Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Data recovery

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Backed up files from my laptop, did a clean install of windows and then deleted the "windows.old" folder. Looked around for a specific folder in my backup, can't find it... I turned off my laptop and currently using my phone to google stuff. I've get a few questions:

1)bit obvious but I want to check, is copying the entire desktop folder through c/user/me/desktop (can't remember if that's the actual directory) the same as actually going to your desktop and copying the files?

2) what is a good free file recovery program (that ideally allows batch recovery but most importantly is not limited like free trial versions).

In the past Ive downloaded numerous different programs, all either failed to do what I want or could but were limited some how because they turned out to be free trials. I.e. I've installed useless programs and increased the chances of the deleted files being not recoverable...

I've heard a user suggest a program called recuva and was wondering if other users could either confirm it actually does what it should or recommend a better program?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    Backed up files from my laptop, did a clean install of windows and then deleted the "windows.old" folder. Looked around for a specific folder in my backup, can't find it... I turned off my laptop and currently using my phone to google stuff. I've get a few questions:

1)bit obvious but I want to check, is copying the entire desktop folder through c/user/me/desktop (can't remember if that's the actual directory) the same as actually going to your desktop and copying the files?

2) what is a good free file recovery program (that ideally allows batch recovery but most importantly is not limited like free trial versions).

In the past Ive downloaded numerous different programs, all either failed to do what I want or could but were limited some how because they turned out to be free trials. I.e. I've installed useless programs and increased the chances of the deleted files being not recoverable...

I've heard a user suggest a program called recuva and was wondering if other users could either confirm it actually does what it should or recommend a better program?
    1)It should be as it includes your username and all the folders with in it

2)Recuva I recall being good, though I used a different one which I downloaded once I realised the maker of the external hard drive tricked me into downloading their recovery software, and telling to pay for it ¬¬
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    1)It should be as it includes your username and all the folders with in it

2)Recuva I recall being good, though I used a different one which I downloaded once I realised the maker of the external hard drive tricked me into downloading their recovery software, and telling to pay for it ¬¬
    As an update to the situation:

1) used recuva and used a deepscan I.e took years to complete
    2) files are unrecoverable despite only being deleted a few days ago
    3) still have no reason why they were deleted even though I know it was on desktop and I copy/pasted the entire desktop folder to my hard drive
    4) fml
    5) /thread
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    As an update to the situation:

1) used recuva and used a deepscan I.e took years to complete
    2) files are unrecoverable despite only being deleted a few days ago
    3) still have no reason why they were deleted even though I know it was on desktop and I copy/pasted the entire desktop folder to my hard drive
    4) fml
    5) /thread
    It's how it works, external drive took over night about 6-8 hours, and recovery took 2 hours, because it has to scan properly.

Did you install anything over that time?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's how it works, external drive took over night about 6-8 hours, and recovery took 2 hours, because it has to scan properly.

Did you install anything over that time?
    To be expected I guess because after I reinstalled windows I installed all the necessary drivers in order to make a system image for future use (I did this before I noticed files were missing)

Not the end of the world I guess, just a bit peeved when I put a lot of time into downloading every lecture and resource for uni next year (before it gets removed) and it somehow gets deleted from my backup

Oh well, nothing I can do I suppose other than hope its still online and start again
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be expected I guess because after I reinstalled windows I installed all the necessary drivers in order to make a system image for future use (I did this before I noticed files were missing)

Not the end of the world I guess, just a bit peeved when I put a lot of time into downloading every lecture and resource for uni next year (before it gets removed) and it somehow gets deleted from my backup

Oh well, nothing I can do I suppose other than hope its still online and start again
    It's because you did a fresh install..........what happens is that when you delete things, it's still there, just the computer is told is available space to be written over, but you already have with the clean install and it's probably messed everything around.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's because you did a fresh install..........what happens is that when you delete things, it's still there, just the computer is told is available space to be written over, but you already have with the clean install and it's probably messed everything around.
    It depends, if the files were deleted before the install then correct, if not, then everything from the previous state, would have been moved to a folder called 'windows.old' (which I then purposely deleted because I thought I backed up) which should be recoverable if deleted, though it would still have been messed up because of the driver installations so it depends on when the files were removed

Can files be overwritten from simply turning on the pc without opening programs nor opening/creating documents and such? (simply turn it on and that's it)
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends, if the files were deleted before the install then correct, if not, then everything from the previous state, would have been moved to a folder called 'windows.old' (which I then purposely deleted because I thought I backed up) which should be recoverable if deleted, though it would still have been messed up because of the driver installations so it depends on when the files were removed

Can files be overwritten from simply turning on the pc without opening programs nor opening/creating documents and such? (simply turn it on and that's it)
    Actually your right about the windows old, I know it holds the old OS, I think it might have you know.

No, but installing anything, could over write the old files

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 4, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.