The Student Room Group

What do universities see on application?

Original post by gavinlowe
Hello. Do you see/know whether someone has made a previous application (to universities not including Oxford)? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Margulis
Hello. Do you see/know whether someone has made a previous application (to universities not including Oxford)? Thanks.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

No we don't. Of course, we would spot if you've been taking a gap year and are applying post-qualification.
Reply 2
Original post by britchick
Brilliant. Thanks very much.

when you put in your a-level qualifications, you can add in individual module results. but they're not automatically there, so if you don't write them in, the admissions won't see them.
Sorry for the delay in replying.

No we don't. Of course, we would spot if you've been taking a gap year and are applying post-qualification.

Do universities not like people spending 3 years at college to get more respected A Levels? Not to improve their grades! For instance, I want to do this;

(Completed) Year 12: AS English Language, AS Biology, AS Religious Studies and AS Psychology.

Year 13: AS English Literature, A2 Biology, A2 Religious Studies and A2 Psychology.

Year 14: A2 English Language, A2 English Literature and another AS or AS+A2 (in one year) of my choice.

This way I will have 3 respected A levels (English Literature, Biology and Religious Studies), 2 less-respected, but adored, A Levels (English Language and Psychology) and an AS in a subject I take a interest in e.g. Sociology, Mathematics, etc.

Other positives include;
- It would broaden my mind and knowledge base by studying more A Levels.
- I love education dearly and would adore an opportunity, if college allows it, to stay an extra year!
- It would give me more time to do; volunteering, work experience, extra reading, the decision making process of concluding exactly which university I would like to go to, etc.

The biggest con is if universities will not like this plan and, effectively, it harms my UCAS application.

Note - I have AAAA(A) at AS (extra in General Studies.) I have been predicted, by my college, to achieve A*A*A*A* at A2. I was hoping to get this by Year 13: A*AAaa or AAAaa and this by Year 14: A*AAAAA, A*AAAAa, AAAAAA or AAAAAa.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by EnigmaticSpirit
Do universities not like people spending 3 years at college to get more respected A Levels? Not to improve their grades! For instance, I want to do this;

(Completed) Year 12: AS English Language, AS Biology, AS Religious Studies and AS Psychology.

Year 13: AS English Literature, A2 Biology, A2 Religious Studies and A2 Psychology.

Year 14: A2 English Language, A2 English Literature and another AS or AS+A2 (in one year) of my choice.

This way I will have 3 respected A levels (English Literature, Biology and Religious Studies), 2 less-respected, but adored, A Levels (English Language and Psychology) and an AS in a subject I take a interest in e.g. Sociology, Mathematics, etc.

Other positives include;
- It would broaden my mind and knowledge base by studying more A Levels.
- I love education dearly and would adore an opportunity, if college allows it, to stay an extra year!
- It would give me more time to do; volunteering, work experience, extra reading, the decision making process of concluding exactly which university I would like to go to, etc.

The biggest con is if universities will not like this plan and, effectively, it harms my UCAS application.

Note - I have AAAA(A) at AS (extra in General Studies.) I have been predicted, by my college, to achieve A*A*A*A* at A2. I was hoping to get this by Year 13: A*AAaa or AAAaa and this by Year 14: A*AAAAA, A*AAAAa, AAAAAA or AAAAAa.

I don't think universities would have any issues with what you're proposing (at least, I wouldn't), as you're clearly planning on using that year to improve your education. The one thing you should ask yourself, though, is whether it's the best use of a year of your life.
I don't think universities would have any issues with what you're proposing (at least, I wouldn't), as you're clearly planning on using that year to improve your education. The one thing you should ask yourself, though, is whether it's the best use of a year of your life.

It definitely is! I couldn't imagine wasting time with a gap year. As aforementioned, I love education and would love to stay at college and complete more A Levels and give myself an edge in my applications to universities. I hope Cambridge and other top institutions view my decision in a favorable light too! Thank you. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending