The Student Room Group

Top Top Uni Offers !!

Even though you may not have the required grades for your desired course, is it still worth applying for top top uni's like Oxford and UCL simply because of your UCAS Statement. How likely is it that they would give you an interview ??
Reply 1
Original post by studenty
Even though you may not have the required grades for your desired course, is it still worth applying for top top uni's like Oxford and UCL simply because of your UCAS Statement. How likely is it that they would give you an interview ??

Depends on the course.

Here's some stats for Oxford: http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_admissions_statistics/courses.html

If you applied for classics (95.9% shortlisted) there's a chance you could be but if it was E&M (29.8% shortlisted) you'd have virtually no chance.

Just so you know UCL won't interview for every course.

You do have 5 choices so there's nothing wrong with having one outside chance, just make sure your other 4 are all around the grades you're predicted, probably with one slightly below, and don't pin all your hopes on it.

Also, if you did get an offer it will still probably (though not definitely) be the normal one and you will in all likelihood still need to get those grades.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by roh
Depends on the course.

Here's some stats for Oxford: http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_admissions_statistics/courses.html

If you applied for classics (95.9% shortlisted) there's a chance you could be but if it was E&M (29.8% shortlisted) you'd have virtually no chance.

Just so you know UCL won't interview for every course.

You do have 5 choices so there's nothing wrong with having one outside chance, just make sure your other 4 are all around the grades you're predicted, probably with one slightly below, and don't pin all your hopes on it.

Also, if you did get an offer it will still probably (though not definitely) be the normal one and you will in all likelihood still need to get those grades.

I guess your right, it seems annoying that pretty much every top uni values maths so significantly !! especially computer science courses (got a C at GCSE). Suppose there is always the off chance that I could sell myself with the UCAS statement to mildly good ones 15-25 in an attempt to grab a place...
Reply 3
I guess your right, it seems annoying that pretty much every top uni values maths so significantly !! especially computer science courses (got a C at GCSE). Suppose there is always the off chance that I could sell myself with the UCAS statement to mildly good ones 15-25 in an attempt to grab a place...

Fraid I don't know about CompSci in particular but if you do well at Maths AS that should make up for the below average performance at GCSE, after all the AS is the harder qualification.

In that case you may also need to check if there is a minimum GCSE grade they ask for in Maths. Again your AS would over ride this but if they filter automatically based on say B at GCSE you could be out before they see your PS, so you'd get in direct contact with the uni to ask them what their policy is and alert them to your situation.

I've heard of people with no GCSEs get onto courses after ringing up and explaining their situation to the admissions tut, but this might not happen if you just submit your UCAS and all they can do is compare you to all other candidates, so I'd say it's a good idea to get in touch.

It seems annoying that pretty much every top uni values maths so significantly !! especially computer science courses (got a C at GCSE).

Original post by roh
if you do well at Maths AS that should make up for the below average performance at GCSE, after all the AS is the harder qualification.
In that case you may also need to check if there is a minimum GCSE grade they ask for in Maths.

Computer Science is a very mathematical subject, especially the way we teach it here at Oxford. Our courses start from first principles: we're not looking for any specific knowledge of computing from our candidates (but we are looking for genuine enthusiasm for the subject). We are very much looking for students who have developed their mathematical thinking, and have the potential to be able to cope with the maths required for the course.

We don't have any specific requirements for GCSE. Yes, of course we'd like to see excellent grades, especially in Maths, but there's no fixed GCSE requirements. A C grade in Maths is certainly going to raise some questions about your application (so if there's a good reason get your referee to tell us in the reference) but it's not insurmountable. As long as you did well in other parts of the application (ie the maths-based aptitude test, and if invited the interview) it wouldn't rule you out. We're looking to get an overall impression of what you can do, so one blip isn't going to put an end to your application.

You would need to convince the tutors that you can achieve the standard offer for the course (and then go on to achieve it). Our standard offer is for achieved A Levels, not predicted ones - it's not uncommon for us to see an application who's predicted scores are a grade or so off. We don't automatically put these people out of the running - however good teachers are, predicted grades can still be wrong. (If you'd already completed your A Levels, and then applied with grades below our requirements that would be a different matter.) Our standard offer for A Level-taking candidates is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. So Math A Level, or equivalent is essential (this is not a negotiable point), and we really recommend Further Maths, although we know that some schools don't offer it. If you've had the chance to take Further Maths, but have chosen not to, we'd be asking questions. Especially on top of a weaker GCSE score.

If you're on course for good grades in Maths (and preferably Further Maths) at A Level, the poor GCSE result is less of an issue. But if Maths really isn't your thing you should probably think carefully about if Computer Science at Oxford is for you. There's lots of information on the website to give you an idea of the content of the courses, and just how much maths there is involved.

I also suggest you take a look at the past papers for the aptitude test. As a rough guide those who were interviewed in the last admissions round got over 50%.

I hope that's of help.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Those entry requirements are there to show you (more or less) what kind of grades are offered for a place on the course. Of course, you could apply and see what happens (no real reason not to), but note that if your predicted are less than the requirements then you'll be at a disadvantage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending