The Student Room Group

Paying insurance as Monthly

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Camoxide
It was only £740 for my Micra.

Just got told i'd be getting £80 back after the first 90 days as well, winning!

Nice!! My quote is at 1200 for a 98' micra, going to be paying 91 per month though. Micra's are too easy to get robbed these days man :/ So im getting a good steering lock, a wheel clamp, a gear level and handbrake lock, a door sticker that says that the car is GPS and is linked with the police, and am getting a dummy fashing LED light on the dash lol. That'l stop a thief from nicking it as they'l have to break 4 locks and a window 8)

What micra you driving? And your insurance is cheaper than mine :frown: Maybe its cause of area risk
Original post by PataynaRolaay
Yeah how would his insurers ever know, all the guy has to say that he had relatives over and they ordered 4 pizza's, coke and garlic bread, and its in that oven wrap thing to keep them warm as his house is 4 miles away? You sound like a pudiyavana now

If a copper has to be called to the scene of an accident and he has uniform on or anything telling, he's funked. Is it worth the risk?
I got a quote of about £2000 for a Clio. I think a lot of that might be location as well mind as there is a problem with boy racers in the local area :frown:
The young drivers insurance is definitely worth it. It can be a pain sometimes being measured (esp. the not driving after 11PM) Mine dropped to about £1700 after 3 months with the safe driving discount, coming in at about £100 a month (I'm insured to drive 10k miles as well!)
Reply 23
Nice!! My quote is at 1200 for a 98' micra, going to be paying 91 per month though. Micra's are too easy to get robbed these days man :/ So im getting a good steering lock, a wheel clamp, a gear level and handbrake lock, a door sticker that says that the car is GPS and is linked with the police, and am getting a dummy fashing LED light on the dash lol. That'l stop a thief from nicking it as they'l have to break 4 locks and a window 8)

What micra you driving? And your insurance is cheaper than mine :frown: Maybe its cause of area risk

Mine's a 1998 Micra.

They've got an imobliser so they shouldn't be easy to nick.
You can break the steering lock on it but that's not going to be much use without something to tow it away.
I wouldn't get a sticker saying the car has a GPS tracker. That way they'll know to block it using a GPS jammer. It'd be much more amusing when they see the police pull up outside a day later.
You should have a flashing LED in the dash anyway. This shows that the imobliser is working
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
If a copper has to be called to the scene of an accident and he has uniform on or anything telling, he's funked. Is it worth the risk?

Why would he have uniform on for? Its pizza delivery lol, just drive to the house, park up, give pizza, take cash, come back to shop. Thats it lol, some people are so paranoid on this forum. Relax
Original post by Camoxide
Mine's a 1998 Micra.

They've got an imobliser so they shouldn't be easy to nick.
You can break the steering lock on it but that's not going to be much use without something to tow it away.
I wouldn't get a sticker saying the car has a GPS tracker. That way they'll know to block it using a GPS jammer. It'd be much more amusing when they see the police pull up outside a day later.
You should have a flashing LED in the dash anyway. This shows that the imobliser is working

Oh okay, so forget the Sticker, and all the steering wheel heavy duty lock, gear stick lock, hand brake lock, and wheel clamp then?
Reply 26
Oh okay, so forget the Sticker, and all the steering wheel heavy duty lock, gear stick lock, hand brake lock, and wheel clamp then?

Yep that's extremely excessive for a £600ish car.

Best bet would be the steering wheel lock for peace of mind. Will most likely stop attempted break ins by being a deterrent.

I imagine it'd be extremely annoying if one day you walked up to your car to find someones tried to drill a hole in the door or smashed the window.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by shorty.loves.angels

And even if not that, you could easily slip up whilst telling the insurer what happened. A guy I know did that - had a parking accident but had to go through insurance, and told the insurance company "oh, I had just been out to get whatever for work..." which they then said was business use.

Especially if you're a bit shook up after an accident you might not be thinking and say something!
Original post by Juno
And even if not that, you could easily slip up whilst telling the insurer what happened. A guy I know did that - had a parking accident but had to go through insurance, and told the insurance company "oh, I had just been out to get whatever for work..." which they then said was business use.

Especially if you're a bit shook up after an accident you might not be thinking and say something!

Are wheel caps a modification? Like you know them plastic wheel covers? What about if get some chrome wheel spinners caps, like when i drive and the car is in stopped position, the wheels look like their spinning?
Original post by Juno

Yeah it's not actually that difficult for them to find out you were on work's time, and given that they won't wana pay out, they'll do everything they can to find something you've done wrong.

I know a girl who was in a small bump, and somebody reported her for being on the phone explaining why she was late... turns out she was using her car for some sort of delivery and the insurers wouldn't cover her. Something so simple.

In my opinion, it's never worth the risk.
Il rather take the risk, if you have your story straight from day one then you'l be alright. My dads been using his car for work for over 10 years, and he's only covered for SDP and commuting, however he does collections everyweek. He's had like 2 accidents, and they've both paid out.

People just over exagurate about this and that, e.g if i have a pizza in my car and have a crash, how can they prove i was doing a delivery? I wont be paying tax or nothing, the only people that would know im a delivery guy is the pizza boss.

For example if you bought a pizza and a coke bottle from the shop, and was driving home, and you smashed into someone. And then your insurance company says that you was using the vehicle for business and was doing a pizza delivery, whats your reaction gonna be? Your gonna say you dont work at all, your just a student. Exactly. Now what.

There wont be any prove at all im a pizza delivery worker as i wont be paying tax and its all cash in hand and no uniform, just car needed. The amount of bull**** on this thread is unbelievable mate, fix up
Reply 31
Original post by Jason2
I thought that, but why are people saying you pay the following month after deposit. Surely you pay deposit then don't need to pay until two months time.

I'm with these insurers, you pay one month after the deposit, but the last month is free. So, if you take it out January to January, you pay the deposit and then start paying the premium February, but December you don't pay anything.

Therefore, a deposit and 10 monthly payments.
Original post by ROG.
I hope you have business insurance as well because if not you will not be insured

I know for a fact with Dominos, they insure your car effectivley when you're on pizza deliverys. So he might not need it.
Reply 33
Simple option would be just to add business cover, I think it cost me about £10 more..
Original post by CurlyBen
Simple option would be just to add business cover, I think it cost me about £10 more..

It costs me 800 quid more. So il rather take the risk.
Original post by VtecMB3
Well i knocked the quote even more down to 1500 now, so 115 a month.
Its on a lil micra, just a little run around for when im doing pizza delivery etc, plus il get to earn NCB too which will be even better.

If you are using it for delivery, you post have business usage on it, and the big chains at least will check.

Original post by J.Star
Why does it matter? Just as long as he doesn't claim after being in a crash with 4 large pizzas, a bottle of Coke and garlic bread found in the car then how would the insurer ever know?

See above. The big companies will check (if they don't, they get in big ****). The smaller companies may not, but then if he gets caught, the company will be likely to go bust with the fines, and the driver is likely to be fined as well.

Yeah how would his insurers ever know, all the guy has to say that he had relatives over and they ordered 4 pizza's, coke and garlic bread, and its in that oven wrap thing to keep them warm as his house is 4 miles away? You sound like a pudiyavana now

Decent pizza companies don't often give away their pizza bags. Nor will they often lie in court about a person being employed as their driver.

Original post by Friggerpants
I know for a fact with Dominos, they insure your car effectivley when you're on pizza deliverys. So he might not need it.

When I applied, I was told that I would need business insurance. So either your store is lying to you, or is offering a much better deal than mine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Il rather take the risk, if you have your story straight from day one then you'l be alright. My dads been using his car for work for over 10 years, and he's only covered for SDP and commuting, however he does collections everyweek. He's had like 2 accidents, and they've both paid out.

People just over exagurate about this and that, e.g if i have a pizza in my car and have a crash, how can they prove i was doing a delivery? I wont be paying tax or nothing, the only people that would know im a delivery guy is the pizza boss.

For example if you bought a pizza and a coke bottle from the shop, and was driving home, and you smashed into someone. And then your insurance company says that you was using the vehicle for business and was doing a pizza delivery, whats your reaction gonna be? Your gonna say you dont work at all, your just a student. Exactly. Now what.

There wont be any prove at all im a pizza delivery worker as i wont be paying tax and its all cash in hand and no uniform, just car needed. The amount of bull**** on this thread is unbelievable mate, fix up

Hope you are happy with you being part of immigrants being exploited. Companies that don't give you a uniform, don't declare who works for them for tax purposes, pay cash in hand, etc are extremely likely to be doing something dodgy, maybe breaking the arms of people who are hooked on their drugs, maybe forced prostitution of people they use their profits to export over here, etc.
Reply 37
Original post by rmhumphries
Hope you are happy with you being part of immigrants being exploited. Companies that don't give you a uniform, don't declare who works for them for tax purposes, pay cash in hand, etc are extremely likely to be doing something dodgy, maybe breaking the arms of people who are hooked on their drugs, maybe forced prostitution of people they use their profits to export over here, etc.

Lol, good use of hyperbole there. Or maybe they are just a small family-run business that would rather bend a few rules so that they can have a bit more to spend at the end of the month?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
somehow this thread asking about car insurance has turned into a discussion on immigration and morals now? lol... For those of you with a micra, I thoroughly recommend overdrafting and blowing all of your student funds on a full HKS exhaust upgrade (manifold, midpipe, backbox), matt humphries coil overs all around and a march tailgate conversion :biggrin: Oh and if your running that 998cc upgrade those cams from the 1.3 engine...should cost you around £4k in total :biggrin:
Original post by rmhumphries
If you are using it for delivery, you post have business usage on it, and the big chains at least will check.

See above. The big companies will check (if they don't, they get in big ****). The smaller companies may not, but then if he gets caught, the company will be likely to go bust with the fines, and the driver is likely to be fined as well.

Decent pizza companies don't often give away their pizza bags. Nor will they often lie in court about a person being employed as their driver.

When I applied, I was told that I would need business insurance. So either your store is lying to you, or is offering a much better deal than mine.

Just thought:

Dominos is Franchise ran, isn't it?

Meaning that each chain runs stuff differnntly, that would explain the differenece here!

I worked there 4 years ago, and providing I had under 6 points I was fine with their policy (Obviously, they had to ring my details in etc).

Quick Reply

Latest