The Student Room Group

VoNC In The Secretary general

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toronto353
I'm not sure that this needs to go to vote. It's got discussion about the MUN and its future into the open and it's achieved some immediate reform. If any of the seconders wants to send it to vote, then they can, but I don't intend to do so at the moment.
What's the point of all of this then, if not to usurp thunder_chunky? That was your intention, after all. :tongue:
Original post by PoGo HoPz
What's the point of all of this then, if not to usurp thunder_chunky? That was your intention, after all. :tongue:

Not at all. My intention was to try to secure something better for the MUN and to secure those improvements. From my point, they have been.
Reply 162
I'll be voting no on this.
Hi everyone :smile:

Apologies for barging into your discussion but I wanted to address some of the concerns that have been raised here.

I wanted specifically to comment upon the issue of summits and where they take place. I understand that these summits have in the past taken place off TSR. We would very much like to keep all discussions relating to the MUN on TSR, where all relevant TSR members can see and access them. There are many reasons for this, only one of which is activity and concerns relating to members moving away from TSR. We recongise that you are free to use other sites and we know that we cannot prevent you from doing so, neither would we wish to.

What we would love to do is to provide a space where we can host summits on TSR. Thunder_chunky and paddy__power have both been working closely with me to investigate this option. I have been looking into it and I believe that it should be possible to set up a shoutbox channel which can be switched on and off for summits and other live debates and discussions. The next step is to run some tests to confirm, and then we can look to establish this for your use in future. Unfortunately my time has been rather limited as a result of the recent security breach and I haven't had a chance to look into this yet, but it's definitely on my list and as soon as we make any progress either myself or thunder_chunky will update you.

I would like to take this opportunity though to appeal to you all for your cooperation. I understand that many of you are frustrated with the situation in the MUN (a situation which extends beyond the specific issue I am addressing here) but there have been some posts in this thread which are exceptionally disappointing. Please remember that it is a privilege to have the MUN forums on the site, and while we are keen to work with both the forum assistants and you guys to develop and improve the forum, we need you to work constructively with us. Attempts to 'go your own way' will only hinder the working relationship and the chances of progress and development. We need to work together to improve the MUN.

I know that thunder_chunky is working hard to come up with ideas and escalate those raised by you guys, and we are listening and taking these into consideration. Please continue to raise ideas either via thunder_chunky or alternatively you are welcome to post a thread in Ask a Supermod detailing any ideas for the forum :smile:

Thanks everyone :girl:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fleur de lis

Apologies for barging into your discussion but I wanted to address some of the concerns that have been raised here.

I wanted specifically to comment upon the issue of summits and where they take place. I understand that these summits have in the past taken place off TSR. We would very much like to keep all discussions relating to the MUN on TSR, where all relevant TSR members can see and access them. There are many reasons for this, only one of which is activity and concerns relating to members moving away from TSR. We recongise that you are free to use other sites and we know that we cannot prevent you from doing so, neither would we wish to.

What we would love to do is to provide a space where we can host summits on TSR. Thunder_chunky and paddy__power have both been working closely with me to investigate this option. I have been looking into it and I believe that it should be possible to set up a shoutbox channel which can be switched on and off for summits and other live debates and discussions. The next step is to run some tests to confirm, and then we can look to establish this for your use in future. Unfortunately my time has been rather limited as a result of the recent security breach and I haven't had a chance to look into this yet, but it's definitely on my list and as soon as we make any progress either myself or thunder_chunky will update you.

I would like to take this opportunity though to appeal to you all for your cooperation. I understand that many of you are frustrated with the situation in the MUN (a situation which extends beyond the specific issue I am addressing here) but there have been some posts in this thread which are exceptionally disappointing. Please remember that it is a privilege to have the MUN forums on the site, and while we are keen to work with both the forum assistants and you guys to develop and improve the forum, we need you to work constructively with us. Attempts to 'go your own way' will only hinder the working relationship and the chances of progress and development. We need to work together to improve the MUN.

I know that thunder_chunky is working hard to come up with ideas and escalate those raised by you guys, and we are listening and taking these into consideration. Please continue to raise ideas either via thunder_chunky or alternatively you are welcome to post a thread in Ask a Supermod detailing any ideas for the forum :smile:

Our own MUN shoutbox channel? Wow, that sounds awesome! :gah:
Our own MUN shoutbox channel? Wow, that sounds awesome! :gah:

Sort of :smile: It would be shared with the MHoC, and wouldn't be a permanent fixture - it would be switched on for specific discussions/debates.

Thanks fleur and I've managed to rep you now from when you dealt with my query in AASM. :smile: I like the idea of a shoutbox and think that would work well.
Sorry, have been away and have had internet issues so have hence only just seen this VoNC proposal.

I will be voting no and will quit if the VoNC passes. T_C works extremely hard to maintain this forum's upkeep, and I must say I disagree with others where it is inferred that he hasn't done all he can to raise activity. The MUN has always had activity problems; people join because they think it might be fun and get bored with it pretty quickly. Some even get bored of TSR and stop using it before giving up their MUN position. With the various Blocs now in place and an update sent by Toronto every day for EU, a lot of control seems to have passed around various users in the forum. The VoNC can therefore be seen as a further attempt to unfairly prise control away from T_C.
Can you please tell me when the voting begins? I'm sure many of us would like to let you know exactly what we think of your vote of 'no confidence'. :rolleyes:

In a day or two, if it needs to....

I'm not sure that this needs to go to vote. It's got discussion about the MUN and its future into the open and it's achieved some immediate reform. If any of the seconders wants to send it to vote, then they can, but I don't intend to do so at the moment.

Can you gain some consensus among you all and decide whether or not you need to intercept TC before Mark Anthony arrives. :tongue:

Then let me know ASAP :smile:

<3
Original post by paddy__power

Can you gain some consensus among you all and decide whether or not you need to intercept TC before Mark Anthony arrives. :tongue:

Then let me know ASAP :smile:

I've PM'd T_C and stated that I want this thread closed in a few hours time. :smile:
I've PM'd T_C and stated that I want this thread closed in a few hours time. :smile:

No need to close it really. People can still post here if they wish it just won't be going to vote.
Original post by paddy__power
No need to close it really. People can still post here if they wish it just won't be going to vote.

Oh yeah it won't be going to vote at all. It's achieved its purpose which was a discussion about what could be done better and a discussion about what was being done well.
Oh yeah it won't be going to vote at all. It's achieved its purpose which was a discussion about what could be done better and a discussion about what was being done well.

That discussion can carry on if people wish it to though. Just because you are satisfied that the VoNC no longer needs to happen (happily) other people may still want to voice ideas and the like.

I will probably de-pink it and let it die a natural death :tongue:
I'm glad of such a positive conclusion. I hope the MUN can continue positive conclusions with a fresh new mandate. This VoNC was wholly worthwhile, if not a little difficult for the proposers and the SG in question, let us hope this un-comfortableness will of been a price worth paying with a positive reformed active MUN :smile:
Reply 174
Are there no steps to voice concern without jumping straight to a VoNC?

Although I have only recently joined I have received prompt and helpful communication from T_C, and I can see how much effort he devotes to the MUN.

If a VoNC goes ahead, it will be a no from me.
Original post by Adam.
Are there no steps to voice concern without jumping straight to a VoNC?

Although I have only recently joined I have received prompt and helpful communication from T_C, and I can see how much effort he devotes to the MUN.

If a VoNC goes ahead, it will be a no from me.

Its not going ahead...
Reply 176
Original post by rockrunride
Sorry, have been away and have had internet issues so have hence only just seen this VoNC proposal.

I will be voting no and will quit if the VoNC passes. T_C works extremely hard to maintain this forum's upkeep, and I must say I disagree with others where it is inferred that he hasn't done all he can to raise activity. The MUN has always had activity problems; people join because they think it might be fun and get bored with it pretty quickly. Some even get bored of TSR and stop using it before giving up their MUN position. With the various Blocs now in place and an update sent by Toronto every day for EU, a lot of control seems to have passed around various users in the forum. The VoNC can therefore be seen as a further attempt to unfairly prise control away from T_C.

Boom!
Original post by rockrunride

This!
Reply 178
I'll be voting against this. I support T_C continuing as the SG of the MUN. I think he is a more than capable leader and made me feel very welcome when I first joined up. I can't accept that this issue has been brought up because of his leadership and activity - I believe that there are other motives behind this so called VoNC.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think T_C has had a difficult job and as such a VONC would be unfair. He has done his very best to try to stimulate debate here despite the decline, but the MUN is more than just one man and everyone must pull together to return the MUN to the vibrant debating chamber I recall a few years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending