The Student Room Group

Going through uni without fb or twitter?

Scroll to see replies

its social and academic suicide. With the groups for your subject, a lot of useful questions are posted by your peers, and answered well by other peers. Facebook chat is kind of good in terms of talking with people especially in the first few weeks, if not in the long run. The truth is you will not be able to talk to everyone in person consistently, its not that i don't have the skills to talk to people in person-i can talk to people extremely different from me , and i have been commended on this-but yeah see it as you wish. Jokes are made on facebook about tagged pics etc, that give you common ground to talk about in real life.

i know it may sound abit sad, but a lot of juicy stuff goes on within the realms of facebook too. If you have an admirer, you never know, they might randomly add you and start talking from there, because they're not bold enough/too shy t approach you in person.

Theres too many reasons to have a facebook imo, i don't see what you gain in NOT having one. If you're not an active user, you shouldn't have problems with addiction, i say you keep it, but the decision is ultimately down to you.
Twitter isn't necessary, but some societies (including the one I'm involved with) organise themselves entirely through facebook - without it, you're not going to know about anything that's going on, including practices, socials, competitions, banter . . . essentially, you need facebook if you're going to be involved with that sort of uni society. Facebook also makes it a lot easier to keep up with friends from home.
You'll be able to manage, but the majority of events are organised in some shape or form through facebook. Academically we also had a page for our course where quite often questions/worries about exams or lecture times or all sorts were discussed or answered which was a useful resource. To be honest it will make your life easier just to get it - it's not a massive issue, you don't even have to use it for any other purpose if you don't want to.

Twitter - meh. I've only just got it and don't really see the point still.
Reply 23
You can cope fine without it however if you don't use your phone either then probably! I knew someone who didn't have Facebook and didn't use her phone and well she never really came out..
Im not too sure about this. Facebook I personally found it very useful,
- Societies tend to arrange events through facebook, so you're kept up to date
- keep in touch with the new people you have meet as not many numbers are exchanged straight away and people tend to lose their phones
- Plus pictures of your time at uni is always nice

Even though I have twitter its not for university usage more just general debating/stuff so dont worry there. It would have been for the benefit of keeping up to date with what has and will happen. Not as widely used as facebook which features are usually for that of groups.
Reply 25
Going through uni without twitter is fine - I barely use it.
Facebook however may be more difficult as societies send out almost all of their communication using it.
It is considered a bit odd to not have a Facebook account these days it raises the question of WHY they are so opposed to the social norm. I've never met anyone who I've wanted to add to my friends list who doesn't have an account.
Reply 26
Facebook is useful for organising events and things like that.

But Twitter? I can't see how a Twitter account would help your social life.
Reply 27
Original post by eggy_nog
Going through Uni - without TSR :O

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

lol. At 0.06 posts a day, I can see you're quite the addict. :tongue:
Reply 28
Original post by Ras17
lol. At 0.06 posts a day, I can see you're quite the addict. :tongue:

More of an observer :biggrin:
Original post by RowanO
You can cope fine without it however if you don't use your phone either then probably! I knew someone who didn't have Facebook and didn't use her phone and well she never really came out..

You may have that the wrong way around.

Rather than, 'she didn't use her phone or Facebook and therefore she never went out', it may have been, 'she never wanted to go out therefore she had no need to use her phone or Facebook'.
Reply 30
Do what feels comfortable for you. You will probably need a phone, but that's useful anyway for contacting home.

I think it's quite a strong and independant thing to go to Uni without these social networking sites. For all the good they do (actually quite little that we can't achieve without them IMO) I believe that they're not worth the hassle. They're addictive and annoying. I wish I had gone to Uni without them, as I really dislike myself being on them.

It won't affect University much though, especially if you have a phone and keep in contact with friends through that. Some might seem puzzled by that, but i've known nobody to think badly of anyone for it. Most find it quirky, the rest just aren't fussed either way! :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by TheSownRose
You may have that the wrong way around.

Rather than, 'she didn't use her phone or Facebook and therefore she never went out', it may have been, 'she never wanted to go out therefore she had no need to use her phone or Facebook'.

This is true, I just know that none of us really got to know her and I hope she has managed to find accommodation for the second year because I know she didn't manage to get back into halls.
Reply 32
Honestly, I kinda loathe facebook, finally made it last year, I have to admit, while I hate the constant self important pics on there, the fact people add EVERYONE they meet, and the bitching, it is great for events. So many uni socs use fb groups, it's so easy to use for that. Plus there's a group for our course so that's helpful. And it's nice to talk to your 'old' school mates/general friends of course.

Hate to say it. But I'd recommend fb for uni.
My flatmate didn't have facebook and got through the first year fine - she just texted people if she ever needed them.

It's nice to have facebook as it's good for sharing photos, getting course updates... even my department uses facebook. It's a definite must if you're planning to be a course rep or similar as you need to be able to communicate easily with lots of people at once (and no one reads their emails).

Quick Reply

Latest