Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Horrible painful coughing

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

For the last few days I've had a really irritated airway and keep coughing. It's worse when I'm outside or somewhere I would perceive as being polluted. I don't have coughing fits, just one or two really long, dry coughs like I'm trying to force something up... I can feel when I'm going to cough as I get a tickle beforehand. It's been hard enough to give me a persistent headache and sometimes earache as well.

I know everyone is going to say 'go to the doctors' but frankly, they are almost always useless and treat me like crap. I know I am very overweight but because of that, I just get treated like a lazy fatty who is being a hypochondriac to escape exercise.

Unless I go in with an exact idea of what condition I have and what medication I think I do or don't need they just seem to sit there on Google which I can usually manage myself. I just want to know if this sounds enough like something serious such as asthma or bronchitis that I should bother seeing a doctor or whether I should just keep inhaling cough mixture for another week.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It may be Teberculosis- get it checked out, it can be serious. Good luck.

Even if you've had the vaccine?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If its there for a few days then the doctor would be right to send you away without treatment, it's most likely a virus.

It does not sound like asthma.

Bronchitis is a possibility, as is an upper respiratory tract infection - the treatment for either after a few days would be sleep, drink plenty of water, eat well and rest some more.

Keep the cough for a few weeks, start bringing blood up, get a raging fever etc. then you might get more than advice.

Obviously - if you're worried, have any doubts, or don't get better, or get worse, then go to the doctor.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 7, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.