The Student Room Group

Guys, how does a girl get out of friend zone ???

Hi,
This guy and I have been friends for around 5 months. I would say I am pretty close to him as I shared with him my ex story ect ect...

I basically thought we were just in friend zone of each other's
Well, I started thinking about going out with him...

I will see him on Saturday this week to study together. We will probably go to my place and stay in my kitchen - i live in a uni hall.

What should I do now?? I'm nervous Shall I cook him something? Sorry pretty lame!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No such thing as the friend zone most of the time, unless you've been close since birth I doubt you'll get friend zoned. He either likes you or he doesn't.

Just flirt with him, make a few jokes and tease him a little, see what happens there. If he does it back, then you can keep it up. Eventually he'll get on to what you're doing.
Just remind him of sex and remind him that you are something he can have sex with.
Reply 3
Guy's only friend-zone munters/girls they've known all their lives.

So long as you are neither, he will not have friend-zoned you. Nice feeling, eh?

In this regard, you're lucky to be a girl.
Reply 4
Original post by Alpharius

So long as you are neither, he will not have friend-zoned you. Nice feeling, eh?

Erm... does that mean even a guy was in a relationship, he wouldn't friendzone other girls around... That sounds so bad :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Classical Liberal
Just remind him of sex and remind him that you are something he can have sex with.

Well, if he went with sex only then I would better step away...
Original post by Anonymous
Well, if he went with sex only then I would better step away...

What really distinguishes romantic relationships and friendships?

Basically, it is sex.

If you don't make the relationship in some way sexual (flirting being the lowest level of sexual activity) then the relationship will just be a friendship.

Don't get the idea that because a guy wants sex that everything else does not matter. That is not at all true. They can still really like you as a person and also want to have sex you know.
Reply 7
He is aware of your presence, if you have to remind him that you're a woman and sexual, that's not good. A young guy rarely, if ever, has to be reminded of sex and the sexuality of women around him.

I'm afraid it's simply a case of "he's just not that into you".
Reply 8
At this point, I would say that you shouldn't flirt outrageously, but should make a little bit more of an effort than normal. Maybe do your makeup - if you wear it - to a slightly higher standard (no red lipstick or heavy eyeliner, but spend some extra time on your foundation/blusher. what I call "Natural Plus") and wear the clothes that make you feel your best, i.e. your best fitted jeans or that one top that you always feel more confident in.

Definitely offer to make dinner, but don't make it obvious that you've planned to. Don't buy the ingredients beforehand. A couple of hours into the study session, just indicate that you're a bit hungry. Would he like to get some dinner? If he's a good cook, then decide, buy and cook together. If not, then offer that you could make something, if the two of you just popped to the shops to get some ingredients. This makes it seem really impromptu - the key is to have your dinner plan tucked up your sleeve, something quick but potentially impressive. A stirfry or pasta dish that you've done time and time again is perfect.

This kind of plan is a bit like those girls in the library who have the full 'natural' makeup on, in their carefully chosen jeans and hoodies, with artfully messy hair. It's all about faking spontaneity!
Reply 9
Original post by Lilliput
At this point, I would say that you shouldn't flirt outrageously, but should make a little bit more of an effort than normal. Maybe do your makeup - if you wear it - to a slightly higher standard (no red lipstick or heavy eyeliner, but spend some extra time on your foundation/blusher. what I call "Natural Plus") and wear the clothes that make you feel your best, i.e. your best fitted jeans or that one top that you always feel more confident in.

Definitely offer to make dinner, but don't make it obvious that you've planned to. Don't buy the ingredients beforehand. A couple of hours into the study session, just indicate that you're a bit hungry. Would he like to get some dinner? If he's a good cook, then decide, buy and cook together. If not, then offer that you could make something, if the two of you just popped to the shops to get some ingredients. This makes it seem really impromptu - the key is to have your dinner plan tucked up your sleeve, something quick but potentially impressive. A stirfry or pasta dish that you've done time and time again is perfect.

This kind of plan is a bit like those girls in the library who have the full 'natural' makeup on, in their carefully chosen jeans and hoodies, with artfully messy hair. It's all about faking spontaneity!

Original post by Millie228
He is aware of your presence, if you have to remind him that you're a woman and sexual, that's not good. A young guy rarely, if ever, has to be reminded of sex and the sexuality of women around him.

I'm afraid it's simply a case of "he's just not that into you".

What really distinguishes romantic relationships and friendships?

Basically, it is sex.

If you don't make the relationship in some way sexual (flirting being the lowest level of sexual activity) then the relationship will just be a friendship.

Don't get the idea that because a guy wants sex that everything else does not matter. That is not at all true. They can still really like you as a person and also want to have sex you know.

Ok... where shall I see him tomorrow? We could go to our school or we could stay in my hall's kitchen or common room... However, the school might just does not allow us to take a room there and I have to ask them to find out. I also feel it is uncomfortable if we go to my place.... My friends told me he minds think that I want something sexual. What would you guys think if there were only 2 people studying together at the girl's place ( obviously not my room but still not at school )?
Original post by Alpharius

Original post by jam277
No such thing as the friend zone most of the time, unless you've been close since birth I doubt you'll get friend zoned. He either likes you or he doesn't.

Just flirt with him, make a few jokes and tease him a little, see what happens there. If he does it back, then you can keep it up. Eventually he'll get on to what you're doing.
Reply 10
It depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking to seduce the guy, with sex/physical intimacy being on the table that night, then your flat is the best idea.

Alternatively, if you want to create an interest but not seem entirely available, campus may be the best bet. Can I ask why it's not an option to study in his residence? Do you feel unsafe in this environment, or is it simply a typical first year boys' flat?
Girls dont get friendzones unless theyre ugly.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
Ok... where shall I see him tomorrow? We could go to our school or we could stay in my hall's kitchen or common room... However, the school might just does not allow us to take a room there and I have to ask them to find out. I also feel it is uncomfortable if we go to my place.... My friends told me he minds think that I want something sexual. What would you guys think if there were only 2 people studying together at the girl's place ( obviously not my room but still not at school )?

It depends, though a lot of people think it's something sexual but it doesn't matter what they think and it matters more about you and him, but just make it out like it isn't. Check for a room, if you can't find it then suggest your place, suggest it, but don't make it like it's that important, he'll say yes if he likes you unless there's a genuine reason he can't go to yours.
Reply 13
It depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking to seduce the guy, with sex/physical intimacy being on the table that night, then your flat is the best idea.

Alternatively, if you want to create an interest but not seem entirely available, campus may be the best bet. Can I ask why it's not an option to study in his residence? Do you feel unsafe in this environment, or is it simply a typical first year boys' flat?

I feel uncomfortable tbh... I dont have issue with trusting him or st as I know we are just friends now :smile:
Also, I think he's back home w his parents now so It would be even more awkward if I went there...
Reply 14
You aren't 'friend zoned', we really don't friend zone.
Just act a bit more coy and flirty than usual, tease him a bit and find excuses for subtle physical intimacy e.g sitting close together, brushing hands that kind of thing...If you're any good at flirting and you aren't completely unattractive he'll be eating out of your hand within about ten minutes :wink:
Original post by Josh93

You don't realise you friendzone. When I sit down and think about the girls who I think are cool people and whatever, but would not want to date, the list gets a little alarming.
Reply 16
You don't realise you friendzone. When I sit down and think about the girls who I think are cool people and whatever, but would not want to date, the list gets a little alarming.

I disagree, I can think of no girl that I'm close friends with that I would be adverse to dating based on that friendship, which is essentiely what 'friend zoning' is. You are the first guy that I have ever known to claim that they friend zone.
Original post by Josh93
I disagree, I can think of no girl that I'm close friends with that I would be adverse to dating based on that friendship, which is essentiely what 'friend zoning' is. You are the first guy that I have ever known to claim that they friend zone.

How many "close friends" who are girls do you have?

Not a very big sample. Now think about all those girls who you are casual mates with.
Reply 18
Ok some people commented saying guys do not friendzone girls!!! Well, you guys gave me hope and well reality is so painful!!!

Apparently, we had a good laugh and fun afternoon together. I walked with him to the bus stop. I asked if a girl was crying and told him to go away, would he leave me? He said he wouldnt if that was his sister or a close friend whom he understands that they want him to stay! . He would leave if he is not close to the girl as he thinks that the girl actually wants him to leave.

I said what if I cried!? He said he would leave as he thought I am not that close to him and I really wanted him to leave!!!

I was like whatever then and got a bit mad at him lol playfully though!

He said he never thought he is considered to be my close friend. He named people whom he thinks would be on my close friend list and said he thinks he is somewhere down there!!!

WTH... I said, well you know your list not my list :biggrin:

Then the conversation had to end as I need to cross the road!

Well, then I have been defo friendzoned by this guys well not even close friends!!!??
Reply 19

Original post by ShredMaster
Girls dont get friendzones unless theyre ugly.

Original post by jam277
It depends, though a lot of people think it's something sexual but it doesn't matter what they think and it matters more about you and him, but just make it out like it isn't. Check for a room, if you can't find it then suggest your place, suggest it, but don't make it like it's that important, he'll say yes if he likes you unless there's a genuine reason he can't go to yours.

Original post by Josh93
Just act a bit more coy and flirty than usual, tease him a bit and find excuses for subtle physical intimacy e.g sitting close together, brushing hands that kind of thing...If you're any good at flirting and you aren't completely unattractive he'll be eating out of your hand within about ten minutes :wink:

Ok I posted one thread before... some people commented saying guys do not friendzone girls!!! Well, you guys gave me hope and well reality is so painful!!!

Apparently, we had a good laugh and fun afternoon together. I walked with him to the bus stop. I asked if a girl was crying and told him to go away, would he leave me? He said he wouldnt if that was his sister or a close friend whom he understands that they want him to stay! . He would leave if he is not close to the girl as he thinks that the girl actually wants him to leave.

I said what if I cried!? He said he would leave as he thought I am not that close to him and I really wanted him to leave!!!

I was like whatever then and got a bit mad at him lol playfully though!

He said he never thought he is considered to be my close friend. He named people whom he thinks would be on my close friend list and said he thinks he is somewhere down there!!!

WTH... I said, well you know your list not my list :biggrin:

Then the conversation had to end as I need to cross the road!

Well, then I have been defo friendzoned by this guys well not even close friends!!!??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending