The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJG21
Cardiff Uni say you need AAA at A-Level in Two Of Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics for optometry so yes. I'm not sure about other unis.

so really i only need bio, chem and could i then do english lit as the thrid full A level
Original post by sapphiregold
so really i only need bio, chem and could i then do english lit as the thrid full A level

Yeah, as long as you have chemistry (and in some cases, biology) you'll be fine to do medicine :smile:
Original post by usycool1
Yeah, as long as you have chemistry (and in some cases, biology) you'll be fine to do medicine :smile:

than you for your help
i've been so stressed for the past couple of months
thank you again
Original post by Re-re
what is chemistry like at a level hard ?

There are loads of threads which have been asking the same question recently. You may like to have a look at those :smile:

I'd say it is a hard subject but if you enjoy it, you'll do fine :smile:
Original post by diggy
predicted an A

Yea so your suitable 4 geog (that sounds a bit daft but don't know how to word it).
All depends if u enjoy it enough to take it, like all A levels u need to be interested & want to do a lot more work outside the lesson & if u don't like it or feel like I can't stick at it don't take it in the first place!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi!
I just finished year 11 and i'm thinking of what a levels to take next school year. I want to go to university and take a course in the field of business or economics. Currently, I'm thinking to take:

Maths
Biology
English lit.

I'm confused if i would choose RS or Business for a level.

What subject would be better for me to take???

Thank you!

Definitely Business as it will show you have both an understanding and interest in it. Also, many Business degrees state either that you must have done Business's Studies at A Level or that it is 'preferred'. In short though, almost everyone who applies will have Business Studies so you'd be inviting yourself in for a fall by not having it.

Anyone think that:

Maths
Chemistry
History
Politics

would be good for PPE?
I want to do medicine and i have chosen maths geog chem and bio

Original post by bluelezah
Hi!
I just finished year 11 and i'm thinking of what a levels to take next school year. I want to go to university and take a course in the field of business or economics. Currently, I'm thinking to take:

Maths
Biology
English lit.

I'm confused if i would choose RS or Business for a level.

What subject would be better for me to take???

Thank you!

RS seems to be liked by universities, and would go well with English Lit as it'll show your essay and analysis skills.
I don't think universities require Business at A-level for a degree, and it is considered a slightly weaker subject. However, your other three are really strong choices, so having Business wouldn't weaken your application. If you've not taken Business at GCSE, it may be good to take it as it could sway your decision as to whether to take Economics or Business for your degree, or both!
Overall though, it's best to go by which you think you'll enjoy more, and think you'll do better in. Either one would be suitable as your fourth choice, and both fit in well with your other choices :smile:

Original post by benpearson1
Anyone think that:

Maths
Chemistry
History
Politics

would be good for PPE?

I think so yes; you have a good range of subjects there. Politics and History compliment each other really well and will show that you can write good essays and are able to analyse well. They leave doors open incase you do change your mind too :smile:
Hi I'm going to take:

Maths
History
Economics

But I don't know what other subject I should take. It is either Physics or Further Maths.

I want to take either Computer Science or Economics in university so which one is the best? Please also bear in mind that the Physics department in the school I'm going to is reputed to be the worst in the school with the Maths department being the 2nd best and the History Department being 1st.
Original post by uannaka1996
Hi I'm going to take:

Maths
History
Economics

But I don't know what other subject I should take. It is either Physics or Further Maths.

I want to take either Computer Science or Economics in university so which one is the best? Please also bear in mind that the Physics department in the school I'm going to is reputed to be the worst in the school with the Maths department being the 2nd best and the History Department being 1st.

I got this about computer science from here:

Our standard offer is A*AA, with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. Maths is therefore essential to us. Computing is a mathematical subject, especially in the way we approach it at Oxford. So you will need to have developed your ability in mathematical thinking. We think doing both Maths and Further Maths to A2 is the best way of doing this, but we recognise that some schools are unable to offer this combination. So whilst double Maths is a good combination of A levels for us, we do consider applications from people with a single Maths A level, with or without Further Maths to AS level. But if you can do it, it will help.

We also suggest a science subject such as Physics, but it's not essential. Our courses start from first principles so we're not looking for any specific knowledge in Computing (although we are looking for a genuine interest in the subject.) Some students come to us with Computing A Level; others don't. ICT isn't very relevant to us.

So the above seems to suggest that for computer science, it is best to do Further Maths :smile:

For economics, I think both options should be fine :smile: So if you decide to do economics, go for the one that you think you'll enjoy the most.
Original post by benpearson1
Anyone think that:

Maths
Chemistry
History
Politics

would be good for PPE?

Yes, defintely. I take history and politics which both complement each other. I would assume chemistry and maths also complment each other :smile:
how do maths and economics coincide anyone?
I'm really really stuck on where to go to college and what to do there, I've just left school (year 11) and I'm so worried now.

I have been accepted into:
Tonbridge Girls Grammar School (IB)
Tonbridge Wells Girls Grammar School (A Levels)
Weald of Kent Grammar School (A Levels)
Bexhill College (A Levels)
Eastbourne Park College (A Levels)
Lewes Sixth Form (A Levels)

Is it worth me travelling around an hour and a half every morning and evening, having to wake up before/around 6am and getting home around 6pm to go to a grammar sixth form to do the IB, or being able to go to a local college and study selected A-Levels of my choice?

I am also struggling with my option choices for A-level, which I seem to be leaning towards, and I am worrying about the ones I have made and thinking of changing:

I have currently chosen: History Modern, English Literature, Spanish and Psychology.
However, I am not sure on both the History and the Psychology.

Would History and English be too much essay writing as they are both very essay based. Would it benefit me to take Geography or History more?

I'm not too keen on psychology after my taster, I am thinking of sociology or philosophy, which would you recommend? Which do universities favour more? What does psychology actually entail?

I know Spanish is very useful and will look good, but is the end exam very hard? Obviously it will be hard, but is it extremely hard?

Thankyou very much for reading this and I look forward to seeing a reply.
Original post by sophieowl96
I'm really really stuck on where to go to college and what to do there, I've just left school (year 11) and I'm so worried now.

I have been accepted into:
Tonbridge Girls Grammar School (IB)
Tonbridge Wells Girls Grammar School (A Levels)
Weald of Kent Grammar School (A Levels)
Bexhill College (A Levels)
Eastbourne Park College (A Levels)
Lewes Sixth Form (A Levels)

Is it worth me travelling around an hour and a half every morning and evening, having to wake up before/around 6am and getting home around 6pm to go to a grammar sixth form to do the IB, or being able to go to a local college and study selected A-Levels of my choice?

I am also struggling with my option choices for A-level, which I seem to be leaning towards, and I am worrying about the ones I have made and thinking of changing:

I have currently chosen: History Modern, English Literature, Spanish and Psychology.

Would History and English be too much essay writing as they are both very essay based. Would it benefit me to take Geography or History more?

I'm not too keen on psychology after my taster, I am thinking of sociology or philosophy, which would you recommend? Which do universities favour more? What does psychology actually entail?

I know Spanish is very useful and will look good, but is the end exam very hard? Obviously it will be hard, but is it extremely hard?

I've just done AS Spanish with OCR, it's my hardest subject geog, art & textiles are my others so.. It's bit exceptionally hard I got a b at gcse & yes it's a step up but u learn a lot more like in my class there is 7 of us so it's rally ally good! I love it despite all the grammar & subjunctive etc. the oral is nice aslong as u learn your chosen topic well & u can get a good mark the other part is a role play which isn't bad 'cos u practise loads. The exam with OCR it's 7 Q, task 1,2,3 are listening, 4 writing a small translation English to Spanish, 5 & 6 = reading & 7 is writing & carries 50 marks.
Our school is changing to Aqa after we did a paper and found it loads easier so.. If u have any other Q feel free to ask me :smile: sorry for the lung winded answer

Original post by LauraEmilyT
I've just done AS Spanish with OCR, it's my hardest subject geog, art & textiles are my others so.. It's bit exceptionally hard I got a b at gcse & yes it's a step up but u learn a lot more like in my class there is 7 of us so it's rally ally good! I love it despite all the grammar & subjunctive etc. the oral is nice aslong as u learn your chosen topic well & u can get a good mark the other part is a role play which isn't bad 'cos u practise loads. The exam with OCR it's 7 Q, task 1,2,3 are listening, 4 writing a small translation English to Spanish, 5 & 6 = reading & 7 is writing & carries 50 marks.
Our school is changing to Aqa after we did a paper and found it loads easier so.. If u have any other Q feel free to ask me :smile: sorry for the lung winded answer

* it's NOT exceptionally hard sorry bad wording in my other bit

Thankyou very much! Would you say it's worth studying Spanish as languages will look good to Universities?
Original post by sophieowl96

It's up to what you feel as to whether you want to do the IB more than A-levels. Personally, I'd go for the A-levels as that 1.5 hours travelling there and back will become pretty valuable time once you get nearer to exams, whether that's to give yourself a break or to do revision.
I don't think History and English Lit will be too much essay writing; lots of people take 2 or more essay subjects and cope fine, and still manage a good balance of subjects. The two compliment each other well due to the nature of the subjects :smile:
Psychology I think depends on the exam board and your school/college as to what modules you cover, but my friends that took it covered things like memory, dreams and sleep, gender etc. Philosophy seems to be more favoured by universities, according to this, but with your other choices taking Sociology wouldn't negatively impact upon your application. Take whichever you will enjoy more and get the most out of.
Spanish will be really useful, and it's enjoyable to study! The topics are interesting and relevant which makes it a bit easier as you're more likely to want to learn about the topics. The end exams aren't that bad; by the time you get to them your language skills will have improved loads and you'll be able to understand a lot. I've just finished A-level French, and I prefered the A-level exams to GCSE; the topics were better, the essays are interesting and you can do the listening at your own pace. The oral exams aren't too bad either; yes you don't know what you'll be asked, but by the time you do it you should be confident enough in the language to be able to answer most things on the topics :biggrin:
Thankyou so much for that, it has really helped me! This may sound a bit dim, but I need to make sure I have them correct, what is the difference between psychology, sociology and philosophy? :smile:

Latest