Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Morgan Stanley Open Day 2012

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else been accepted/going to this?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I have as well. Heard on Friday.

Have you received the info that they are going to send us? The reason why I'm asking is that I replied to them last Friday, but I haven't heard anything since. And since today is the last day to reply, I'm wondering if anyone else has got it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donzy)
    Has anyone else been accepted/going to this?
    (Original post by 8Dom5)
    Yeah, I have as well. Heard on Friday.

Have you received the info that they are going to send us? The reason why I'm asking is that I replied to them last Friday, but I haven't heard anything since. And since today is the last day to reply, I'm wondering if anyone else has got it.
    well done guys! join the club!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunami2011)
    Do you not think making a group for an open day is slightly extreme?
    Very...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you were the idiot who kept trying to be funny and asking retarded questions today?
    (Original post by razachaudhry)
    well done guys! join the club! there's a morgan stanley open day facebook group =)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/398234226901624/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Istanbul.)
    I'm guessing you were the idiot who kept trying to be funny and asking retarded questions today?
    hahahahhaha He did that at the JP Morgan event, asked a question every bloody second started to get quite embarrasing at one point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How was the MS event then? A few friends of mine went to it.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol what did he ask?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol what did he ask?
    *people working in recruiting finish presentations about SW*

raises hand... "so hows the food like at MS?"

also said to the FO interns how he got rejected by Cambridge and ICL which was really awkward and whether he actually stood a chance from UCL -_-

also a HR guy gave a presentation explaining how banks raise capital. HR guy used an analogy of needing to lend someone 69 pounds

*puts hand up* "but you're an investment banker why don't you have 69 pounds in your pocket"

it goes on.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee)

also said to the FO interns how he got rejected by Cambridge and ICL which was really awkward and whether he actually stood a chance from UCL -_-

also a HR guy gave a presentation explaining how banks raise capital. HR guy used an analogy of needing to lend someone 69 pounds

*puts hand up* "but you're an investment banker why don't you have 69 pounds in your pocket"

it goes on.
    :facepalm2:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

it goes on.
    lol I guess he'll be remembered for better or worse. Was it an insightful day on the whole?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol I guess he'll be remembered for better or worse. Was it an insightful day on the whole?
    lol i reckon he definitely did it to get remembered.

and was alright i guess
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    We're forgetting the most cringeworthy of all: The brown-nosing reference. Accusing a group of interns that a large part of their job is brown-nosing.

But heck. He's a straightforward guy. Wants a straightforward answer.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    He asked some unreal questions, the £69 one and his dig at networking were most memorable. Are you guys intending to apply for any other pre university open days?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about anyone else. But during the revenue interns panel did you notice when 2 interns(oxbridge) just happened to say "Well most of my friends were doing spring weeks so I decided I should do one too"
    Obviously I don't know what their particular situations are. I got the impression that they didn't really have any relevant work experience before .
    Would this be common for other people who manage to get spring weeks or do you think they managed it because they went to oxbridge?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WishWash12)
    I don't know about anyone else. But during the revenue interns panel did you notice when 2 interns(oxbridge) just happened to say "Well most of my friends were doing spring weeks so I decided I should do one too"
    Obviously I don't know what their particular situations are. I got the impression that they didn't really have any relevant work experience before .
    Would this be common for other people who manage to get spring weeks or do you think they managed it because they went to oxbridge?

I'd say common.

Not many would have the opportunity to get relevant work exp.

If Ibanks were only interested in Oxbridge students they'd only visit their campuses.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WishWash12)

You don't really need work experience prior to university, but it can help. What I've picked up from going to days like this is that unless you've actually done productive work experience, it can count against you. For example, if you did a 10 week intern in FO pre university and have embellished it on your they will ask you technical questions when you apply for SWs, however, if you haven't got any experience they won't or will keep it to a minimum and will focus on the core competencies and your skillset.

I personally think the bar is slightly lower for Oxbridge i.e met someone who did archaeology and anthropology at Cambridge and someone who did Arabic and Classics at Oxford (?) at GS both in IBD. Also, if you go to Oxbridge, you're more likely to have 'connections' who can easily get you onto a SW.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't really need work experience prior to university, but it can help. What I've picked up from going to days like this is that unless you've actually done productive work experience, it can count against you. For example, if you did a 10 week intern in FO pre university and have embellished it on your they will ask you technical questions when you apply for SWs, however, if you haven't got any experience they won't or will keep it to a minimum and will focus on the core competencies and your skillset.

I personally think the bar is slightly lower for Oxbridge i.e met someone who did archaeology and anthropology at Cambridge and someone who did Arabic and Classics at Oxford (?) at GS both in IBD. Also, if you go to Oxbridge, you're more likely to have 'connections' who can easily get you onto a SW.
    But neither is surprising seeing as you can do any degree for IBD. They've still got the uni name on the CV.

Lol connections for SW? seems like some conspiracy s***
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    But neither is surprising seeing as you can do any degree for IBD. They've still got the uni name on the CV.

Lol connections for SW? seems like some conspiracy s***
    tbh connections can probably get you the summer internship from what I hear i.e ( if you've got a relative who is a MD/VP).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

it goes on.

Go on, give us more, this is hilarious!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 18, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.