The Student Room Group

should i choose philosophy for my Alevels ?

Basically guys , idont know what to choose for my Alevels ; im planning to study medicine in university and i have picked biology , chemistry , maths and history. At the sixth form im planning to go to , we had a taster day for the subjects and currently im thinking of getting rid of history and doing philosophy. Do you guys think its a good idea or not ? Would the universities look at it in the same way as history since history is respected too ?

thanks xx
Reply 1
If you are good at writing essays and thinking quickly then it can be really fun.
Reply 2
In terms of 'respectability' for something like Medicine, its probably on par with history. Both show you have some breadth to your abilities.

From my experience it was far more difficult, but this is different for everyone.
Reply 3
I was told that philosophy was one of the other subjects that is half-valued for medicine (out of the other arts), they would definitely look at it in the same way as history.
Reply 4
thank youu guyss (: x
Reply 5
which one would you prefer more tho ,history or philosophy ?
Reply 6
For your situation, I really dont think it matters.

I'm assuming you'll be wanting to drop history/philosophy after AS to focus on Chem/Bio/Maths so pick whichever looks more interesting to you. Look at what topics you'll be covering, if you really arent sure take both and drop one at the end of the 'grace period'.

Neither subject is going to have any real direct relevance to Medicine, but both will make admissions tutors go "wow, not only can this person excel in the sciences, she can also write coherently/analytically and has an interest in the arts. This looks like a well-rounded candidate." Or that whats meant to happen haha!

In case you were wondering, other arts subjects that will produce a similar effect are English Literature and Economics. English Language and GovPol are good subjects and are still an option, but are looked upon slightly less favourably.

Hope this helps!
Reply 7
I would choose philosophy, i myself want to do philosophy as i found it intersting and loved the taster session straightaway. You need to pace yourself as maths and sciences will take alot of your time so go with philosophy it will broaden not only your writing style but also your way of thinking. It will require much less of a workload and will be your 'easy' subject.

Go with philosophy, I recommend it.
Reply 8
Original post by 123maz
It will require much less of a workload and will be your 'easy' subject.

Philosophy is not easy, by any stretch of the imagination. Neither is History, or English Lit, or Economics. They're respectable subjects for a reason.

Tbh OP, if you are aspiring to do medicine, I'm presuming you have a talent for the sciences. Therefore you might find your arts subject your hardest!
Reply 9
Philosophy is by far the most enjoyable subject I have studied, but I know that most of my classmates did not share this feeling.
It very much depends on your own personal feelings towards the subject - if you are choosing it because it will benefit other things you wish to persue, then I do not recommend choosing it. If, however, you genuinely find the topics interesting then I believe it is highly possible to succeed.
Hi there, I'm reaching the end of my AS year and I am also hoping to study medicine at university.
I took Philosophy and Ethics as my last A level choice and I have to say it has been my favourite of the lot, and has actually been really helpful in terms of medical ethics etc.
Reply 11
i think you should go with philosophy, i am doing it myself and it sounds really interesting
Original post by Nicola Wafaa
Basically guys , idont know what to choose for my Alevels ; im planning to study medicine in university and i have picked biology , chemistry , maths and history. At the sixth form im planning to go to , we had a taster day for the subjects and currently im thinking of getting rid of history and doing philosophy. Do you guys think its a good idea or not ? Would the universities look at it in the same way as history since history is respected too ?

thanks xx

It's a good time waste :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending