Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My first actual cricket bat

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here's the deal. I have played cricket for my high school & am a member of my uni's cricket team, however I don't actually own a bat (as a result I cant actually practice when I'm home :|). I was wondering a) what bats on the market are good for sub £120 price range and b) is there any intrabrand differences between the bats (ie is there a difference betweeen addidas palera, libro and incurza, all of which cost the same)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    There will be differences, in size and weight. The best way to choose a cricket bat is to allow a coach to watch your game and then let him make a recommendation, and also to try it out first (this is more important). In general, aim for a lighter bat, because timing and placement are the essence of good batting, not brute force.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    icket bats are offered with a broad array of attributes, and choosing a single is a quite personalized choice. There are no appropriate or incorrect bats, just the 1 that feels right for you. Of these attributes, size and "pick-up" or "feel" are notably important.The leading of the bat take care of need to achieve the best of a player's thigh, permitting him to consider guard with his bodyweight evenly balanced on both ft, and with his eyes level going through the bowler.The fat of cricket bats varies from around 1lb 11oz for the smallest junior bat to 3lb 4oz for the heaviest entire measurement bat, though anything above 3lb requires substantial power to wield.Nonetheless, the ease of "select-up" of a bat while batting is more essential than its absolute bodyweight, and is dependent on both the bat measurement and how the excess weight is dispersed about the blade. Various batsmen desire diverse "select-up", so its essential to get the feel of several bats before generating a choice.Decide on-up affects bat handle, which must be exercised only by the batsman's "top rated hand" on the bat handle - this is the left hand for a right handed batsman. If he can't play strokes with his best hand alone then the bat is far too hefty his method will suffer and disappointment will adhere to. It is particularly essential for junior batsmen to stay away from this, so that they understand the correct technique and get pleasure from batting.Other functions impacting a bat's functionality and balance are slight curvature of the bat confront to bring the position of impact with the ball beneath the batsman's eyes, and bat deal with technologies and varying manage thickness that provides every single model a diverse experience and overall flexibility.Cricket bats are made of willow, a soft good grained wooden. Glimpse for 7 or 8 straight grains in the willow across a bat's face for the ideal sensitivity and longevity. Fewer grains are a lot more durable but a lot less vulnerable, much more grains are a lot more delicate and significantly less tough.Prior to use, "untreated" new bats need oiling lightly with raw linseed oil, then, "knocking in" with an outdated ball or a bat mallet, to compress the fibers of the willow on the face and edges in preparation for hitting a difficult cricket ball. Knocking in a new bat can just take many hrs.Even so, many new bats are now pre-knocked in and oiled, with a clear anti-scuff cover used to encounter and edges to enhance longevity. These bats only require about forty five minutes to a single hour of knocking in, and a light covering of oil on uncovered components of the blade. Yet another addition may be a rubberized toe guard, to prevent damp seeping into the willow. These extras are excellent news for all players, specifically young ones who will be eager to use their new bat as soon as feasible.Most cricket bat makers use a star rating method to indicate the top quality of a bat - the much more stars, the greater the good quality of the willow and/or the level of engineering of the bat. However, top rated of the array bats are unnecessary for most gamers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the tips. I personally like light bats however I have only used ss and gm bats in high school and uni respectively. does anybody know of any light bats that have a large sweetspot , are light yet can hit heavy (all for under£120-130).
    also can somebody explain to me what do they mean by willow grade and if it makes any difference to endurance of bat / to how well balls are played off the bat.
    out of curiousity, are junior bats any good for people that are between 18-21?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forceps)
    thanks for the tips. I personally like light bats however I have only used ss and gm bats in high school and uni respectively. does anybody know of any light bats that have a large sweetspot , are light yet can hit heavy (all for under£120-130).
    also can somebody explain to me what do they mean by willow grade and if it makes any difference to endurance of bat / to how well balls are played off the bat.
    out of curiousity, are junior bats any good for people that are between 18-21?
    A high grade willow will have the most grains across the bat. Lower graded willow will play worse but last longer. It should be English willow. This info may be like, 10 years out of date though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    don't worry about the grains mate, as long as they are straight up and down the bat it doesn't matter how many there are.

what matters is how the bat picks up - i.e. how it feels when you're at the top of your backswing. it should be light enough that you can adjust your stroke and feel comfortable.

http://www.seriouscricket.co.uk/shop....php/2481/607/

http://www.seriouscricket.co.uk/shop....php/3597/983/

http://www.seriouscricket.co.uk/shop....php/2983/974/

here's a few bats i've used in the past few months that i know are decent cause i just moved here so i haven't bought a bat so i've been borrowing :P
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to buy a perfectly good bat for £80-100. You really need to go check them out in the shop. Aim for one with good thick edges and toe - less likely to crack. I've had £150 bats that broke within a season and £70 bats that lasted for years.

How heavy you want it depends on your strength. I use a 3lb bat but then I'm 6'3 and pretty strong and can wield it like its a twig. Other people use 2lb 6 bats and they still look like they can't control it very well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im between 5"6 and 5"8 which poses a problem for bat sizes. That said i have practiced with SH bats and am ok eith it in nets
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing is to go and try it. I got given a bat for Christmas a couple of years ago and to be honest it doesn't really help me when batting. My dad should have known better seems as he use to play cricket at school as well. I do have to get around to actually finding the right bat for me. I'm atrocious at batting anyway but would like a higher average than what I currently have, think it might be around 3-5. High score is a huge 8 (two boundaries).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok iv tried a variety of bats and am stuck between the grey-nicholls oblivion and kookaburra blade blitz. I have yet to try the adidas bats and the kookaburra kahuna so would be grateful on feedback on the bats.
    Incidentally, which adidas bat is better between pellara, incurza and libro?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as better, there is just ones that you personally like and ones you don't.

The only absolute advice is to buy one with (at least) one inch thick edges and toe because it will almost certainly last longer.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 18, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.