The Student Room Group

Americans in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Redheaded_Dancer
If you want to go and study in the UK then I say you go for it! Most people in university are generally used to people of other nationalities. You'll probably get some ignorant people rolling their eyes and making unfair judgements purely because you're an American but most, like me, are fascinated by America like you're interested in the UK.

The only people who will make fun of you for staying true to where you came from are just stupid, and you don't want to be associated with them anyways. I would look up the area you hope to study though, so you know where you're going and what's acceptable and what's not and that kinda stuff. Plus it's just generally a good idea to know the history so you don't accidentally put your foot in it!

A lot of people generally seem to think that you Americans are ignorant which is annoying as hell, I'm English but it amuses me the way some people seem to think that the sweeping generalisation that Americans are fat and stupid must be true because of what they've seen on the telly...

Can I ask how British people are received in America? I'm not hoping to study there, but I am interested in moving there after I've graduated with my nursing degree and find a job there. Is it hard to get citizenship? What does it involve?

Getting green card requires a company to sponsor you in the US which is rare unless you hold a post-grad qualification. The employer needs to file for labour certification stating that there is no US citizen qualified enough to take on the role. The process it quite costly too. Few thousand dollars.

I've done extensive research and that's pretty much the only way (through employment). Only other way is to join a UK company that has offices in the US and then get transferred but you have to be at management level for the hiring manager to have a strong case for you.

I wanted to move to the US too but immigration is quite tough. I guess I'll have to complete my MBA and then see if I can join a MNC.

UK is pretty sh*t now. It's in the gutter along with Spain, Italy and Greece. Look at what they're doing to grads. Half of them are filling shelves in supermarkets. I'm not saying the US is any better but it's a bigger economy and has much more opportunities than the UK.

Thank you Cameron and Clegg for ruining this country. I'm sure JP Morgan is waiting to give you non-directorship roles when you leave office in 2015. The way they raised tuition fees to £9,000 was just EPIC and the banking scandals (inter-bank interest charges) were just the icing on the cake.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by llessur123
I still think you should visit the UK, it's a pretty good place and most people are very friendly. I just thought I'd give advice on studying and staying in NI. You should do some research and visit the areas that appeal to you, then decide if you want to stay and study.

OK. Thanks. I appreciate your honesty and I didn't have a problem with anything you wrote. My hubby and I will most definitely consider all the pros and cons before make a concrete decision on where we go to study and explore! :smile:
Original post by gm15
US immigration law....boo hiss
Sorry, its just that there's one tiny little bit that means I can't claim US citizenship instantly through my dad (born in detroit). Not even a reduction in the naturalization period.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U20i

Yeah I agree US immigration has issues, especially after 9/11.

My hubby is from Ecuador and got his green card through marrying me. My Dad had a thorough "heart to heart talk" with him to make sure he wasn't marrying me for the card. We love each other very much and I am thankful to my Dad for sponsoring him.

Really? Your Dad was born in Detroit and you can't claim US citizenship by having an American Dad? That's a lot stricter than it used to be!!! Where were you born if you don't mind my asking?
If you're nice to people, you'll be fine. In my experience people in Scotland are friendlier than in England. Just don't bad-mouth anyone and you'll be fine. In my opinion, people are more or less the same everywhere.

P.S. I think London in general isn't the nicest of cities to anyone in particular, but again, if you're polite then people will hopefully express the same manners to you.
Original post by DancerPerson
If you're nice to people, you'll be fine. In my experience people in Scotland are friendlier than in England. Just don't bad-mouth anyone and you'll be fine. In my opinion, people are more or less the same everywhere.

P.S. I think London in general isn't the nicest of cities to anyone in particular, but again, if you're polite then people will hopefully express the same manners to you.

That's funny because I experienced the exact opposite in Scottland. I supposed it really is the luck of the draw, which kind of people you happen to come into contact with that time.
Original post by Redheaded_Dancer

Can I ask how British people are received in America? I'm not hoping to study there, but I am interested in moving there after I've graduated with my nursing degree and find a job there. Is it hard to get citizenship? What does it involve?

Like going to any new place, I think it depends on the people. I've spent a bit of time in the states, working at summer camps and studying abroad. Generally people were friendly and accepting and for the most part the fact that I'm British isn't much of a factor. However, when I was studying there were some people that found knowing someone British was a bit of a novelty - more of a 'hey, you're from the UK, that's so cool', rather than them wanting to be friends.

To the OP - please don't let what people say on forums put you off completely. Not all of us think that way. I'm willing to give most people a chance. My uni/course is quite international, and as long as they're willing to integrate with the British there really hasn't been any issues. None of the people (at least those that have tried to integrate with life in the UK) have been rejected for their nationality. Some of my best/closest friends have been international.

Growing up I lived round the corner from and was very close to an American family. They celebrated various American holidays and stuck to their religion (Mormonism) and I learnt a little about it but it was a case of sharing what/when it was appropriate.

You may encounter several people who talk about America/Americans as a whole (sometimes negatively) - but when it comes to interacting with individuals I think it's more of a personality thing.
Reply 106
Original post by Christianlady
Yeah I agree US immigration has issues, especially after 9/11.

My hubby is from Ecuador and got his green card through marrying me. My Dad had a thorough "heart to heart talk" with him to make sure he wasn't marrying me for the card. We love each other very much and I am thankful to my Dad for sponsoring him.

Really? Your Dad was born in Detroit and you can't claim US citizenship by having an American Dad? That's a lot stricter than it used to be!!! Where were you born if you don't mind my asking?

I may have read it wring but I think the parent has to have built up x amount of time resident in the US after 14 and my dad has none. I hope I didn't just make that up or i've spent years pointlessly grumbling (not all the time).

Although to be fair it doesn't look great on paper...his parents were migrants and he moved to england when he was tiny.

I might look at that link and see if I can march up to the embassy and yell "passport now!"

Ps Slough, england

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gm15
I may have read it wring but I think the parent has to have built up x amount of time resident in the US after 14 and my dad has none. I hope I didn't just make that up or i've spent years pointlessly grumbling (not all the time).

Although to be fair it doesn't look great on paper...his parents were migrants and he moved to england when he was tiny.

I might look at that link and see if I can march up to the embassy and yell "passport now!"

Lol I wouldn't recommend yelling "passport now!" to workers at an American embassy :smile:

I don't know about your case... have you thought about Canada? Canada is cool too.
Original post by redwood_phoenix
Like going to any new place, I think it depends on the people. I've spent a bit of time in the states, working at summer camps and studying abroad. Generally people were friendly and accepting and for the most part the fact that I'm British isn't much of a factor. However, when I was studying there were some people that found knowing someone British was a bit of a novelty - more of a 'hey, you're from the UK, that's so cool', rather than them wanting to be friends.

To the OP - please don't let what people say on forums put you off completely. Not all of us think that way. I'm willing to give most people a chance. My uni/course is quite international, and as long as they're willing to integrate with the British there really hasn't been any issues. None of the people (at least those that have tried to integrate with life in the UK) have been rejected for their nationality. Some of my best/closest friends have been international.

Growing up I lived round the corner from and was very close to an American family. They celebrated various American holidays and stuck to their religion (Mormonism) and I learnt a little about it but it was a case of sharing what/when it was appropriate.

You may encounter several people who talk about America/Americans as a whole (sometimes negatively) - but when it comes to interacting with individuals I think it's more of a personality thing.

Thanks. Yeah, I personally don't know any Americans who hate British people. Most (especially American girls) love British accents and think British people are cool.

I'm glad you had a mostly (or hopefully 100%) good experience in the States. That is great about the American family in the UK and the Americans at your university. Thanks for sharing. :smile:
Reply 109
Lol I wouldn't recommend yelling "passport now!" to workers at an American embassy :smile:

I don't know about your case... have you thought about Canada? Canada is cool too.

Weirdly my mum had a lets move to canada phase. My grandparents lived there before detroit. I have some (mostly distant) family in both.

Anywhooo, before I end up blurting out a family history i'll go back on thread.

Don't let tsr put you off the uk

Original post by Gales
CS Lewis was Northern Irish.

He had a house in Guildford, where his family lived. I don't know how much time he spent in it.
Original post by shane1989
Getting green card requires a company to sponsor you in the US which is rare unless you hold a post-grad qualification. The employer needs to file for labour certification stating that there is no US citizen qualified enough to take on the role. The process it quite costly too. Few thousand dollars.

I've done extensive research and that's pretty much the only way (through employment). Only other way is to join a UK company that has offices in the US and then get transferred but you have to be at management level for the hiring manager to have a strong case for you.

I wanted to move to the US too but immigration is quite tough. I guess I'll have to complete my MBA and then see if I can join a MNC.

UK is pretty sh*t now. It's in the gutter along with Spain, Italy and Greece. Look at what they're doing to grads. Half of them are filling shelves in supermarkets. I'm not saying the US is any better but it's a bigger economy and has much more opportunities than the UK.

Thank you Cameron and Clegg for ruining this country. I'm sure JP Morgan is waiting to give you non-directorship roles when you leave office in 2015. The way they raised tuition fees to £9,000 was just EPIC and the banking scandals (inter-bank interest charges) were just the icing on the cake.

America I just want to love you. Why won't you let me love you? :sad:
Let me love you, America :frown:
Original post by Emaemmaemily
That's funny because I experienced the exact opposite in Scottland. I supposed it really is the luck of the draw, which kind of people you happen to come into contact with that time.

Did you happen to be in Glasgow at the time?
Reply 113
Another poster asked about me studying in England. I would like to study in the UK someday, but not exactly in England. As a descendant of British immigrants, the UK does intrigue me. I would love to learn Gaelic someday, but the study of the English language also fascinates me, since it is the official language of the USA (although the dialects in the USA are different than the dialects in the UK).

So I am curious. How are Americans treated in the UK? I personally have never been. My Mom and sister went, and they fell in love with Ireland. They did not get to go to Scotland. My Mom found people with her maiden name, which she loved, and felt right at home. She said the people were very friendly and nice. She said she did not experience the same friendliness while touring London, England. Is it possible that she did not because she is American?

How are Americans who study at universities around the UK treated? If they mind their own business, are they accepted? If they are patriotic to the USA, are they condemned/made fun of/despised?

It is fascinating to me how I personally have felt a lot of hostility against me on this forum because of my beliefs, as well as because of the country where I was born. It would be cool to know if those who are hostile are mainly residents/citizens of the UK. That would be a good thing to study.

Since I love to study and write, I am going to write about my findings to the responses both on this thread, and the one about what the people in the UK nowadays think about the US's Independence Day, because they are topics that personally interest me.

People are naturally diverse, and it is interesting to see who is friendly, and who is hostile, and why.

Thanks.

The U.S has no official language.
Reply 114
Original post by silverbolt
my biggest gripe with you is your holier than thou attitude as if your better than everyone else of differing (or no) faiths - which amounts to nothing more than "nah nah nah nah nah my gods better than your god *rasberry" and other such childish outbursts.

And Americans do not speak english you speak American English with its dumb down spellings (its spelt doughnut) and your silly changing of names - faucet for instance - tap was too awkward so what did you do? Took the french word - for tap. Ok sidewalk ill give you that makes more sense than pavement (please note this paragraph was intended with a large amount of irony)

If you come to Ireland do not refer to anything as quaint - American tourists (as well as being so obviously American tourists) are not only brash arrogant and downright rude describe everything as quaint. Its really irritating

And for the record, we do spell doughnut exactly like that.
(edited 11 years ago)
My dad has a permanent visa for the US because Grandpa is from Massachusetts so I can imagine he could easily move there and then sponsor me over teehee.

I like Americans. Dad's gf has a niece who lives in Texas and they come over a few times.
Original post by Stilo
The U.S has no official language.

What language do the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of the USA use?
The idea that there is no "official" language is pretty silly, since it is obvious that the US government uses English, even if it is not "officially" stated. It can be understand through mere observation.
Original post by Snagprophet
My dad has a permanent visa for the US because Grandpa is from Massachusetts so I can imagine he could easily move there and then sponsor me over teehee.

I like Americans. Dad's gf has a niece who lives in Texas and they come over a few times.

Thanks for writing this SnagProphet. :smile: Here in the USA, I have never met a mean/rude/hostile/apathetic person from the UK, which is great, and I like them very much!

Have you ever gone to Texas?
I just asked them and they went to Belfast, which is Ireland (though called Northern Ireland) and is a part of the UK.

It is fascinating how some people think Northern Ireland is not actually Ireland.

It's like saying North Korea isn't actually Korea, though North and South Korea were originally Korea. Some South Koreans hope soon Korea will be reunited again, with democracy for those trapped in Northern Korea...

Hmm. I wonder if that's similar to the situation between "Ireland" and "Northern Ireland"? However, my friends in South Korea insist both South and North Korea are "Korea", even though the North is trapped by a dictator. I wonder if the Irish people in Ireland consider Northern Ireland to be "Ireland", even though it is part of the UK?

u got a lot of neg rep for this. but u do make sense.

i feel the catholic community in northern ireland see themselves as irish and from IRELAND, they dont recognise Northern Ireland, more rather they feel they are from the north OF ireland. This is what i gathered from when i went to belfast and derry.

The protestants in NI, consider themselves british and not part of the republic but more rather of northern ireland.

my boyfriend is from belfast...and he's a catholic, and considers himself irish, and when asked where he's from would say Ireland, when asked which city, he says belfast. When people say 'well youre northern irish then...! '...he says 'wtf is northern irish???...im Irish'...and then he gives a massive speech about the counties and what not...

but honestly the history is quite fascinating. I personally feel sorry for the catholics, being pushed away over the years, with all the historical bloody sunday, hunger strikes and what not. Also i noticed catholics in NI are usually more less fortunate in terms of jobs/finances...seems like the protestants get all the better end of jobs and what not.

someone correct me if im wrong.

pretty sure i'll get a million neg reps. bring it.
Reply 119
What language do the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of the USA use?
The idea that there is no "official" language is pretty silly, since it is obvious that the US government uses English, even if it is not "officially" stated. It can be understand through mere observation.

Don't worry, the UK doesn't have an official language either :tongue:

Obviously we effectively do, it's just so obvious that it's English, no one has bothered explicitly writing that down in any laws. Same as the USA I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending