The Student Room Group

References on CV if you've never had a job?

Right, so if you're filling out an application form or CV and it asks for references, what do you put if you've only just finished school and never had a job before?

Would you put your teachers? If so, how would you write it?

Would it be something like...

TEACHER NAME
SCHOOL NAME
SCHOOL ADDRESS
POSTCODE
SCHOOL PHONE NUMBER?

Only issue I see with this is that it's the summer, so if they wanted to follow up a reference, the teachers wouldn't even be in school.

Any help?
Reply 1
There's teachers and also people you've known for a while but arent related to.
Reply 2
Original post by Chrisruptor
Right, so if you're filling out an application form or CV and it asks for references, what do you put if you've only just finished school and never had a job before?

TEACHER NAME
SCHOOL NAME
SCHOOL ADDRESS
POSTCODE
SCHOOL PHONE NUMBER?

Only issue I see with this is that it's the summer, so if they wanted to follow up a reference, the teachers wouldn't even be in school.

Any help?

Yes, use the teachers as a reference.The employer will know that they can't contact them through that time so if you have an interview they should already know that but still provide the info for them.
Tutors too! They're really good to get references from. If you've done any work experience then that's good to get down too.
Reply 4

TEACHER NAME
SCHOOL NAME
SCHOOL ADDRESS
POSTCODE
SCHOOL PHONE NUMBER?

Any help?

Yeh you can use a teacher and you'd write it like how you put, they usually perfer if you use one in a higher position like the head or a year head though. The fact that it's the summer hols maybe be an issue like you said. Are you allowed to use a personal reference ie: a neighbour or a parent's friend? Or use someone from your work experience placement?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i
Reply 5
Original post by gemmam
Yeh you can use a teacher and you'd write it like how you put, they usually perfer if you use one in a higher position like the head or a year head though. The fact that it's the summer hols maybe be an issue like you said. Are you allowed to use a personal reference ie: a neighbour or a parent's friend? Or use someone from your work experience placement?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i

I wonder why they would rather a year head than a teacher? :\ I have no doubt that all my teachers have a greater understanding of my personality and work ethnic than my year head who I've only really talked to a few times.

As for other people, the application in question was Tesco which I received an email saying they wouldn't be taking the application any further. The only issue I could see with my application was I included no references, but the way the form asked for them was confusing so I missed it out. It had a box for Company name, address, date started, finished and position you held and the reason why you left, none of which I could really use to write details of a family friend. I put in another application with two of my teachers, so we'll see how that pans out.

In terms of work experience, I've nothing at all. In our school we had the option to undertake work experience in 4th year, but it wasn't compulsory and I saw no use of it at the time.
Reply 6
I wonder why they would rather a year head than a teacher? :\ I have no doubt that all my teachers have a greater understanding of my personality and work ethnic than my year head who I've only really talked to a few times.

As for other people, the application in question was Tesco which I received an email saying they wouldn't be taking the application any further. The only issue I could see with my application was I included no references, but the way the form asked for them was confusing so I missed it out. It had a box for Company name, address, date started, finished and position you held and the reason why you left, none of which I could really use to write details of a family friend. I put in another application with two of my teachers, so we'll see how that pans out.

In terms of work experience, I've nothing at all. In our school we had the option to undertake work experience in 4th year, but it wasn't compulsory and I saw no use of it at the time.

I'm not sure but as you pointed out it'd make more sense to have a teacher that knows you well, I hardly had any contact with my headmaster or year head either. It was what I was told by Connexions when I was in the same boat a few years back the advice might've changed now. Good luck with your job hunt :smile:

TEACHER NAME
SCHOOL NAME
SCHOOL ADDRESS
POSTCODE
SCHOOL PHONE NUMBER?

Any help?

You make no mention of references or referees on a CV, not even References available on request.

You should ask any referees if they are prepared to give a reference for you before you give their details.

You should ring the school and try and contact someone (many staff will be in school, especially central offices during the summer), and try to arrange with them getting a message to staff. Otherwise, ask for references from people outside school who know you and aren't family.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
You make no mention of references or referees on a CV, not even References available on request.

You should ask any referees if they are prepared to give a reference for you before you give their details.

You should ring the school and try and contact someone (many staff will be in school, especially central offices during the summer), and try to arrange with them getting a message to staff. Otherwise, ask for references from people outside school who know you and aren't family.

I don't understand what you mean? Why would you ask people to be your references, if you "make no mention of references on a CV"? Or even references on request? Where else are you supposed to put them...
I don't understand what you mean? Why would you ask people to be your references, if you "make no mention of references on a CV"? Or even references on request? Where else are you supposed to put them...

Everybody can provide references, if you have just left prison your probation officer will give you a reference. In other words, there is absolutely no point in telling the employer that you have references because everyone has references. It's like telling them you'll wear a suit to interview, it's universal.

It is also not necessarily in your best interests to tell them who your Referees (the person who gives you a reference) are before you have to. Most usually, certainly for professional/career jobs, an employer does not ask for references until you are the person they are making the job offer to (slightly different in jobs like teaching, where they often take references before interview). If you go to interview and the employer quizzes you unexpectedly but deeply about your teamwork (for example) then if they offer you the job, 'subject to references' and ask you to provide contact details for your Referees you might be better off giving them one lecturer and the coach of your sports team (who will be able to talk up your teamwork skills) rather than say 2 tutors.

In other words, it is in your interests to find out as much as possible about the job, the employer and what the employer is looking for, before you tell them who your referees are. That way you might be able to provide a more relevant Referee.
Reply 10
References should usually cover your last 12 months of whatever you're doing (education or employment, travelling etc). So give a teacher or two, and you can always give a family friend or neighbour as a "character reference". If you do any music/theatre/dance give the group leader's details. But as has been said above, references should be given on request. Have a word document with 2 or 3 people's details, but DON'T include them in your CV
Reply 11
I don't have references for my CV but job applications I get always ask for references
Why would you ask people to be your references

Just to add what has been said so authoritatively by Threeportdrift, you should always ask your referee for their permission to use them as a reference before doing so, partly as a matter of courtesy and partly to avoid embarrassing yourself should the referee not wish to write quite such a glowing reference as you anticipated.
Reply 13
Original post by threeportdrift
Everybody can provide references, if you have just left prison your probation officer will give you a reference. In other words, there is absolutely no point in telling the employer that you have references because everyone has references. It's like telling them you'll wear a suit to interview, it's universal.

It is also not necessarily in your best interests to tell them who your Referees (the person who gives you a reference) are before you have to. Most usually, certainly for professional/career jobs, an employer does not ask for references until you are the person they are making the job offer to (slightly different in jobs like teaching, where they often take references before interview). If you go to interview and the employer quizzes you unexpectedly but deeply about your teamwork (for example) then if they offer you the job, 'subject to references' and ask you to provide contact details for your Referees you might be better off giving them one lecturer and the coach of your sports team (who will be able to talk up your teamwork skills) rather than say 2 tutors.

In other words, it is in your interests to find out as much as possible about the job, the employer and what the employer is looking for, before you tell them who your referees are. That way you might be able to provide a more relevant Referee.

Ok, I think I understand now. So I just don't include any references section at all on my CV? What about in respect to application forms which specifically ask for references and have a references section to fill in? I was asking with reference to the Tesco form, but you it isn't as easily accessible, so here's another one from Toys R Us. http://www.toysrus.co.uk/medias/sys_master/8609571964383072.pdf
Go to page 3 and they ask for references. :s-smilie:
Ok, I think I understand now. So I just don't include any references section at all on my CV? What about in respect to application forms which specifically ask for references and have a references section to fill in? I was asking with reference to the Tesco form, but you it isn't as easily accessible, so here's another one from Toys R Us. http://www.toysrus.co.uk/medias/sys_master/8609571964383072.pdf
Go to page 3 and they ask for references. :s-smilie:

You give the information when asked for it, obviously. You never volunteer it.
Just be thankful you're not going for a role that requires two character references, neither of which are allowed to be a:
friend
relative
former employer
friend of a friend
etc.

some requests for references go beyond what can reasonably be asked from somebody. I don't even know if I have a GP let alone what they're called.
Reply 16
Original post by Llamageddon
Just be thankful you're not going for a role that requires two character references, neither of which are allowed to be a:
friend
relative
former employer
friend of a friend
etc.

some requests for references go beyond what can reasonably be asked from somebody. I don't even know if I have a GP let alone what they're called.

Woah, that's crazy! I'd be interested to know what kind of jobs want references but not from employers. :s-smilie:
Woah, that's crazy! I'd be interested to know what kind of jobs want references but not from employers. :s-smilie:
Oh no, they want references from employers too. Just not character references.

And this was for merseyside police.
Original post by sianers
There's teachers and also people you've known for a while but arent related to.

So.. could you put your friend down as a reference?
Reply 19
Teachers and tutors are good as references. You can also mention things you've done on your free time, that you are skilled at, as experience. I did that in my first CV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending