The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eggy_nog
It's much harder to get onto a graduate medicine course than an undergraduate one

Yes it is, but there is still about 500 people a year who get in and you'll never get in unless you apply. Someone has to fill those places, obviously it's harder but that doesn't mean that you can't try.
Does anyone else get the impression that, now we're preparing, the UKCAT seems like a hopeless waste of time and GAMSAT starts to look more attractive? I know it's strictly 'harder' due to learnt knowledge (and lots of it!) but the UKCAT seems unlearnable -- you can practice but it's very difficult to get much better at it beyond a point. Whereas the GAMSAT seems to be a case of just learning lots of information, something us Science grads are decent at anyway. I'll still sit the UKCAT first before deciding to do the GAMSAT but currently the latter is looking like a better option for me.
Original post by MattKneale
Does anyone else get the impression that, now we're preparing, the UKCAT seems like a hopeless waste of time and GAMSAT starts to look more attractive? I know it's strictly 'harder' due to learnt knowledge (and lots of it!) but the UKCAT seems unlearnable -- you can practice but it's very difficult to get much better at it beyond a point. Whereas the GAMSAT seems to be a case of just learning lots of information, something us Science grads are decent at anyway. I'll still sit the UKCAT first before deciding to do the GAMSAT but currently the latter is looking like a better option for me.

You say that now, and on the day of the GAMSAT after 5 hours you will be like- why ? I should have done just the UKCAT
I have to say I found the UKCAT a walk in the park compared to GAMSAT.
Ok so I'm just looking for some opinions, which route is better in your opinion? Which is easier to get into?

I'm just weighing up my options here, I left school without getting the results I needed (due do some personal circumstances) only to discover that two years on, medicine is still very much what I want to do, kind of. I've heard it's ridiculously competitive for graduates and so it's basically a shot in the dark, what about mature students?

My options are:

a) Study Biomedical science, possibly get disheartened by the long road ahead. Get in debt. Get left with a degree in a career that I don't want if I fail. Become one of thousands all doing the same things to get relatively few places. Granted I'll have experience of studying and uni life but aside from that I'll still be quite immature at the end of it and have very little life experience.

b) Train and join the Merchant Navy. This has been something that has been bugging me for ages. I'll have a trade, I can see the world a bit and have experience of working with people from all walks of life in tough conditions at times. I'll have money behind me so I can support myself through to a point and still be eligible for funding. So after a few years, come out and do an access course/Highers and then apply? And at least then If it doen't work out I can go back to the ships?

Which is better? Would I be ignored if I didn't have a degree?

Thanks
Reply 685
What if you try to get a degree in Biology with the OU while working? Would it be possible?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Lulila
What if you try to get a degree in Biology with the OU while working? Would it be possible?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'm pretty sure it would be possible, I was just wondering if it was better to have a degree from the admissions perspective.
Reply 687
Original post by AJ Smiley

Which is better? Would I be ignored if I didn't have a degree?

Thanks

to get into a graduate course? Yes. To get into a normal course? No, but then you have horrendous fees to pay instead. If you're going to do a degree, do one that you'll enjoy. You can get in some places with a non science one. But it sounds like you're leaning towards the latter option and that's nothing to be ashamed of either.
I'm from Scotland, so I need to pay fees as a graduate but not as a mature student. I really appreciate your reply, thankyou!!
I'm convinced I'll get there one day but it's always good to have other people's opinions
GCSEs 10A* 1A 1B 1C
A levels - Biology (C), History (D) & Chemistry (E) average for my school was DDD and I was bullied quite bad :frown: this is only part of my application that i think will hold me back
Degree - Biomedical Sciences with HPC registration ie one year placement in the NHS 2:1 (69.82% grrrrr)
UKCAT - hoping 700+ if I can pull abstract up a little from 2012

Work experience - total 1months shadowing (Hospital and GP), 4 years as St John advanced 1st aider and 1 year in the nhs as a trainee biomedical scientist with twice weekly INR clinics that I did unsupervised. Hopefully will have a job doing medical writing for the pharmaceutical industry that involves adverse effects reporting/ trouble shooting
Original post by TheMedicBarbie
I'm convinced I'll get there one day but it's always good to have other people's opinions
GCSEs 10A* 1A 1B 1C
A levels - Biology (C), History (D) & Chemistry (E) average for my school was DDD and I was bullied quite bad :frown: this is only part of my application that i think will hold me back
Degree - Biomedical Sciences with HPC registration ie one year placement in the NHS 2:1 (69.82% grrrrr)
UKCAT - hoping 700+ if I can pull abstract up a little from 2012

Work experience - total 1months shadowing (Hospital and GP), 4 years as St John advanced 1st aider and 1 year in the nhs as a trainee biomedical scientist with twice weekly INR clinics that I did unsupervised. Hopefully will have a job doing medical writing for the pharmaceutical industry that involves adverse effects reporting/ trouble shooting

Wow your GCSE's are amazing!
I think for you, you just need to focus on your UKCAT..if you get a great UKCAT you can apply to places like Warwick. Your Alevels are not the end of the world..some unis don't even look at them, just apply wisely!
Good luck!
Reply 691
Is it worth pursing graduate entry medicine with a 2.1, or is grad entry reserved for those with 1st class degrees?

Biomedical Science from KCL: 2.1
A-levels: AABa
GCSEs: Mostly Bs
UKCAT: haven't taken so far.

I've got work experience at hospital, GP, 3 months care home, charity work for past 3 years, tutoring children with literacy issues and teaching students for the past 2 years.

Or does the UKCAT play a big role in this?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by oz40
Is it worth pursing graduate entry medicine with a 2.1, or is grad entry reserved for those with 1st class degrees?

Biomedical Science from KCL: 2.1
A-levels: AABa
GCSEs: Mostly Bs
UKCAT: haven't taken so far.

I've got work experience at hospital, GP, 3 months care home, charity work for past 3 years, tutoring children with literacy issues and teaching students for the past 2 years.

Or does the UKCAT play a big role in this?

Definatly a lot of uni just look at 2:1 and above then consider your application. Notts will take a 2:2
Reply 693
I know Birmingham specifically ask for a 1st.

What other universities might I have a chance with a 2.1?
Original post by oz40
I know Birmingham specifically ask for a 1st.

What other universities might I have a chance with a 2.1?

Pretty much all the others. IIRC most don't give preference to those with a 1st, though you should check with potential choices.
Original post by AJ Smiley
I'm from Scotland, so I need to pay fees as a graduate but not as a mature student. I really appreciate your reply, thankyou!!

@ AJ smiley.

I am in a similar situation myself. I am from Scotland as well and really have [had] my heart set on a career in medicine. I really wanted to apply for 2013 entry but decided against it simply because of the financial constraints it would place upon myself and parents. I had done my research and identified the universities that I wanted to apply to. They included Dundee, Keele, Kings and Warwick universities. However, the 3 English universities are out of the question simply because I cannot afford to pay £9000 per year for tuition fees. When you include other factors such as the cost of rent, books and living costs etc I am looking at potentially £50,000 + worth of debt; it’s money I simply do not have. It is even worse for American students studying for a medical degree (MD/DO). Many complete their studies with several hundred thousand dollars worth of debt. I already have approximately £16K worth of debt from my previous degree and am ineligible to take out another student loan as the SAAS will not fund a second degree. I am sure there are many other people out there in my situation. Not being an English resident either, I would not qualify for an NHS bursary if I did decide to apply to an English university. I even enquired into a commercial loan but was strongly advised against it because of the high interest rates. Even Dundee University seems financially undoable - at the moment - despite the cheaper tuition fees here in Scotland. I feel dejected about Dundee because it is a great medical school. I actually did my History degree there (MA 2:1) and so the university and city have a special place in my heart. They have a widening access course that I am eligible for but again, £1900 a year for six years - whilst a lot cheaper compared to rest of the UK - is still a lot of money. My parents would love to help me out but they cannot afford it; both are retired. Also, being 27 and currently unemployed I really do not think it is their responsibility or duty to pay me through another degree no matter how much I want to do it. Shame, I had booked my ukcat test for the 19th July in Glasgow 1 day before my 28th birthday but had to cancel it last month. That was a terrible day. However, if I ever came into enough money then I would certainly finance my way through med school without hesitation. I am thinking of saving-up for a few years before I apply to Dundee in the future. However, Dundee is a very small medical school and I wonder how wise and worthwhile it would be to apply to a single medical school. Oh well, at least I can say I was 'good enough' for medical school. I wish you (and anyone else in my situation) the very best and hope you manage to get the funding you require.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 696
Original post by MattKneale

Did you know you can sit the GAMSAT in March also? It's advantageous because you'll know if your score meets the school requirements before you submit your 4 UCAS choices. It's the Irish GAMSAT but do they have a venue in London and it was still valid for UK med schools for 2 years when I sat it.

I'm sure you lot will do fine in the September session but it's worth bearing in mind in case you're applying for 2014 entry.

Anyway, don't give up on your dreams or on these exams, apparently a fair percentage of people don't even turn up!

Best of luck
Tofumedic
Reply 697
Just got 687.5 in the UKCAT :frown:

Where do i stand in terms of cut-offs? Particularly regarding Warwick and Kings
Original post by tired
Just got 687.5 in the UKCAT :frown:

Where do i stand in terms of cut-offs? Particularly regarding Warwick and Kings

Should be fine for Warwick and Barts and The London GEPs. Not high enough for the KCL GEP though I'm afraid, but their cut-off is insanely high...mid 700s usually. But that's a very good score, last year you would have been well above the 80th %ile. Well done :smile:
Reply 699
Original post by Democracy
Should be fine for Warwick and Barts and The London GEPs. Not high enough for the KCL GEP though I'm afraid, but their cut-off is insanely high...mid 700s usually. But that's a very good score, last year you would have been well above the 80th %ile. Well done :smile:

What kind of score do KCL GEP want?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending