The Student Room Group

ALEVELS for medicine.

Hi..

I want to study medicine at uni and I've just finished my GCSE's...

and I've chosen to study Chemistry,Biology and Maths for my Alevels. I'm really stuck on what to study for my fourth subject.
I thought about physics but I don't really enjoy it or even like it. I was going to choose sociology (as only) or even psychology..

So what subject do you guys recommend I study as my fourth alevel? Out of english lit,psychology,sociology or any other subject which would link to my other 3 alevels.
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by LucyJ12
Hi..

and I've chosen to study Chemistry,Biology and Maths for my Alevels. I'm really stuck on what to study for my fourth subject.
I thought about physics but I don't really enjoy it or even like it. I was going to choose sociology (as only) or even psychology..

So what subject do you guys recommend I study as my fourth alevel? Out of english lit,psychology,sociology or any other subject which would link to my other 3 alevels.
Thanks!

English lit is the most respected; psychology and sociology aren't respected as much. Do English.
it depends where you want to go but generally you only need chemistry and biology for medicine, you can chose whatever you like!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LucyJ12
Hi..

Thanks!

Given that you are doing Chem/Bio/Maths already, I don't think it would matter too much which one you do for your 4th.

Just go for a subject that you like, as long as it is a respected subject.
Reply 4
Original post by pyjamatrousers.
it depends where you want to go but generally you only need chemistry and physics for medicine, you can chose whatever you like!

I thought Biology was absolutely necessary?
Reply 5
Universities often like a contrasting 4th subject. I did bio chem maths as well as Latin because I was interested in it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by LucyJ12

Definitely do biology.
Possibly english literature, it would be useful to have some recent practice at essay writing before going into university.
Reply 8
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Given that you are doing Chem/Bio/Maths already, I don't think it would matter too much which one you do for your 4th.

Just go for a subject that you like, as long as it is a respected subject.

Okay , thanks ! :smile:
Original post by LucyJ12
Most universities want chemistry and then one other science. In all fairness nothing you learn in A-level biology will be terribly useful. If you think about it, anything you would learn about anatomy at university will be starting from scratch anyway.
Biology is necessary yes, but Chemistry is more so.. not sure why but it is...
biology isn't always relevant to medicine i.e. the stuff you learn about plants..
Original post by LucyJ12
Hi..

Thanks!

Medical schools generally just specify Chemistry and Biology and the other subjects are up to you!
The third and fourth subjects are for you to do what you want
Personally I did Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Psychology. I enjoyed maths and happened to be reasonable at it :') and I thought psychology would be interesting (which it was) :smile:
Reply 12
Biology and chemistry are absolutely necessary and then you can pretty much choose any other subject!

I did french and psychology

a friend in med school had done photography A-level in addition to her bio/chem

basically just use your last option for choosing something you like and are quite good at and are likely to get an A in!

(can always look at a few uni entry requirements for reassurance that whatever you choose is ok!)
I did RS, tis' was fun.
Reply 14
Do further maths, it will make normal maths look piss easy and it's also quite enjoyable. I'm sure FMaths will look better than other courses
Original post by Zenzic
Do further maths, it will make normal maths look piss easy and it's also quite enjoyable. I'm sure FMaths will look better than other courses

I think it's a bit awkward for medicine though, because some universities only view Maths and Further Maths as one subject.
I would do psychology! It's a fascinating subject and considering you're doing biology and chemistry, it'll give you a strong advantage when studying neurotransmitters, disorders and drugs. It's very easy to tie it with your other subjects, which is good for when you write your personal statement. My friend took biology, chemistry, maths and psychology and got all her offers so if any one tries to make out that it's not a respectable subject, complete and utter lie. :P You could even make a tie with psychiatry, which you'll study on a medical course. So if you like psychology, it might influence what area of medicine you want to go into!
Reply 17
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I think it's a bit awkward for medicine though, because some universities only view Maths and Further Maths as one subject.

It pretty much is one subject, but it demonstrates you can learn things to a high level. Would think it would be valued much higher than the other sciences (Excluding the main 4)
Original post by Zenzic
It pretty much is one subject, but it demonstrates you can learn things to a high level. Would think it would be valued much higher than the other sciences (Excluding the main 4)

Well, given that some medschools don't consider it a separate subject (which I think is unfair, but that's how it is), I fail to see how it could be argued as being "valued much higher"; if anything, it seems to be valued lower.
Reply 19
Original post by LucyJ12

Nope. Most Uni's require it, at least up to AS, but Chemistry is the main one you must continue until A2. Some Uni's offer Medicine (very few though) to those who are doing Chemistry + Maths and/or Physics. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest