The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jackmb
I have a 2:1 degree. Yay!

Congrats to everybody else!

Well done! :woo: :awesome: :banana: :yeah: :cool: :congrats: :yay: :danceboy: :party: :woo:
Original post by Salliana23
I ended up missing a first by 8 marks, partly due to lack of work :redface: My lab partner goes to Merton (you may know him), he came top in the year so I was never going to live up to that! :smile: Good luck with your results, I'm sure you've done really well :smile:

Original post by pinkpenguin
I never realised how much of a relief seeing 'Second Class Division One' would be. Huzzah.

Probably better get the job hunt well underway now.. lacking excuses like 'my CV isn't up to date with my classification'

Original post by jackmb

Original post by LtCommanderData
Haha, OK, good. I feel slightly less guilty about it now :tongue:

Congrats everyone! :rave: It's been nearly two weeks since I got my results, but I thought I'd join in: I averaged 59 again this year (got a 2:1 in 5 of my 7 papers (one of which I was convinced would be in the low 50's, so yay!) but averaged a high 3rd over the two Physical Chemistry papers :mad2::no:. I did, however, get 75 in labs :crazy: so I'm currently averaging 61 overall. :yeah:
Some people I know now need insanely low marks next year for a 2:1 overall. I need 56, whereas others technically don't even need to hand in a thesis! :sigh:

Also, did anyone else feel slightly sad filing their notes away after finals were over? Don't get me wrong, it's great to no longer have the pressure of knowing it all, but so much effort has gone into learning it all over the last three years! :unsure:
Original post by Jeykayem
Congrats everyone! :rave: It's been nearly two weeks since I got my results, but I thought I'd join in: I averaged 59 again this year (got a 2:1 in 5 of my 7 papers (one of which I was convinced would be in the low 50's, so yay!) but averaged a high 3rd over the two Physical Chemistry papers :mad2::no:. I did, however, get 75 in labs :crazy: so I'm currently averaging 61 overall. :yeah:
Some people I know now need insanely low marks next year for a 2:1 overall. I need 56, whereas others technically don't even need to hand in a thesis! :sigh:

Also, did anyone else feel slightly sad filing their notes away after finals were over? Don't get me wrong, it's great to no longer have the pressure of knowing it all, but so much effort has gone into learning it all over the last three years! :unsure:

Well done you! :awesome: :woo: :danceboy: :congrats: :yay: :party: :rave: :yeah: :cool: :awesome:

75 in labs is insane! :eek: Very impressed :holmes:
Nothing compared to having an actual degree from Oxford but I just got my Prelims results and I (scraped) a distinction :biggrin: So happy right now.
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Nothing compared to having an actual degree from Oxford but I just got my Prelims results and I (scraped) a distinction :biggrin: So happy right now.

Well done you! That's a fantastic achievement! :awesome: :woo: :yeah: :dance: :banana: :cool: :awesome:
Reply 8745

Wow... assessed labs. That would have terrified me. The most terrifying thing we ever imagined was having to sign off a PTCL lab with Logan or Manolopoulos.

Good part II lined up?
Reply 8746
Original post by cpchem
Wow... assessed labs. That would have terrified me...

Yeah, weird -might've bumped Mr Elles up a class if they'd existed back in the day! :tongue:

Two trips back to Oxford coming up (need to test out some new places in the places to eat thread...) including finally a College wedding. :hoppy:
Oxford not being a student & not having a student-sized-budget does have its perks!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla
Well done - me too! Wasn't expecting that at all :biggrin:

Well done! :woo: :rave: :party: :danceboy: :yay: :woo:

Well done!!!! Especially with the first in assessed labs, that's so good! :biggrin: what are you doing for Part II?

Well done! :biggrin: Amazing that you both got distinctions, can't believe how may papers Modern Languages people had compared to everyone else...
Original post by jackmb

Me too, so so relieved!! :biggrin:

Congrats to you and everyone else, and everyone with Mods/Prelims results too!
Original post by Mystic123
Me too, so so relieved!! :biggrin:

Congrats to you and everyone else, and everyone with Mods/Prelims results too!

Well done! :awesome: :woo: :danceboy: :yay: :congrats: :party: :dance: :yeah: :awesome:
Reply 8752

What's required for a distinction?

Well done! What were your best modules? A few of my literature papers were distinctly average but luckily paper I saved me. Haha Paper II was a bit of a fail for me!

Original post by Salliana23
Well done! :biggrin: Amazing that you both got distinctions, can't believe how may papers Modern Languages people had compared to everyone else...

I actually think it helped in the end - it meant that some of my lower marks didn't have as much weight as if I had done just three and did badly on one. During the week you kinda get in the swing of doing exams :smile:

Original post by Fallen
What's required for a distinction?

Well for languages you can get a distinction in specific components of the course - all linguists take 2. (I did French and Further French topics while others did French + Spanish etc...) You get a distinction if you average 70 in a component (normally 3-4 exams)

A distinction also refers to getting 70% overall (normally 7-8 exams)

It varies from subject to subject though (Modern languages is a bit of a weird case because there are so many exams) - some subjects need you to get like a 68% average with nothing lower than 60 and at least one 70+ mark.
(edited 11 years ago)
Paper II was my best, actually I (and my tutors) thought I'd do better in linguistics, but that was the best one overall. Paper III was my worst, which I sort of expected, but it would be nice to know what marks we got for each question, just so I knew if my Beckett commentary really was as bad as I thought it was! Can't complain though :biggrin:

It would be good to know specific marks for essays. I have a feeling certain essays pulled up my marks in a few exams. I felt my paper IV went much better than commentaries but I got the same mark for both...it's so hard to gauge how they will react to your work. My guess for what I got for paper I was off by 20 marks (thankfully!)

It's all a bit strange: this first year has gone by so quickly and miraculously it's all worked out...

I've chosen Modern French Linguistics for next year...I hope linguistics will be something I find rewarding - it seems to divide people's opinions...

ME TOO :eek:

and I got 71 on the paper that I thought I'd be lucky to scrape a 2:1 on...eek swishy gown next year <3
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by flywithemma

and I got 71 on the paper that I thought I'd be lucky to scrape a 2:1 on...eek swishy gown next year <3

Well done! :banana: :awesome: :woo: :party: :yay: :banana:
passed my prelims, yay. rather irked, though, because it seems like i could've gone for a distinction if i had had the right mindset from the start, but hopefully i can confirm this ambition for something more valuable than a swishy gown over the course of the next two years
Original post by MrCarmady
passed my prelims, yay. rather irked, though, because it seems like i could've gone for a distinction if i had had the right mindset from the start, but hopefully i can confirm this ambition for something more valuable than a swishy gown over the course of the next two years

Well done! Not to worry about not having had the right mindset at the start. Sometimes things just click in second year, or even third year, and you can take it from there. You also have more motivation because the exams count and you want a good final result :yes:

Your smilies:

:awesome: :woo: :banana: :danceboy: :biggrin: :party: :awesome:
Original post by flywithemma

Well done Emma, great news :clap2: