The Student Room Group

Real estate agencies in London

I'm looking to rent a studio in London and so far the ones I've liked (found them using zoopla) are managed by an agency called Flatland. Has anyone had any positive/not-so-positive experiences with this agency ? I'm worried about scammers and they seem to be everywhere.
Or better yet, can anyone recommend a reliable agency in London ?
Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most agents are area specific. Where abouts are you looking?
Reply 2
South-West/West London
Reply 3
No idea about the one you mentioned but in general the larger nationwide estate agents (e.g. Foxtons, Haart, Townends, Countrywide) tend to rip tenants off with expensive fees and any experienced renter would never consider using these companies.
Reply 4
Damn. How do I go about this then ? Gumtree seems to be full of scammers.
Reply 5
I tried Haart, Nelsons, Dexters, Aspire and some others.

They are all infuriating, and in the end the property I'm in I found on gumtree.
Reply 6
I live in SW London and I got my flat through Bodens and am happy with them.

The only agency I've tried to avoid is Foxtons since I hear so much bad about them.
Reply 7
Original post by snowyy
Damn. How do I go about this then ? Gumtree seems to be full of scammers.

Use http://www.rightmove.co.uk - that's the largest online property website in the UK. Almost all estate agents will advertise rental properties via there. I would miss out anything listed by the estate agents I mentioned before unless your don't mind paying fortunes in 'admin fees' just to rent the property.

Alternatively go into an area of London you want to rent in and go round all the estate agents who will have the latest list of rentals for the area.

Gumtree can be good for private rentals but I wouldn't do that unless you were experienced with renting and what to look out for.
try out Relocaters.
Reply 9
I found that most estate agents advertise their properties on gumtree.
Reply 10
Thank you! It's very frustrating.
Reply 11
I paid for flatland services. But don't need it anymore- I don't mind giving you the info for 40 quid (expires mid august) as compared to the actual payment of 99 quid.
Basically flatland has a bank of landlord numbers which ask them to advertise. It's a one off payment of 99 quid and then you have access to the daily listings- then you call them asking for the landlords number. When you the landlords number, you call them and arrange a viewing- so far using it has been a positive experience.

I would use them but my living situation has changed and finding a listing for a 4 bedded in the area I'm interested in is crazy.

Inbox me if you are interested.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by snowyy
Thank you! It's very frustrating.

Read the pervious post by me :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
Thank you, butter_god, but I am still undecided as to what to do.
Reply 14
By the way, any idea why their website says that their appointment-making service costs £61.50 and not £99? Hm, hope we're talking about the same thing.
Reply 15
Original post by snowyy
By the way, any idea why their website says that their appointment-making service costs £61.50 and not £99? Hm, hope we're talking about the same thing.

I'd seriously advise paying for a tenancy finder service. Complete waste of money - there's more choice of properties to be had via other free sources.

All you need to do is have a look at the listings on right move. Loads of rental properties uploaded each day from almost every estate agent in London. Easy.
Reply 16
Original post by snowyy

Well, I have a bill to prove it to you? I distinctly remember paying 99 quid for 3 months access.

If anything, just give them a call- Natalie is amazing to talk to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by butter_god
Well, I have a bill to prove it to you? I distinctly remember paying 99 quid for 3 months access.

If anything, just give them a call- Natalie is amazing to talk to.

Yes. I'm guessing they've changed their fees.
Reply 18
Original post by tsnake23
I'd seriously advise paying for a tenancy finder service. Complete waste of money - there's more choice of properties to be had via other free sources.

All you need to do is have a look at the listings on right move. Loads of rental properties uploaded each day from almost every estate agent in London. Easy.

Most properties on rightmove are marketed by Interlet, Flatland etc..
Reply 19
Original post by snowyy
Most properties on rightmove are marketed by Interlet, Flatland etc..

Snowwy, as I have previously mentioned, I will give you my Flatland pass for 40 quid as I have no need for it anymore (considering I'm not in Europe, it's almost useless).

Good luck house hunting!

Quick Reply

Latest