The Student Room Group

Student Oyster Card - attaching 16 - 25 railcard

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by alleycat393
Yup a student oyster does not give you discounts on individual journeys-your 16-25 card will if it's attached to your student oyster (off peak only though :tongue:)

I'd say it's only worth getting a student oyster if you're gonna buy a weekly/monthly/annual pass. If not then just attach your 16-25 card to your normal oyster for off peak discounts on individual journeys.

Ok thankyou :smile:. I think I may just use my normal oyster and attach my 16-25 card to it. I doubt it's worth me buying travel cards as I'm not planning on touring around all of the time. I may consider in 2nd year though if I'm commuting from further.
Original post by alleycat393
Yup a student oyster does not give you discounts on individual journeys-your 16-25 card will if it's attached to your student oyster (off peak only though :tongue:)

I'd say it's only worth getting a student oyster if you're gonna buy a weekly/monthly/annual pass. If not then just attach your 16-25 card to your normal oyster for off peak discounts on individual journeys.

Doesn't the student oyster work just like any other normal oyster card? So why do you need to get a pass too?
Original post by SpiritedAway
Doesn't the student oyster work just like any other normal oyster card? So why do you need to get a pass too?

It does. If you're gonna be travelling between or around certain zones everyday it's more economical to get a pass than it is to pay for individual journeys. A pass can be put onto either a normal oyster or a student one but you get 34% off the price of the pass if you put it onto a student oyster card.
Reply 23
Original post by SpiritedAway

The ONLY direct benefit with a student oyster is that you get 34% off weekly, monthly and annual railcards. If you aren't going to buy these (because they only really pay off to a reasonable extent if you're travelling around most days), then for occasional journeys you're going to save more getting a normal railcard and attaching a YP railcard to it.
Original post by JKGB
Get a student Oyster card and add a 16-25 railcard onto it - best of both worlds :smile:.

Does this still apply?
Reply 25
Original post by maverick123
Does this still apply?

I believe so. I have 2 separate cards though (one student oyster, one normal oyster with the railcard attached), so I can be sure what's going on.
Original post by gumball
I believe so. I have 2 separate cards though (one student oyster, one normal oyster with the railcard attached), so I can be sure what's going on.

Wait so I can add a 16-25 railcard on to my 16-18 Oyster and get a further discount on London Underground journeys?
Reply 27
Original post by maverick123
Wait so I can add a 16-25 railcard on to my 16-18 Oyster and get a further discount on London Underground journeys?

They're separate systems. You can use the railcard for individual off peak journeys.

What the student railcard gives you is a cheaper price for season tickets (week, month or year). Say you get your month travel card (Zone 1-2 is I believe ~£80), you get unlimited peak of off peak travel with that, for one month.

If this then ran out (the day after it finished, for example) you should be able to then get discounted pay as you go travel off peak, with the attached 16-25 railcard. On top of having the ability to get the travel cards, it's basically just a normal oyster account you can top up to use as pay as you go.

To avoid the... grey area between what would actually be charged on some days, if I was to forget when my card was going to expire, I just have them separate.

In summary:

Student oyster card -> cheaper unlimited travel tickets for week/month/year
Adding 16-25 railcard to an oyster -> cheaper off-peak travel for single journeys
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
For the 16-18 fare card. I don't really understand it.
I know that it cost £25 for a year but... do you travel free for a year or do you get discounts off. It would be so hard getting to school
Reply 29
Original post by beckysoya
For the 16-18 fare card. I don't really understand it.
I know that it cost £25 for a year but... do you travel free for a year or do you get discounts off. It would be so hard getting to school

After having a quick look at this: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

16-18

You must have a 16+ Oyster photocard to get:
7 Day, Monthly and longer period Travelcards at child rate
Half the adult rate when you pay as you go on Tube, DLR and London Overground
You can also get 34 per cent off the off-peak daily price caps if you get a 16-25 National Railcard and add the discount entitlement to your 16+ Oyster photocard
You do not need a 16+ Oyster photocard to pay cash single fares or to buy Day Travelcards

It looks like you get half price travel with that one.
Since your talking about railcards, when i turn 24 can I get a 3 year card or will they check that you're over 25?
Original post by Mr. Mortell
Incorrect!

The 16-25 Railcard now does give you discount on individual journeys outside of peak hours!!

Take it, and your oyster card to a popular station. If you're oyster is registered to you (fill out the form if you haven't!) you just ask the person at the counter to apply the discount from your railcard on to the oyster card.

--

If anyone has any other questions about this, just ask me. I've been using it for some years know and know quite a bit about the system!

Hi there, sorry to bug, but I'll take you up on that offer for advice if you don't mind :wink:. Here's my situation:

I'm starting a full-time MRes at ICL in Sept 2012. I'll be travelling daily into London from Stansted to Tottenham Hale, then take the Victoria line and then the Circle/District line to South Kensington tube station. I currently have a YP railcard and a normal oyster card.

Can you advise me which options to take in terms of either getting a student oyster and then adding the YP card, or should I just add the YP card onto my current oyster card? I will be travelling into and from uni during peak hours (as I'll be lab-based for my MRes and will probably be working full days - Mon to Fri).

Many Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by VENIVIDIVICI
Hi there, sorry to bug, but I'll take you up on that offer for advice if you don't mind :wink:. Here's my situation:

I'm starting a full-time MRes at ICL in Sept 2012. I'll be travelling daily into London from Stansted to Tottenham Hale, then take the Victoria line and then the Circle/District line to South Kensington tube station. I currently have a YP railcard and a normal oyster card.

Can you advise me which options to take in terms of either getting a student oyster and then adding the YP card, or should I just add the YP card onto my current oyster card? I will be travelling into and from uni during peak hours (as I'll be lab-based for my MRes and will probably be working full days - Mon to Fri).

Many Thanks

I would advise getting the student oyster and then adding the YP, to take full advantage of a discounted weekly railcard added to your oyster.
Original post by Mr. Mortell
I would advise getting the student oyster and then adding the YP, to take full advantage of a discounted weekly railcard added to your oyster.

Thx :smile:. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can I apply and get a student oyster if I live outside London...I thought I read somewhere on the tfl oyster website that in order to qualify, a student need to have a London address? I try and find that info...but maybe I misunderstood.

Here goes from the website:

If you are:

Aged 18 or over

Enrolled with a participating education establishment registered on the TfL scheme, or on mandatory work placement in London

Enrolled in an eligible Higher Education Level 4 or above full-time or part-time course

Resident in London during term time, i.e. living at a London address during term time (does this mean I don't qualify?)

Under the T&C's it also states: The concession is not available to those students who reside outside London during term times and who then return to London, for example, during the summer break (how does this affect me as I live outside Greater London and will be commuting daily into &/out of London for my studies?).

(edited 11 years ago)
Ok :cool:, I'll do that. I can only apply from the 1 Sept for it for the upcoming academic year, so will do it online.

Thx for clearing that up, I was getting a bit worried :biggrin:. My uni is in South Kensington, so problem there.
Who knows, possibly :wink:. It all depends where I'll be doing my projects (got 2 to do). If I do one on campus it will be in the SAF building, otherwise I'll be at one of the Imperial Trust - London hospitals (Chelsea, Brompton, Hammersmith or St. Mary's).

I'll be doing my MRes in Biomedical Research. That Petroleum geophysics course sounds awesome :biggrin:.

Oh, I'll be commuting from Stansted via Tottenham Hale and then tube it into west London (long way I know, but got no choice).
(edited 11 years ago)
30mins or so longer than yours each way. Where about in NW London you travelling from?
Reply 37
That's incorrect. I can get an off-peak daily travelcard whenever I want with 33% off. It's valuable if you don't buy a season ticket.

Another key point is that PAYG on oyster between 4-7pm on weekdays costs more (a peak price) than a printed ticket with railcard discount!

Original post by Indieboohoo
Since your talking about railcards, when i turn 24 can I get a 3 year card or will they check that you're over 25?

You can literally buy a 3-year railcard on the day before you're due to turn 26 and enjoy the railcard benefits until you are almost 29! :smile:
Original post by S23a
That's incorrect. I can get an off-peak daily travelcard whenever I want with 33% off. It's valuable if you don't buy a season ticket.

Another key point is that PAYG on oyster between 4-7pm on weekdays costs more (a peak price) than a printed ticket with railcard discount!

You can literally buy a 3-year railcard on the day before you're due to turn 26 and enjoy the railcard benefits until you are almost 29! :smile:

:woo: Good I can save money, thanks for replying I forgot about this thread.
Reply 39
Original post by S23a

Really? It's £4.30 for a single ticket, presuming you have to pay 66% of that, that would make it £2.84. Peak oyster is £2.70. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending