Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What could be wrong with me and what should I do?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on

For several months now I've felt really quite ill. I have experienced nausea, fatigue, faintness/dizziness, headaches and a general feeling of being unwell (like having flu but without the sneezing and couching). It does fluctuate somewhat, but I never feel completely normal, and occasionally I have a really bad spell where I go shaky, sweaty and feel like I'm going to pass out. I also have several hard pea-sized nodules under the skin on my thigh/groin area (possibly enlarged lymph nodes?).

I consequently went to my GP a couple of months ago and explained my symptoms. He did a blood test which showed that I had a vitamin D deficiency, so he prescribed me vitamin D supplements, which I've been taking ever since. Unfortunately this has not improved my symptoms. Also he said that the lumps under the skin on my thigh were probably just insect bites (this really didn't give me much confidence that he knew what he was doing - as they are nothing like insect bites).

Anyway, I now don't know what I should do, should I book another appointment with my GP? Should I change GPs and get a second opinion? All I know is that I cannot continue living like this much longer.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For several months now I've felt really quite ill. I have experienced nausea, fatigue, faintness/dizziness, headaches and a general feeling of being unwell (like having flu but without the sneezing and couching). It does fluctuate somewhat, but I never feel completely normal, and occasionally I have a really bad spell where I go shaky, sweaty and feel like I'm going to pass out. I also have several hard pea-sized nodules under the skin on my thigh/groin area (possibly enlarged lymph nodes?).

I consequently went to my GP a couple of months ago and explained my symptoms. He did a blood test which showed that I had a vitamin D deficiency, so he prescribed me vitamin D supplements, which I've been taking ever since. Unfortunately this has not improved my symptoms. Also he said that the lumps under the skin on my thigh were probably just insect bites (this really didn't give me much confidence that he knew what he was doing - as they are nothing like insect bites).

Anyway, I now don't know what I should do, should I book another appointment with my GP? Should I change GPs and get a second opinion? All I know is that I cannot continue living like this much longer.
    Change your GP, my GP says **** like that aswell. OR search on google for cure of the symptoms, it really works. Try this: http://www.localhealth.com/article/leg-lump
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really simple answer for you. Go back to your GP.

I never understand the whole "get a second opinion" attitude when people haven't even been back to their GP to tell them the treatment hasn't worked. For all your doctor knows you've had a complete recovery and are living life to the full!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Keep going to your GP, beg them to be referred to hospital etc. You need to be persistent. I had a similar situaton and everyone turned me away saying that my treatment wasn't urgent etc, but infact it was and when they found out they dealt with me very quickly. Please keep persisting until some one listens.

(Original post by Egypt)
    Really simple answer for you. Go back to your GP.

I never understand the whole "get a second opinion" attitude when people haven't even been back to their GP to tell them the treatment hasn't worked. For all your doctor knows you've had a complete recovery and are living life to the full!
    I think I shall take your advice and go back to my GP. But just to say in my defense, you weren't at the appointment and therefore did not witness his quite dismissive attitude. Having researched the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, this alone doesn't actually explain all my symptoms. He didn't say that I should go back if I didn't see an improvement or suggest any other possible causes or further tests. His attitude was very much along the lines of 'here's your prescription, problem solved, goodbye.' I'm not the kind of person who goes to the GP every five minutes and makes a fuss every time they don't do what I want them to, in fact before I went about this, I hadn't been to the doctors for over 7 years.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Id go back to your GP for a second opinion or from another doctor if you really doubt this ones competency to be honest, i'd also [in the politest way posbbile] ignore aspiring dentists advice about googling it, itll just end up depressing you, you google you have something simple like a headache and itll come back telling you youve got cancer and ebola :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What's your diet like? I experienced exactly the same thing a few years ago and my gp said it's because I was underweight for my height and needed to eat more calories per day and a vider variety of food.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Id go back to your GP for a second opinion or from another doctor if you really doubt this ones competency to be honest, i'd also [in the politest way posbbile] ignore aspiring dentists advice about googling it, itll just end up depressing you, you google you have something simple like a headache and itll come back telling you youve got cancer and ebola :rolleyes:
    :lol: Very true. I googled about Lymph nodes once and was pretty much sure that I'd be booking a leg amputation for the next day.

OP
    Just thought I'd say, the Lymph nodes sound quite normal. It's normal to be able to feel them in the way that you described, especially for a smaller person. I too had that checked out. In fact I've had quite similar symptoms to what you've described, culminating in me finding myself in the emergency ward being treated for suspected meningitis at one point... I've become quite susceptible to horrible viruses.

Anyway I'm quite interested in what other people are saying on this thread. I wonder if I have a vitamin D deficiency? Maybe I'm too skinny as well... My doctor has told me I'm too skinny, though I do eat a healthy balanced diet and I do eat as much as I comfortably can. I'm not so bad as I was, but all I've managed to change after countless blood tests is taking 1000mg of vitamin C every day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Assuming there are other doctors in the practice, make an appointment with another of them - you don't need to explain why. Just go along and explain that you still feel awful and it's worrying you. They should really do blood tests. Good luck
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest booking another appointment with your GP, maybe with a different doctor and ask for a double appointment that way you can take the time to discuss all your symptoms without feeling rushed, this also gives the doctor more time to help you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I shall take your advice and go back to my GP. But just to say in my defense, you weren't at the appointment and therefore did not witness his quite dismissive attitude. Having researched the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, this alone doesn't actually explain all my symptoms. He didn't say that I should go back if I didn't see an improvement or suggest any other possible causes or further tests. His attitude was very much along the lines of 'here's your prescription, problem solved, goodbye.' I'm not the kind of person who goes to the GP every five minutes and makes a fuss every time they don't do what I want them to, in fact before I went about this, I hadn't been to the doctors for over 7 years.
    Don't worry, it wasn't meant as a dig at you. One of the tools GPs use in diagnosis and management is time. If people don't go back the GP will never know how the illness has evolved or if the treatment has worked. Hope all is well.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    He didn't say that I should go back if I didn't see an improvement or suggest any other possible causes or further tests.
    It doesn't mean you shouldn't go back.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.