The Student Room Group

Students who fail GCSE Eng/Maths to be forced to contue it till 18.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cl_steele
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18676638

Thoughts and views on this, a good move to help boost literacy and numeracy levels in the UK or just an added burden for some students?

Another populist measure which contradicts Conservative policy. *sigh*
Nah...

Shoot them.
Reply 42
Original post by inspiron1
I don't think grasping Maths and English skills needed for the world of work is a burden. If they can't achieve a C, then they are below average and need further assistance.

Maths and English skills were not always needed for work.

There has been a systematic economic failure to provide appropriate levels of work in the correct quantities. This is a governmental failure as other similar economies to ours are able to offer a better range of jobs throughout the spectrum of abilities.

It is simply a pathetic attempt to label and tar the less mentally able as failures and shift the blame for our failed economy onto these individuals. Our economy consumes products that these people are able to have a meaningful input into the production of, the problem is that it's all made abroad. That is the real scandal, not berating people for not having the intelligence to be an investment banker.
Reply 43
Surely the goverment should focus on changing teaching style/getting them extra help before this age?
Maybe it will provide incentive for people who dislike these subjects, like when your teachers wouldnt let you leave till the whole class had done the work. Pass this, or forever remain!

In all seriousness though they need to fix the problem at the source, stop kids turning up to secondary school with a reading age of 7, then when they turn up with a reading age of 10 or below stop them taking other subjects and teach them to read. Because you can't take history if you cant read properly, or do RM if you cant measure or do angles.
Reply 45
What about the attitude of those who fail maths and english? Surely you'd think forcing them to do another two years may have backfire effects, because they'd be more likely to skive classes. There are also other things like those who are forced to resit GCSEs and those who want to. People who are forced may disrupt the learning of those who genuinely want to.
Reply 46
Original post by prog2djent
Completely agree, they'll be starting life, firstly by going on the dole and getting some slag pregnant multiple times ......... so, starting lots of lives really :h:

Don't be such a snob.

The are millions of people who are doing just fine in life without GSCE's (or O levels) in maths and english. I know dozens of people like that.
Reply 47
Original post by Howard
Don't be such a snob.

The are millions of people who are doing just fine in life without GSCE's (or O levels) in maths and english. I know dozens of people like that.

I joke.

Rus
I don't get this.

If you can't grasp elementary spelling, punctuation, arithmetic and multiplication by the age of 16, you're not worth having tax money spent on you.
Original post by Lunch_Box
I am American-born.

We understood you anyway, we have a load of US TV programmes over here and Math has come up many times in things I watch like Family Guy and The Simpsons. I guess I've become so accquaintanced with American and British spelling that I can interchange between the two a lot :smile: also some of the British/American words like we say 'put your rubbish in the bin', you say 'can you put your rubbish in the trash'. Though saying that I am seeing a lot of British people saying 'Mom' lately on Facebook
Original post by cl_steele
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18676638

Thoughts and views on this, a good move to help boost literacy and numeracy levels in the UK or just an added burden for some students?

Although I can see why people will be against this because they may find maths/english too hard and maybe too boring as a subject therefore don't want to carry it on when they leave secondary school, I think it's a good thing that this may happen. I personally retook my GCSE maths at college in a year and ended up getting my C in maths, I went up 2 grades from what I previously had before. I don't think people realise how important english and especially maths is in life and also trying to get a job too- it's essential. Like someone said to me once 'you have to grin and bear it'.

Or at least instead of GCSE maths and english do Key Skills?!
(edited 11 years ago)
While I think it's important that some are given the opportunity to resit their GCSEs as they would benefit from it; surely their will be at least equally as many who would not get anything out of it and would be better off being supported with Apprenticeships etc.
Well, I'm someone whose always one or two marks of a C, so the idea would be to retake anyway, wouldnt it?
Reply 53
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I think education should be entirely optional, so I am against this.

Stop trying to be controversial. What 5 year old would volunteer to go to school?

What a ****ing ridiculous thing to say.
Original post by Lord-Voldemort
But what do they mean by fail? As in anything below a C or anything below or an E or F or whatever it is?

Edit: The pass mark is lower than a C, my bad.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by NR09
Stop trying to be controversial. What 5 year old would volunteer to go to school?

What a ****ing ridiculous thing to say.

One that appreciates the investment value of education and wishes to pursue it?
Reply 56
Original post by Converse Rocker
Below a C, since a C is the pass mark for GCSE.

:confused: No it's not.
A*-G is a pass, just C is seen as a good pass
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Boo_x

Since when can you get a 'G' at GCSE? i thought it went A, B, C, D, E and U with E being the lowest pass?
Original post by Boo_x

Really? My bad, I'll edit that other post then. I must have assumed that it was a C based on the fact it's effectively treated as the pass mark.

To echo the post above, I didn't think there was a G grade.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
From what I have been told A* to D is a pass, A* to C is what is usually recognized as a pass however.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending