The Student Room Group

Higgs Boson Physicist Shunned

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Mate, get your head out the sand.

It clearly isn't always Islam, so you need to get your head out of the sand.
Original post by im so academic
For the record if this is the attitude that Pakistan takes with science, why should Western universities be accommodating to international Pakistani students? It works both ways.

Because the international students applying to Western universities aren't responsible for this?
Reply 22
Original post by im so academic
For the record if this is the attitude that Pakistan takes with science, why should Western universities be accommodating to international Pakistani students? It works both ways.

What? :confused:
Reply 23
Original post by Politricks
Did or did not religion influence this tribalism and division, to the extent that a man a nation should be proud of, is instead being disgraced?

People will always find divisions and "tribes". But I think you misunderstood my original post.
I'm an atheist and I'd never heard of him. And to be honest, I'm not quite sure I understand what he did. Given that I'm supposedly university educated and relatively very few Pakistanis are, I think that says more about science than the impact of a religion.
Original post by Norton1
People can't help who they fancy or what colour their skin is.

They can help believing in a man who lives with fairies in the clouds.

But just like coming out have you ever considered how difficult it could be for someone to defer from their religion ? How many muslim girls do you reckon here in england don't want to wear the headscarf due to people labelling and making fun of them ? Giving someone stick for their sexual orientation is as bad as bashing religion. And even though Im a born and baptised roman catholic but a no longer practising one, I believe in science 100% and the fact that my mum and dad are quite religious has never ever caused friction between us because im not the type of person that would question someone elses beliefs (outside of my head) even though I can sometimes disagree with them.
Reply 26
Original post by FrescoDiMorte
But just like coming out have you ever considered how difficult it could be for someone to defer from their religion ? How many muslim girls do you reckon here in england don't want to wear the headscarf due to people labelling and making fun of them ? Giving someone stick for their sexual orientation is as bad as bashing religion. And even though Im a born and baptised roman catholic but a no longer practising one, I believe in science 100% and the fact that my mum and dad are quite religious has never ever caused friction between us because im not the type of person that would question someone elses beliefs (outside of my head) even though I can sometimes disagree with them.

You asked why it was okay to bash religion. Not religious people.

They believe in stupid ****. Is it my fault they get offended when they're told that?
Because religion is an idea, like a political ideology, it's an idea, people should be free to attack and scrutinise any idea as much as they please; being racist or homophobic is different, being part of an ethnicity, or having a different sexual orientation, and being criticised for it, is irrational.

Idea/belief. But even though there are some religious bigots and nutcases, but dont you think people should be able to believe what they want ? After all the Bible or Quran doesn't actually tell people to hold back science I think they same something along the lines of ''Man should take advantage of God Given skills''. If there are people blowing up stuff and taking lives its of the persons own accord.
Even though im against both why do the majority of TSR think its ok to bash religion, but then chastise racists or people who disagree with homosexuality ? Genuine question

I don't call people out for their beliefs, on the contrary I'd defend their right to believe whatever they want, even if I disagree (freedom of thought). Most of my childhood friends are Catholic (some rather devout). I only bash people who say or do stupid, abhorrent things.

As it is, religions make a lot of people say and do stupid abhorrent things.

To those who say "It's always Islam," you are wrong. Christianity is just as bad, just as happened in Iraq in the 12th century when Islam snuffed out all scientific enquiry, so is and could happen in America due to Evangelical Christians.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Norton1
You asked why it was okay to bash religion. Not religious people.

They believe in stupid ****. Is it my fault they get offended when they're told that?

Religion is a part of a religious persons life is it not ? And your second comment is so stupid that could be said about anything. And you dont need to swear just because your frustrated that you can't think of a genuine reason.
Reply 30
I am very intrigued by OP. Is he constantly surfing Jihad Watch or some other BS site like that 24/7. Everytime I log onto this site and see any Islam related thread, it's always this guy that has started it.
But how does what they're doing hinder science? I don't agree with what they're doing, but nothing they are doing hinders science.
You guys are just looking for an excuse to attack Islam, as is the norm on TSR
Idea/belief. But even though there are some religious bigots and nutcases, but dont you think people should be able to believe what they want ? After all the Bible or Quran doesn't actually tell people to hold back science I think they same something along the lines of ''Man should take advantage of God Given skills''. If there are people blowing up stuff and taking lives its of the persons own accord.

What is this - does God exist thread? To be honest, you sound like an atheist in denial.

Personally, I don't think people should believe in purple unicorns because it's stupid and damaging. But freedom of expression goes both ways - if someone religious wants to make a religious statement, i.e. verbal or an item of clothing, someone else under the same doctrine has the right to say it's all a load of rubbish. You get to choose your religion, you don't get to choose your sexuality or race.
(edited 11 years ago)

How often do you find a Muslim who actually accepts evolution, despite the heavy scientific evidence supporting it? When the Qur'an teaches people that man was instantaneously made from clay, then that's clearly a barrier which is stopping creationist Muslims and creationist Christians from accepting Evolution. To deny evolution, is like denying the holocaust; clearly religion is holding back science.

There's obviously a problem when you have Muslims who believe in unscientific claims, such as man being made from clay, and when you have Christians who actually believe that the Earth is 6000 years old.

Also, nobody is forcefully making you leave your religion, your religion should always be up for debate and discussion, in the same way that political ideas are put up for debate and discussion. To compare anti-Theism to racism or homophobia is preposterous.
God we need another Hitler to get rid of these people. No not really.
Original post by Rancorous
What is this - does God exist thread? To be honest, you sound like an atheist in denial.

Personally, I don't think people should believe in purple unicorns because it's stupid and damaging. But freedom of expression goes both ways - if someone religious wants to make a religious statement, i.e. verbal or an item of clothing, someone else under the same doctrine has the right to say it's all a load of rubbish.

I am an atheist.
Reply 36
Religion is a part of a religious persons life is it not ? And your second comment is so stupid that could be said about anything. And you dont need to swear just because your frustrated that you can't think of a genuine reason.

Your problem is that you think the freedom to believe in religion is also the freedom to deny freedom of belief to others. I have the right to believe that the religious believe in a load of stupid ****. They have the right to believe in it.

Isn't it a beautiful system?
I am an atheist.

Im a born and baptised roman catholic

You said you weren't practicing, but see my confusion? It's a very weird position you're advocating. You're an atheist who is a sympathiser to religion. So you think they all believe a load of twaddle, but you also believe that we mustn't say anything about it.
(edited 11 years ago)
How often do you find a Muslim who actually accepts evolution, despite the heavy scientific evidence supporting it? When the Qur'an teaches people that man was instantaneously made from clay, then that's clearly a barrier which is stopping creationist Muslims and creationist Christians from accepting Evolution. To deny evolution, is like denying the holocaust; clearly religion is holding back science.

There's obviously a problem when you have Muslims who believe in unscientific claims, such as man being made from clay, and when you have Christians who actually believe that the Earth is 6000 years old.

Also, nobody is forcefully making you leave your religion, your religion should always be up for debate and discussion, in the same way that political ideas are put up for debate and discussion. To compare anti-Theism to racism or homophobia is preposterous.

Im not here to defend religious people or what they do honestly I couldnt care less, I just think anti-theism is as wrong as homophobia and racism.
Im not here to defend religious people or what they do honestly I couldnt care less, I just think anti-theism is as wrong as homophobia and racism.

Except it's not. Criticising religion is no worse than criticising any philosophical or political idea.

Quick Reply