Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dentist charging me

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The other day i went back to my dentist to say that my gums are still receeding after a scale and polish, after a month.

All he did was say that there was nothing wrong with my teeth and that my gums are receeding a little, but nothing was needed. Which took about 2 minutes.

I then get a letter charging me over £7.

WTF!
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most people would check if they have to pay before hand...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You had an appointment... You have to pay for dentist appointments... I don't see any issue with this.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dentists are charlatans in my opinion.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini-Cooper)
    You had an appointment... You have to pay for dentist appointments... I don't see any issue with this.
    :yy:

(Original post by abcd12)
    The other day i went back to my dentist to say that my gums are still receeding after a scale and polish, after a month.

All he did was say that there was nothing wrong with my teeth and that my gums are receeding a little, but nothing was needed. Which took about 2 minutes.

WTF!

People's time costs you money.

A typical dentist check-up appointment (on the NHS!) for me costs £18 - so for a brief consultation on an issue to be £7 it's really not that surprising.

Life isn't free, and the government can't and shouldn't pay for everything. Check these things in advance of using the service in future, if you're worried about them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're a student then you don't have to pay but otherwise that's life!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddington-bear12)
    If you're a student then you don't have to pay but otherwise that's life!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Students over 19 pay, unless they're in receipt of a valid HC2 / HC3 form.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thats not much for seeing a dentist, at my dentist (luckily, i dont pay) i'll be in the waiting room and i'll see a family of 4 paying hundreds of pounds for a check up!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the NHS. Please leave all notions of fairness and value for money at the door.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As said before, my dentist costs £18 for just a routine check up. So count yourself lucky it's only £7. However, if you're 19 or under and are still a student it should be free.

Dentists are such a rip off. I went last week to the dentist and hygeinist, cost me £70. And then I've got to get a filling in a couple of weeks, and because I want a white filling (and therefore privately), it's costing me another £95.

Needless to say, I'm now finally taking up the dentist's advice and buying an electric toothbrush, and even bought floss the other day :eek:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    As said before, my dentist costs £18 for just a routine check up. So count yourself lucky it's only £7. However, if you're 19 or under and are still a student it should be free.

Dentists are such a rip off. I went last week to the dentist and hygeinist, cost me £70. And then I've got to get a filling in a couple of weeks, and because I want a white filling (and therefore privately), it's costing me another £95.

Needless to say, I'm now finally taking up the dentist's advice and buying an electric toothbrush, and even bought floss the other day :eek:
    Oh paying £95 for a white filling on private, the horror!
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quattro94)
    Welcome to the NHS. Please leave all notions of fairness and value for money at the door.
    Try going privately and then come back and talk about value for money.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If everyone went to the doctor for a 2-minute session and didn't expect to pay, the doctor would be broke and their surgery would have to close.

You had an appointment and now are having to pay for that? Where is the issue, sorry?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Oh paying £95 for a white filling on private, the horror!
    I don't get it :confused: I'm only explaining why the filling is so expensive. You can't get a white filling on the NHS, only a silver one. So that's why I've opted for private...

Please don't lash out on me
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jam')
    If everyone went to the doctor for a 2-minute session and didn't expect to pay, the doctor would be broke and their surgery would have to close.
    People in the UK don't pay to see their doctor, it's free and they can go as often as they want. Hence their shock at having to pay actual money to see a dentist.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

WTF!
    WTF indeed - I'm amazed!

I've literally never heard of a dentist charging only £7 for an appointment.

Could you post their details so that others can share your good fortune?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

WTF!
    Don't worry, when I become a dentist I'll give you a discount
    Don't sweat it
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    I don't get it :confused: I'm only explaining why the filling is so expensive. You can't get a white filling on the NHS, only a silver one. So that's why I've opted for private...

Please don't lash out on me
    I used to get white ones on the NHS :confused:
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:

WTF!
    SEVEN pounds to see a qualified dentist and have an examination performed?

That's like, what, two drinks on a night out?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 16, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.