The Student Room Group

Apply for Economics with my poor GCSE's?

Hi,

I am thinking of applying to these Uni's:

Bath- Politics with Economics AAA
Birmingham- Economics AAA
Lancaster- Philosophy, Politics and Economics AAB
Keele Uni- Philosophy and Economics ABC
Southampton- Philosophy and Economics AAB

GCSE Grades:

Business and Economics-A
ICT-A
RE-A
Maths-B(retaking this November to get an A)
Double Sci-BB
Eng Lit-B
Eng lang-C(might retake this aswell)
Art-C
French-D

Considering i achieve these grades for my AS levels

Maths-A
Economics-A
RE-A
Politics-A
Chemistry-A
ICT-C

Would there be any point in applying to those uni's stated above?

Thanks
Reply 1
To be honest, I think there would. That is a massive improvement in academic performance from GCSE to AS level and I think they will recognise that (depending on what your predicted A2s are). Also, stay on the safe side and apply to 1 or 2 unis that have slightly lower entry requirements.
Reply 2
I thought Economics and Politics at Bath was A*AA?

If you get those grades at AS, or in the region AAB, with an A in Maths, I'd recommend you be a bit more ambitious, perhaps replace Keele with York or Leeds. But otherwise, you're GCSEs aren't exactly dire, just make sure you get at least a B in English Language, and aim for an A at GCSE Maths (if you can get an A at AS maths, you should be able to ace GCSE!)
Original post by FDR

If you get those grades at AS, or in the region AAB, with an A in Maths, I'd recommend you be a bit more ambitious, perhaps replace Keele with York or Leeds. But otherwise, you're GCSEs aren't exactly dire, just make sure you get at least a B in English Language, and aim for an A at GCSE Maths (if you can get an A at AS maths, you should be able to ace GCSE!)

Thanks for the reply
Yh I should've retaken GCSE Maths earlier, I should be able to ace it this time round :biggrin:
Yep I'll also retake GCSE English

Politics with Economics is AAA(economics is minor in this course)

Politics and Economics is A*AA( politics and economics are equal)

Thanks for the help
Original post by FDR

If my GCSE retakes are successful and am predicted:
Maths- A
Economics-A*/A
RE- A
Politics- A*/A

do you think it will be safe to apply to York(PPE AAA) instead of Keele?

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Philosophy&Econ
If my GCSE retakes are successful and am predicted:
Maths- A
Economics-A*/A
RE- A
Politics- A*/A

do you think it will be safe to apply to York(PPE AAA) instead of Keele?

Thanks

Yeah, I'd say if you can get predicted an A* in something, (anything), that would help you get an offer - the offer for PPE is AAA for people with maths, and they strongly prefer maths, so you will be at an advantage.

I think you're grades are good enough that you don't need to play it so safe so as to apply to Keele, but if you feel less confident, or you're exams go slightly worse than expected, (ie you get predicted AAB), then you could apply for economics and politics or economics and philosophy at York which I think has a slightly lower offer of AAB.

Do you plan to do four A2's or are you planning to drop one?
Original post by FDR
Yeah, I'd say if you can get predicted an A* in something, (anything), that would help you get an offer - the offer for PPE is AAA for people with maths, and they strongly prefer maths, so you will be at an advantage.

I think you're grades are good enough that you don't need to play it so safe so as to apply to Keele, but if you feel less confident, or you're exams go slightly worse than expected, (ie you get predicted AAB), then you could apply for economics and politics or economics and philosophy at York which I think has a slightly lower offer of AAB.

Do you plan to do four A2's or are you planning to drop one?

Thanks, yep I'll go for York then :smile:

I'll most likely do four A2's

If you don't mind me asking did you apply for economics, any offers?

Thanks again
Reply 7
Original post by Philosophy&Econ
Thanks, yep I'll go for York then :smile:

I'll most likely do four A2's

If you don't mind me asking did you apply for economics, any offers?

Thanks again

I applied for straight Economics, and have firmed Nottingham and have York as my insurance.

When I applied, I put Royal Holloway down (which asked for ABB), and regret playing it so safe. I know it seems like I'm pushing York, but I think York, along with a few others, such as Bristol, have lower offers despite actually having very strong economics departments.
Original post by FDR
I applied for straight Economics, and have firmed Nottingham and have York as my insurance.

When I applied, I put Royal Holloway down (which asked for ABB), and regret playing it so safe. I know it seems like I'm pushing York, but I think York, along with a few others, such as Bristol, have lower offers despite actually having very strong economics departments.

Congratulations on Nottingham, I'm guessing you got straight A's for AS and gcses to get an offer from em?
Hmm, Bristol state no gcse requirements for Phil&econ degree but I'm pretty sure people with straight A's/A* at gcse apply for that course at bristol
Reply 9
If you don't mind me asking, why are you not applying to Oxford or Cambridge? I am sure you'd have a chance (you may have to re-take a few GCSEs but I'm sure you'd do well if you're achieving As at AS).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Erratic
If you don't mind me asking, why are you not applying to Oxford or Cambridge? I am sure you'd have a chance.

I wouldn't mind studying PPE at Oxford lol, but I'm sure my gcses would drag my application down also I'm pretty sure i've got a C for AS ICT(dropping anyway).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending