Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Running?!

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I am just gunna come clean here, I can't run. I can just about do the 400m without stopping. Embarrassing right ? Basically, I have my black belt in November which, handily, includes a 2 mile run where you CAN'T stop. I would like to start running in the mornings, not just for black belt but I am really pushing myself over summer to tone up muscle wise and I do enjoy the freedom of exercise. Any tips for running would be useful, thanks in advance. ( when to go, eating before? What to eat as part of exercise diet, how far to run ect)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    C25K would be your best friend here.

Go whenever you like. Many people like going in the mornings because it's a fresh start to the day, you don't have to think about it later in the day, some believe it helps with fat loss, etc., etc.

If you want to eat before, go ahead. But make sure that whenever you do eat, you wait at least an hour. I once had horrible stitches when I was in the middle of my workout because I ate something about 10min prior to the workout. Some find that eating before running gives them more energy for the workout whilst others believe that not eating before will help them burn fat. I would say try both running before eating and running after and see which one you like and with which you have more energy to spend on your workout.

What to eat is quite debatable. Some say on workout days you should eat more carbs, whilst others say eat more protein. It really depends on your goals, I say have a good balance of both. More carbs means more energy for the workout, whilst more protein can help with building and repairing muscle.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with trying C25K. When I started I couldn't even run 400m, and I was completely mortified about running outside because of it. But now I can run a lot further, and while I haven't managed a 5k just yet, I know I will get to that stage in the future.

I like to go mid morning, a couple of hours after breakfast and just before lunch. But that's just personal preference; everyone has different ideas about when is best to run, and you should just keep trying different times to see which you prefer.
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dream of being able to run 400m (without dying) :moon:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agree totally with C25K. The regime really helps you to build up your distance so that you can cope with it.
    Thanks to C25K, I can now run a mile without stopping. Aiming for 2 miles now
    On weekdays, I run after school to act as a stress-buster but on weekends I run in the mornings as it gives an energy boost. I guess it has to suit you and your current lifestyle.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.