The Student Room Group

bearings question

An aeroplane flies from airport A to airport B 80 km away on a bearing of 070∘. From B the aeroplane flies to airport C, 60 km from B. Airport C is 90 km from A. Find the two possible directions for the course set by the aeroplane on the second stage of its journey.
I got theta to be 78.6 but I can't work out the bearings, for some reason I keep getting the wrong answer when trying to figure it out as shown below:

I do 360 - (70 + 2(78.6)) and get 132.8 which is incorrect and this is for only one of the bearings, I have no idea how to work out the other, I just keep seeing it as from due north, but the answer is 323.6...

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do not see how theta is 78.6

The Cosine Rule gives a different answer

the 70 marked in your diagram is not correct ... why do you think that C1 is North of B
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
I do not see how theta is 78.6

The Cosine Rule gives a different answer

the 70 marked in your diagram is not correct ... why do you think that C1 is North of B

I done: costheta = (6^2+8^2-9^2)/(2*6*8) then found theta to be 78.6

Does it really matter where C1 is, as it's just asking for the two possible directions
Reply 3
Sorry, yes the 78.6 is right (I used 70 instead of 60 because of your diagram :frown:)
Reply 4
Original post by zoxe

Does it really matter where C1 is, as it's just asking for the two possible directions

The 2 possible positions of C are defined by the angle theta

Whilst I agree with 78.6, I can't see why you're doing "360 - (70 + 2(78.6))", and I don't agree with the book; I make it 328.6 for one.
Reply 6
Original post by ghostwalker
Whilst I agree with 78.6, I can't see why you're doing "360 - (70 + 2(78.6))", and I don't agree with the book; I make it 328.6 for one.

How did you get 328.6? I'm doing 360-(70+2(78.6)) because all the angles add up to 360 around the point B, two of those angles are theta, i.e 78.6 and the other is 70. The book has done 180 + 70 - theta and 180 + 70 - theta and I can see what theyve done and how they have done it but I don't really know why the way i'm doing it does not work.
Reply 7

also, you are right, the book is wrong on one of them.
Reply 8
i get
328.6 and 171.4
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
i get
298.6 and 171.4

the book has answers 171.4 and 328.6
Original post by zoxe
the book has answers 171.4 and 328.6

yes, sorry a mis read

That is what I get
Using For Working Out Stuff P71.png
If AB is a straight line then theta is 110 isn't it? Surely:s-smilie:

Theta being the angle marked θ\theta in the diagram.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by SubAtomic
If AB is a straight line then theta is 110 isn't it? Surely:s-smilie:

It would be if C1 were North of B but it isn't
Reply 14

I don't understand your working, could you explain?

Also the diagram is from the solutions page, I've just added the red parts, i.e my working.
(edited 11 years ago)

Based on that diagram in the OP theta represents 110? If the plane is traveling at a bearing 070?

Or is it the case in text books that theta can represent different values even without being written θ2\theta_2
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16

Okay with your diagram it's so simple, how did you know C1 and C2 were drawn that way?
Might help (I used "t" for theta).
Reply 18
Might help (I used "t" for theta).

same as tenofthem, how did you know the position of C1 and C2?
So the diagram in the OPs text book is completely wrong?

Quick Reply

Latest