Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is like to live in London?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm going to finish my degree this year and then try to find a job. So I'm trying to consider where I should start my career/life.

Currently, I live in the west midlands and so far I don't have nothing bad to say about this region. Actually, if I would find a job opportunity in this region I would take it.

But my problem is that now all the good job opportunities that I'm finding are in London. I'm a bit reluctant to go to London because I have this idea that London is a very expensive place and maybe isn't the best place for a someone that is just starting.

I would like to know your opinions.

An opinion from someone that lives in London would be really appreciated (other people can contribute as well).

My question are:
    1. How is like the life style in London?
    2. Do you thing that is a good place to start?
    3. How difficult is to find accommodation? either shared house or small studio with good conditions.
    4. How expensive is a night out?
    5. Are the transport expensive?
    6. Do you think that the difference of salary that you get in London in comparison with the other places is worth it?
    7. How is like the people in London?

I have been to London quite a few times but I was there for a short period of time, just visiting friends.

Thanks for your time.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fast-paced, when I first came to London I was overwhelmed by how busy it is, and how much of a rush everybody seems to be in all the time It quickly becomes the norm though.

Not sure what you mean, a good place to find work? More so than most of the rest of the country at the moment, but nowhere near as easy as it used to be.

3. How difficult is to find accommodation? either shared house or small studio with good conditions.
    Finding a room in a flat is easy. If you want somewhere to yourself then expect to pay a lot more, unless you're willing to move right out into the suburbs.

Depends where you're going, but in general expect to pay more than you're probably used to.

Cheaper than most of the rest of the UK. But again it depends, commuting into zone 1 is fine if you don't live too far out, but as soon as you get past zone 2 it starts getting expensive.

6. Do you think that the difference of salary that you get in London in comparison with the other places is worth it?
    For me, yes, but in general the higher salaries don't make up the difference in terms of rent and cost of living.

My favourite thing about London is the diversity, you meet people from all over the world. People say Londoners are rude but in my experience most people are friendly enough
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    [B]
    Not sure what you mean, a good place to find work? More so than most of the rest of the country at the moment, but nowhere near as easy as it used to be.
    I mean, start your life, like you come from somewhere else, trying to find a job and get started with your life.

In your experience which one is the average price from a good room (or at least a okay room) in an okay area.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wdreamer)
    I mean, start your life, like you come from somewhere else, trying to find a job and get started with your life.

In your experience which one is the average price from a good room (or at least a okay room) in an okay area.
    I guess so yeah, just remember the streets aren't paved with gold!

It really depends where you want to live. Anywhere close to zone 1 you'll pay £700pm+ for a double room in a house share. If you don't mind living further out you'll pay less, we live in zone 6 and pay the same price for a 2 bed flat as a lot of people do for a double room in zone 2.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Full of crime unless you live in west london.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    My question are:
    Busy but fun. I don't think I will live in London after I'm done studying here - I've lived several places and I do enjoy London but I don't find it a beautiful city and not very 'genuine'. In places like Paris you have a distinctive culture, London is very much a melting pot. Most people I know here are foreign, or half something. On the plus side, if you come from somewhere else, everybody is in the same position.
    How 'busy' your life will be depends entirely on what you want. I'm not a person who schedules my days to be busy, but I find that I lose a lot of time going from place to place and that it requires a lot of planning. I do evening courses in other subjects and next semester I will join a gym. It takes time to get from A to B, I definitely feel like I lose a lot of time that way.

Yes I moved here because I came from a smaller city in France (not my hometown, somewhere I stayed 2 yrs) and needed a bigger city.
    I wanted to really 'take in' London and experience it, just so I know what it's like and I have something to compare with. I've been here a year and have to stay another 1 1/2. But after that, I'm done with it.

You need to be really active on the market. For small studios, it's pretty intense - a lot of people are in the market for that. It depends on how picky you are, but you really have to start early, if you're going in September, don't start mid-August.
    It's **** expensive though. If you want to be in a nice area in Central London, expect to pay up. Especially if you're living alone. A studio will start at 300 a week. I live in a 1 bed in Chelsea, and it's 500 a week. Obviously there are cheaper areas, but as long as you want to live central, it won't be that much cheaper. I have a friend who lives in Angel/Islington, renting a room, and she pays 200 a week. The area is not so nice, but she has an okay standard.

Depends entirely on where you go, I go out in Mayfair mostly, and it's expensive. If you like to party, you need to calculate in those costs. I haven't been out anywhere else in the UK, so I don't have that to compare with. But IMO, in terms of nightlife, you get what you pay for.

I take the bus (hate the tube), and have a student Oyster. I think it's 2.20 per ride or something. I do end up taking taxis a lot too, when I'm suddenly short with time, as I often am. I take taxis home on nights out.

I am looking for a job now, so I can't tell you what it's like compared to other places. But opportunities are obviously much greater in the bigger cities. All I know is the salaries in the UK, no matter where you work, are a lot smaller than what I'm used to.

International. As it's big and busy, you have to be prepared that it's quite ego-centric - people think about themselves most of all. But I've made friends here and don't find it a problem.

Thanks for your time.[/QUOTE]
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends what area..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wdreamer)
    Basically, I'm going to finish my degree this year and then try to find a job. So I'm trying to consider where I should start my career/life.

Currently, I live in the west midlands and so far I don't have nothing bad to say about this region. Actually, if I would find a job opportunity in this region I would take it.

But my problem is that now all the good job opportunities that I'm finding are in London. I'm a bit reluctant to go to London because I have this idea that London is a very expensive place and maybe isn't the best place for a someone that is just starting.

I would like to know your opinions.

An opinion from someone that lives in London would be really appreciated (other people can contribute as well).

My question are:

I have been to London quite a few times but I was there for a short period of time, just visiting friends.

Thanks for your time.
    Dont want to be negative but London can be a pretty f**k up place to live imo.
    Because it is a capital city the good and the bad are all living quite close to each other. The advantage to that is you can see and meet some really beautiful people/girls from around the world here. Its multicultural. Unless your a racist and dont like that sort of thing (see "my tram experience" in youtube)

1. Busy, crowded, wet (on a bad day) and lively.

2. London can be a good place to work in the nice areas like central london & liverpool st. Old st. Depends What work your going into.

3. Not that hard to my understanding but if your on a tight budget it may be difficult to find a place you actually feel safe to sleep in.

4. Roughly it will cost £10-£15 for a night club. Plus £4 - £10 for a single drink.
    And if your going to a pub £2 - £6 for a drink. Tons of cinema's
    about cost £10 - £15 for a ticket nowdays. Anything else you can think of.

5. Yes. £1.35 per bus ride. Just under £8 for an all zones train (oyster prices)
    £2.00 per bus ride (normal price) This goes up every year.

6. Its hard to say really if you look at what Ive answered to your other questions. If your earning £20 grand and up a year you should be well off.

7. Put the racism to 1 side. Most are nice enough people I guess. There are many wingers and quickly annoyed people here, because of how busy everyone is. There are good and bad 50/50

It may sound like im being a negative noddy, but Im really not. You can have really good times here If you hang out with some cool people / places.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What part of London are you talking about?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    London's an absolute **** hole, but it's better than anywhere else in the UK.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simibean)
    What part of London are you talking about?
    I'm not sure yet, first I need to get a job then I will know more or less the area. But with all the comments I got more or less an idea of what I should expect.

It Seems like London as all big cities has two side, and I can be really good if I'm in the right place with the right people. Otherwise, it may not be a good experience.

To be fair, I would rather stay outside London. But we will see.

Thank you all for the comment. If I end up going to London, then I will have more detail info and specific questions.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AceStacks)
    Unless ? Everyone thinks West London is the rich/nice area of London (excluding central) but its the same as the rest of london, some nice areas and some terrible ones.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How wrong you are, the amount of times we have been robbed etc
    I live in west London
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    How wrong you are, the amount of times we have been robbed etc
    I live in west London

If youre constantly getting robbed in west london then i dont know what would happen to you in places where the police dont even go
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If youre constantly getting robbed in west london then i dont know what would happen to you in places where the police dont even go
    Crime is bad every you go
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    london people are rude, plus theres too many tramps. you can't even walk 20 yards with out a charity fundraiser kid trying steal your card number. i dont know about other parts of london but when i get on a bus or underground and theres a middle aged black women/ asian women getting on too they will literal fight you for a seat. too much rudeness. peace.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I detest it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Crime is bad every you go
    go to black horse station after midnight and i promise you, you will change your mind.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrescoDiMorte)
    Unless ? Everyone thinks West London is the rich/nice area of London (excluding central) but its the same as the rest of london, some nice areas and some terrible ones.
    i know not everywhere in west london is a rich area but places like shepards bush and acton are no where near as bad as tottenham, waltham stow, hackney, brixton, streatham, tulse hill and peckham
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I live in North London but regularly pop into cenrtal London.
    Fast.. things get done.
    Definitely, can be a steep learning curve, but would be worth it.
    Not hard, but harder to find at a good price.
    Depends.. how good are you at finding vouchers/discounts?
    No, not really. Oyster cards cheapen things.
    Yes.
    Ok.... so... there's a big range. Most people are approachable friendly, ready to help... but you do get very moody people who are quite cynical about life in general.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 30, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.