Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Massive Dilemma! :O

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey people!

Having a massive stress about uni and where i want to live and everything.

I've been given two options out of the 5 places, and want to know what you guys think is overall the best place to live.

It's in Carlisle (Cumbria)

Choice 1: Denton Holme.

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/StudentLife...ntonHolme.aspx

No wifi, just a socket (is this ethernet yes?)
    Accommodates 9-12 people
    Definate Ensuite for me (only 2 out of the 9/12 rooms are ensuite) so i fear ill always be 'lending out' my toilet etc :P
    Very modern (still being built now, with construction work being throughout late 2012/spring 2013
    40 minutes from my campus!!!!!

Choice 2: Old Brewery.

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/StudentLife...weryHalls.aspx

Wifi with 20GB monthly allowance
    Shared bathrooms :/
    Only 6 people instead of 9-12. (less people to share with is a good thing, right? )
    Abit more basic than Denton.
    only 15 minutes from my campus (extra lie-in, wooooo )
    Onsite warden and closed circuit television security for peace of mind - good or bad thing? :P

If you could all give your opinions then i'd appreciate it so much!

Thankyou all!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is a big choice!

It doesn't really matter with wifi or ethernet but do you need a 20GB allowance because that's huge!

Ensuite is good but you have to clean it yourself / Shared bathrooms are cleaned!

Modern is good but will you have more fun in older ones?

No warden means people can really do what they want so while they'll be lots of parties going on you might want peace. Yet if you want to have your own party.. score! However what is the area like in the Old Brewery for them to maybe have a warden?

40 minutes from campus sucks but is it more peaceful and is it nearer to anything else?
    15 minutes from campus is amazinggg! Yet is it going to be busy and potentially noisy?

Hope that helps!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshmun)
    That is a big choice!

It doesn't really matter with wifi or ethernet but do you need a 20GB allowance because that's huge!

Ensuite is good but you have to clean it yourself / Shared bathrooms are cleaned!

Modern is good but will you have more fun in older ones?

No warden means people can really do what they want so while they'll be lots of parties going on you might want peace. Yet if you want to have your own party.. score! However what is the area like in the Old Brewery for them to maybe have a warden?

40 minutes from campus sucks but is it more peaceful and is it nearer to anything else?
    15 minutes from campus is amazinggg! Yet is it going to be busy and potentially noisy?

Hope that helps!
    Thankyou for your speedy reply!

does ethernet provide a significantly worse connection? cause denton holme (the modern one) will have construction work so the cables could get cut or something i dunno :/

modern/basic doesnt bother me tooooo much cause the thing what makes a good dorm is the people who you share with in my opinion

I'm not a massive party kinda guy, im all up for nights out and stuff, and like drinking games in a flat, but not actual parties sooo

My friend said the old brewery area is fine so im not too worried about safety really

and 15 minutes from campus is better cause i feel ill be more "in the loop" of uni life and stuff
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If construction work will still be ongoing next spring, when will you be moving in -- a year from now?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    If construction work will still be ongoing next spring, when will you be moving in -- a year from now?
    No, september 2012, but minor work, like extensions and stuff is still going on, so lots of noise!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClarkeFace)
    No, september 2012, but minor work, like extensions and stuff is still going on, so lots of noise!
    Ooh, that's quite a disadvantage ...
    Unless you will be spending most working hours at uni anyway?

From experience, I'd also say that living with a smaller number of people is better. I lived in a house of 4 this year, and it was great.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would rather live in the halls that were already built. You never know, building may be delayed, there may be inevitable teething problems which come with moving into new buildings, and topped off with the 40 minute journey to uni, I would choose the other one.

Also, there may be bitterness that you have one of the few ensuites if others wanted them too.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polly1101)
    I would rather live in the halls that were already built. You never know, building may be delayed, there may be inevitable teething problems which come with moving into new buildings, and topped off with the 40 minute journey to uni, I would choose the other one.

Also, there may be bitterness that you have one of the few ensuites if others wanted them too.
    Yeah i totally agree, my "ensuite privelidges" could inevitabely turn into a shared bathroom anyway

(Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Ooh, that's quite a disadvantage ...
    Unless you will be spending most working hours at uni anyway?

From experience, I'd also say that living with a smaller number of people is better. I lived in a house of 4 this year, and it was great.
    Well, i'm doing graphic design, so my work will be able to done anywhere really :P
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    The second one
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    The second one
    Thankyou for your input, do you have a reason behind it? or do you just generally prefer it?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey people!

Having a massive stress about uni and where i want to live and everything.

I've been given two options out of the 5 places, and want to know what you guys think is overall the best place to live.

It's in Carlisle (Cumbria)

Choice 1: Denton Holme.

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/StudentLife...ntonHolme.aspx

No wifi, just a socket (is this ethernet yes?)
    Accommodates 9-12 people
    Definate Ensuite for me (only 2 out of the 9/12 rooms are ensuite) so i fear ill always be 'lending out' my toilet etc :P
    Very modern (still being built now, with construction work being throughout late 2012/spring 2013
    40 minutes from my campus!!!!!

Choice 2: Old Brewery.

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/StudentLife...weryHalls.aspx

Wifi with 20GB monthly allowance
    Shared bathrooms :/
    Only 6 people instead of 9-12. (less people to share with is a good thing, right? )
    Abit more basic than Denton.
    only 15 minutes from my campus (extra lie-in, wooooo )
    Onsite warden and closed circuit television security for peace of mind - good or bad thing? :P

If you could all give your opinions then i'd appreciate it so much!

Thankyou all!
    Brewery...maybe the old hops are still in the bricks and you can get drunk cheaper/faster as your already absorbing some before you pre-load...
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for your input, do you have a reason behind it? or do you just generally prefer it?
    noise = bad

distance = bad

en suite = not worth it

just my opinion
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for your speedy reply!

does ethernet provide a significantly worse connection? cause denton holme (the modern one) will have construction work so the cables could get cut or something i dunno :/

modern/basic doesnt bother me tooooo much cause the thing what makes a good dorm is the people who you share with in my opinion

I'm not a massive party kinda guy, im all up for nights out and stuff, and like drinking games in a flat, but not actual parties sooo

My friend said the old brewery area is fine so im not too worried about safety really

and 15 minutes from campus is better cause i feel ill be more "in the loop" of uni life and stuff
    Trust me wifi is always the worst connection because there's nothing better than being connect to the net direct through a cable rather than it being sent via wireless. Essentially when you're trying to stream stuff etc it is often slower over a wifi connection too!
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    The second one - because noise from building works is definitely not what you want when you have an essay deadline / it's exam season / you're hungover. And, as other have said, there will always be minor issues that crop up / building work won't be finished in time etc. I have seen a 2 week building job go on for 14 months before (no kidding).

Shared bathrooms are fine in my experience - and you will get more than one between all six of you.

Is the 15/40 minutes by bus / walking / cycling / helicopter? Don't judge it by distance alone if you're thinking of using public transport, because it can often be very misleading.

To some extent I prefer larger flats - I lived in a flat of 8 in first year, but whilst backpacking I always preferred larger dorms because then there were more people to talk to.

CCTV is only any use if someone is actually watching & paying attention to it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to uni in Carlisle but it's my hometown so thought I'd give a different perspective.

In terms of location Denton Holme has lots of local facilties like a co op, takeaways and things close by but no real supermarket. It is also in a more residential area not just student place.

The old brewery currently has a sainsburys being built next door to it, it should easily be open by september. I think there is a library just 5 mins from there too? Correct me if I'm wrong it might have moved but there used to be one down a little street across the road from there. Old Brewery is right next to bitts park (awesome in the summer/when it's warm)

Shared bathrooms aren't too bad as long as you get nice flatmates/set some rules. Is there a major difference in price?

Edit: 15 mins walk to campus? If you're on brampton road that's at a quick pace! I'd say it's more 20-25
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'll be staying in denton holme , I'm studying primary teaching
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the art students and graphic designers stayed in the old brewery but denton holme is a lot more modern and up to date. Denton holme is a short bus journey up to the Uni anyways. In all honesty perhaps go for the old brewery? It's a short walk through the park to get to the campus and yes it's basic but I had friends there and spent time there and it was enjoyable has a real energy about it. As for doing your work make a conscious effort to spend as much time in the studio as possible (9-4 kind of thing maybe). You'll really appreciate it in the end.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 21, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.