The Student Room Group

Lazy Jobseekers to lose benefits for three years.

http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/07/03/lazy-jobseekers-may-lose-benefits-for-three-years/

This will be open to abuse.

I already know of one person who had his benefits stopped (although not for three years but for one month) because he was not doing enough to look for work. The man in question did not fail to attend any of his appointments, but believed that it was pointless looking for jobs that were not there, and failed to fill-in his job application tracker with jobs he applied for.

Yesterday my right-wing A4E advisor sternly warned me that the rate at which I was applying for jobs has decreased over the months and said I must try harder or face sanctions. I spend 3 days per week at that place looking for jobs and applying for them. And talking about politics is off the cards.

In my view, right wing Tories seem to be kicking the wrong people. Unemployed people are already having a tough time, and these Tories would prefer to see them shackled to a rock and whipped if they don't do as they are told.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
standard tories living in a fantasy world filled with excess jobs
Original post by Martyn*
I already know of one person who had his benefits stopped (although not for three years but for one month) because he was not doing enough to look for work. The man in question did not fail to attend any of his appointments, but believed that it was pointless looking for jobs that were not there, and failed to fill-in his job application tracker with jobs he applied for.

So he did in fact refuse to look for work?

I don't get it. I just graduated and am treating finding what to do next as a full time job in itself, while being paid nothing by the taxpayer.
You only spend three days per week looking for a job? What are you doing for the other four days on the taxpayers' dime?
Reply 4
Original post by Algorithm69
You only spend three days per week looking for a job? What are you doing for the other four days on the taxpayers' dime?

I spend three days a week at A4E looking for work. That's actually more than what the JSA guidelines stipulate, and more than what a lot of people do who are not on the work programme. The other four days I engage in worthwhile activity improving my health (so there is little or no cost to the NHS) and studying to increase my knowledge about subjects I like. Beyond that, short of doing voluntary work or becoming a prostitute (both of which are difficult to do in a town with an ageing population), I happen to take my dog for walks and take trips into town to buy food.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Martyn*
http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/07/03/lazy-jobseekers-may-lose-benefits-for-three-years/

This will be open to abuse.

Yesterday my right-wing A4E advisor sternly warned me that the rate at which I was applying for jobs has decreased over the months and said I must try harder or face sanctions. I spend 3 days per week at that place looking for jobs and applying for them. And talking about politics is off the cards.

In my view, right wing Tories seem to be kicking the wrong people. Unemployed people are already having a tough time, and these Tories would prefer to see them shackled to a rock and whipped if they don't do as they are told.

I agree with you about the fact that it would make the job seekers life harder than it already is and if the government are going to cut job seekers benefits then it shouldn't be for so long. However, I think that if the government cut the job seekers benefits for a few months then it would encourage them to try a bit harder to find a job because a lot of people on these benefits take advantage of them and don't even try to find a job. I also agree with you that there are not much jobs available now but I can tell you why, the reason there are not many jobs now and the foreign people are taking them all is because British people are being too picky about the jobs they are offered either because they don't pay a high salary or because they are seen as "Dirty Jobs" such as a dustman or working behind a fast food counter. I think that if a job gets you some money so you are able to pay your collage fees, bill ect then it is worth taking no matter what it is.
Reply 6
I think that if you cannot find a job after a certain amount of time (say 6 months but I have idea how long it takes to find jobs so don't attack me for that) then the government sohuld make you do unpleasant work like litter picking and sweeping roads for a certain amount of time per week. You would not get paid for this as you have benifits comming in and it would act as a deternt to staying on benifits so you are more liekly to go looks for better jobs, while doing something moderately usefull at the same time. Naturally you should have plenty of spare time to look for jobs and live a bit as well.
Reply 7
The patronising attitudes in this thread are astounding. "You're ONLY looking for work three days of the week? How do you think the poor taxpayer feels that you're HAVING A LIFE whilst using their money, you naughty person?". :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by james22
I think that if you cannot find a job after a certain amount of time (say 6 months but I have idea how long it takes to find jobs so don't attack me for that) then the government sohuld make you do unpleasant work like litter picking and sweeping roads for a certain amount of time per week. You would not get paid for this as you have benifits comming in and it would act as a deternt to staying on benifits so you are more liekly to go looks for better jobs, while doing something moderately usefull at the same time. Naturally you should have plenty of spare time to look for jobs and live a bit as well.

People can't help not being able to find a job when there are no jobs going, why should they have to do "unpleasant" work because the government's actions have caused a lack of jobs?

Some people have suggested that people on benefits do these unpleasant jobs, 9-5 six days a week and not get any extra money - just for their benefits. If we say that people on JSA get £60 a week, I think that's the equivalent of them earning £1.25 an hour - on what planet is that ethical?
Reply 9
Finally a step in the right direction.
Reply 10
Original post by madders94
People can't help not being able to find a job when there are no jobs going, why should they have to do "unpleasant" work because the government's actions have caused a lack of jobs?

Some people have suggested that people on benefits do these unpleasant jobs, 9-5 six days a week and not get any extra money - just for their benefits. If we say that people on JSA get £60 a week, I think that's the equivalent of them earning £1.25 an hour - on what planet is that ethical?

JSA is not there for you to find your perfect job.
Reply 11
If they're earning £60 a week then they should HAVE to do some work imo, even if it's only 8-10 hours a week or something.
Original post by Herr
JSA is not there for you to find your perfect job.

I never said it was. Most people have now realized that the chances of them getting their perfect job straight away (or at all) are quite slim and are happy just to get any work, but some friends currently going through the job-hunting process are finding out just how hard it is. JSA is there to help people get ANY job, which at the moment is difficult enough in itself.

Anyway, my point wasn't about the jobs they're finding at the end, it was about the work people are suggesting they should do whilst they're on the benefits.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by For The Love Of Giraffe
That sounds heavenly - wish I could get paid to read or walk about...
Even though three days is more than required, do you not feel bad not contributing to society or finding a way to, while receiving money for those four days of leisure as well? I know that if I didn't have a job and wasn't studying, I'd see benefits as a priviledge and would search for a job every day - only when I'm earning money myself would I take time out to have breaks for fun.

£55 a week is hardly heavenly.
They should give people a reduced rate rather than stopping them. This will just push people to crime.
Reply 15
Original post by For The Love Of Giraffe
It's still more money than I get for free, which is nothing. Although I have nothing against jobseekers getting that money - just that if they get ANY free money, they should do as much as they can to escape needing it.

I'm currently in full-time edcation, but when I start looking for a job, I wouldn't spend more than 50% of my time not looking for a job.

And you will have less free time but more money, and when you're older you will have more free time and much more money. While they will still have no money and loads of free time.

You should be feeling sorry for people who either can't get a job or is happy on £55 a week, not angry and upset.
Reply 16
Martyn are you one of the people who actually wants a job? I only ask because i've never known anyone to be genuinely trying for like 5 years... If I didn't run my own business I could get a job within 2 weeks. It wouldn't be the best, but it wouldn't be the worst either.
To the PP who was shocked to hear someone searching for a job ONLY three days a week - have you actually tried looking for a job yourself while on dole? I was out of work for almost 6 months after finishing college, I looked for and applied for as many jobs as possible. It gets SERIOUSLY demoralising and ends up with the person feeling like total crap and so low.

That was about 7 years ago now and I've worked non stop since then, I couldn't go back to searching for a job everyday and signing on fortnightly and I hope I never have to.

Most people in this country do want to work thankfully but there will always be the lazy bastards who just want to sit on their arse all day.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by DynamicSyngery
So he did in fact refuse to look for work?

I don't get it. I just graduated and am treating finding what to do next as a full time job in itself, while being paid nothing by the taxpayer.

Give it a few months. It took me three months to even get unpaid internships, another two to get a paid job. By end, I would have been quite glad to never see another app,Icarian form ever again. E whole process of constant rejection is soul destroying and I don't know how peop,e who are long term unemployed cope.
Its a good idea!! Not only do these people get JSA, they get housing benefit and council tax benefit!! They also get free dental care and free prescriptions.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Latest

Trending

Trending