on holiday and when I started I informed her I would like to pass my test by August she said if you pass your theory then when I get back we will make a plan but now goes You will only be able to achieve that if you have three lessons a week but that's kind of a bit to much pressure but I wanted to have passed before I went to Uni ... Every time she goes away I feel like I can't do things like properly or I get really nervous especially when going on a roundabout because I haven't done them for like four weeks. I feel like lessons just drag also test dates are very limited :frown: ...

Sorry for the long explanation but do you think I should go with another instructor i.e AA

I think what you've done so far sounds about right, but if they're not going to be around to teach you then yeah I would suggest finding another instructor, but be wary of places like AA and Red they mess you around a bit, if I were you id ask your friends and see who they suggest.
learner should go for15-20 lessons of driving every weak.
Reply 3
Original post by jimcatinnes
I think what you've done so far sounds about right, but if they're not going to be around to teach you then yeah I would suggest finding another instructor, but be wary of places like AA and Red they mess you around a bit, if I were you id ask your friends and see who they suggest.

Ok Thanks my cousin went with the AA she said she had a instructore who was really good but If i book online I should be able to book with him as you get a choice I think :confused:
Reply 4
Original post by andrewhowell
learner should go for15-20 lessons of driving every weak.

Huh?? that's to much lol
Reply 5
15 TO 20 HOURS A WEEK WOULD BE DEEMED AN INTENSIVE COURSE - fine if thats what you want with an ADI

Certainly do that amount if using family car is possible as an add on to the hour or two each week with the ADI
Driving Instructors try to keep you as long as possible and make as much out of you as possible! Once you've learnt the basics(which you have) then go out and practice in another car either your own or parents and its a lot cheaper and easier to fit in all the extra hours. The amount of lessons you have done is quite a lot in relation to what you have learnt. From my friends experience companies like AA and BSM arent as good as smaller individual instuctors.
Reply 7
Original post by stripey_polka_dot
Bad Driving Instructors try to keep you as long as possible and make as much out of you as possible!

FTFY
Reply 8
Driving Instructors try to keep you as long as possible and make as much out of you as possible! Once you've learnt the basics(which you have) then go out and practice in another car either your own or parents and its a lot cheaper and easier to fit in all the extra hours. The amount of lessons you have done is quite a lot in relation to what you have learnt. From my friends experience companies like AA and BSM arent as good as smaller individual instuctors.

Im so confused on whether to change or not :confused: but I have got a car but it's just getting insured on it also my parents are busy with work etc but I am trying to convince them to get it insured. I may just try to find another local instructor but I wanted to change for quite a long time now but I have sought of just let it drag on my previous lesson all I did was just drive around she just asked me to do one manoeuvre and I paid her £22 she didn't teach me anything new :rolleyes:
Im so confused on whether to change or not :confused: but I have got a car but it's just getting insured on it also my parents are busy with work etc but I am trying to convince them to get it insured. I may just try to find another local instructor but I wanted to change for quite a long time now but I have sought of just let it drag on my previous lesson all I did was just drive around she just asked me to do one manoeuvre and I paid her £22 she didn't teach me anything new :rolleyes:

Its not to bad getting it insured because once you pass you can get it so it just continues works out quite cheap! Yeah that happened to my friend she was paying out so much money and felt she wasnt learning find a new instructor otherwise its just money down the drain! She needs to teach you all the manoeurves and then practice them all! :smile:
Reply 10
Its not to bad getting it insured because once you pass you can get it so it just continues works out quite cheap! Yeah that happened to my friend she was paying out so much money and felt she wasnt learning find a new instructor otherwise its just money down the drain! She needs to teach you all the manoeurves and then practice them all! :smile:

Hmm im going to ask a few friends to see but I feel like she just making excuses no because when I started I made it clear I wanted to pass by the end of August or like before uni time and she was like yeah that it fine but now she's like only if you have three lessons a week I might as well do a intense course if I do that I feel like she's to slow at teaching my other friend reccomended her but I think it was easier for her because she had private tuition :frown: But anyway thanks for your help :smile::smile:
Hi Guys,

Okay, what you should do is change your driving instructor because she doesn't sound like a very efficient one in order to get you passing your practical test for August.

I've currently had about 15.5 hours (equivalent to 2 hours twice week for the last 4 weeks or so) and during that time I have achieved roundabouts, t-junctions, left and right turn, bay parking, clutch control- next I am apparently moving on to 3 point turns. I started on the 22nd May and did have an original plan of trying to pass before I go to uni in September, but I have realised that realistically that's not going to happen because of the speed I learn things and the fact of the DSA being booked up solidly.

You will probably find if you change driving instructor the speed of your learning will improve dramatically and I defiantly recommend having at least 2 hour driving lessons twice a week if you can afford it. :smile: Good luck!
Reply 12
I'm not sure I'd recommend the AA because I've heard from several friends who learnt with them that they really seem to drag the lessons out, probably because they want the money and are under instruction to drag the lessons out by their bosses, and also which instructor you get can be a bit hit and miss, so you can either get a pretty good one or a pretty bad one.
Reply 13
Original post by blueflower114
Okay, what you should do is change your driving instructor because she doesn't sound like a very efficient one in order to get you passing your practical test for August.

I've currently had about 15.5 hours (equivalent to 2 hours twice week for the last 4 weeks or so) and during that time I have achieved roundabouts, t-junctions, left and right turn, bay parking, clutch control- next I am apparently moving on to 3 point turns. I started on the 22nd May and did have an original plan of trying to pass before I go to uni in September, but I have realised that realistically that's not going to happen because of the speed I learn things and the fact of the DSA being booked up solidly.

You will probably find if you change driving instructor the speed of your learning will improve dramatically and I defiantly recommend having at least 2 hour driving lessons twice a week if you can afford it. :smile: Good luck!

Thanks!! she also says she doesn't reccomend having two hour lessons as its a waste of money because apparently pupils lose concentration :confused: but I don't know if I would as I have never had one but most people do say they have two hour lessons lol im going to try and find another one in the local area.

Thanks for your help !! :smile: :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by CatRox
I'm not sure I'd recommend the AA because I've heard from several friends who learnt with them that they really seem to drag the lessons out, probably because they want the money and are under instruction to drag the lessons out by their bosses, and also which instructor you get can be a bit hit and miss, so you can either get a pretty good one or a pretty bad one.

Oh :frown: I think I might just try to find a individual instructor :smile:
As others have said, get a new instructor but avoid the big companies if possible. My friend passed fairly quickly with the AA but I think their lessons are pretty expensive.

You want an individual instructor for about £20/hour so you know they're good and won't drag lessons out. You need one who will be there every week so you can be constantly building on what you've learnt. It seems like this woman's job doesn't matter to her and she's not relying on it for income.

I'm not sure about passing by August after 12 hours, but with a lot of private practice and a decent instructor you can aim for it (if you can actually find a date, the waiting list can be loooong!)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
Original post by Purple Giraffe
As others have said, get a new instructor but avoid the big companies if possible. My friend passed fairly quickly with the AA but I think their lessons are pretty expensive.

You want an individual instructor for about £20/hour so you know they're good and won't drag lessons out. You need one who will be there every week so you can be constantly building on what you've learnt. It seems like this woman's job doesn't matter to her and she's not relying on it for income.

I'm not sure about passing by August after 12 hours, but with a lot of private practice and a decent instructor you can aim for it (if you can actually find a date, the waiting list can be loooong!)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

OK yeah im going to try and find a new one I would have had like 5/6 more if she didn't go on holiday but shes saying I need at least 20 more :eek::eek::eek: but im going to change I don't really like her attitude aswell Thanks for your help :smile::smile:
Thanks!! she also says she doesn't reccomend having two hour lessons as its a waste of money because apparently pupils lose concentration :confused: but I don't know if I would as I have never had one but most people do say they have two hour lessons lol im going to try and find another one in the local area.

Thanks for your help !! :smile: :smile:

No problem always happy to help! :smile:

I actually find a 2 hour lesson is good because I find a one hour lesson goes too quickly and feels like I have not learned anything. If you can find an instructor who does an hour and a half lessons then I would recommend doing that as it feels like a 2 hour lesson and it's obviously cheaper too!
Reply 18
Oh :frown: I think I might just try to find a individual instructor :smile:

Yeah, I'd advise that. Individual instructors will (in theory) have more motivation to be good and get you passed within a reasonable amount of time because it's their own business and they want it to succeed and they want you to recommend them
Reply 19
Original post by blueflower114
No problem always happy to help! :smile:

I actually find a 2 hour lesson is good because I find a one hour lesson goes too quickly and feels like I have not learned anything. If you can find an instructor who does an hour and a half lessons then I would recommend doing that as it feels like a 2 hour lesson and it's obviously cheaper too!

Will try Thanks :biggrin: :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending